So.....Peel or Roll-over....why is one better then the other?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
here is a video of one of the best softball pitchers. it shows the fast ball, change up, roll-over drop and the rise Angela Tinncher.m4v - YouTube

Do you think her fastball looks a bit HE-ish?

2i2lp0.gif

Jul 14, 2008
And the "Fantasy" continues............

This is the "roll over drill"..........

35l6xqo.gif

This is the "roll over pitch"..........

v6u3qe.gif

Ya right.............

Like I said.........No such thing as a "roll over drop"............

May 5, 2010
Based on the video, what I see is that the roll over drop is the opposite of the rise ball. Saying there is no such thing as a roll over drop is like saying there is no riseball.

May 4, 2009
Baltimore
Yes, but HE has nothing to do with pitching, it's just something some pitchers are taught to do after they actually pitch.

-W

Notice the hand for the riseball with Tincher is in the cocked position all the way through the motion. There is no timing of a snap. That is how I teach it.

Feb 7, 2013
Based on the video, what I see is that the roll over drop is the opposite of the rise ball. Saying there is no such thing as a roll over drop is like saying there is no riseball.

Slo-motion video of the "rollover drop" has proven out that even though it feels like the hand is on top of the ball at release, it's not and the fingers are behind the ball and come off the fingers almost identical to the peel drop.

Compare her rollover drop drill, where she throws the ball into the ground right in front of her versus how she pitches in full windmill motion. If she tried to get her hand on top of the ball (like she does in the drill) she would throw the ball into the ground in front of her (albeit with a little more velocity). So she adjusts her mechanics and has to get her hand behind the ball to get it to the catcher.

A classic example of a high-level pitcher teaching something different than how she actually pitches (the Hanson Principle at it's finest):)

Last edited:

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
On a related note, does anyone have a video of *ANY* college or NPF pitcher throwing the "classic" peel?

There is a video of Cat throwing a "classic" peel, but it is on her instructional video.

Other than Cat, I haven't found a video of anyone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish