Help! Lack of Drop Ball Bite

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 31, 2019
You have to be sure you know what type of spin she's putting on the ball and if it changes from pitch to pitch, otherwise it's just speculation. Take a marker and put quarter size spots on the ball, this will allow you see the spin. If the spin changes from the pitch that drops to the one that doesn't then you know what the issue is and where to start. And for IR just use your phone and take some video in slow motion. If her elbow is leading down into release and her hand is on the side of the ball you're good, if her hand is getting on top of the ball coming into release then she's pushing and not using IR efficiently.
Armwhip, where on the sides, or what sides do you put the dots? Can you add a pic?

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
Armwhip, where on the sides, or what sides do you put the dots? Can you add a pic?
I am not concerned about seam orientation so I have two different ways of doing it, I'm not sure if one is any better than the other. For the first way I put a solid circle about 1.5" in each of the four 'horseshoes'. For the second I use smaller circles, less than an inch, and place them between the seams, there's maybe 10-12 in all.

Oct 1, 2014
USA
Or you can do what Ken B does and that's mark the seams black.
Personally like this approach better than a taped/colored stripe or the dots on the ball. Right or wrong, I hope it helps teach them to read the seams (orientation) better. That is important for the athlete to see what they are throwing and hopefully make adjustments on their own.

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
Personally like this approach better than a taped/colored stripe or the dots on the ball. Right or wrong, I hope it helps teach them to read the seams (orientation) better. That is important for the athlete to see what they are throwing and hopefully make adjustments on their own.

Sharing some of DD’s experience for others. We started with the stripe. And even then (at 10u/12u) DD had a hard time seeing it. We used it all of the time but pitch after pitch she couldn’t tell me orientation. Then one day it clicked and she could see it (or focus on it). After awhile we then mixed in the colored seam balls. Now she can see it in game with no issue. It was a bit of progression.

I only share this so if others are experiencing similar. Not everyone sees the same object the same way. I encourage trying both.

As her catcher, I prefer the stripe. It’s easier for me to pickup while I’m watching other mechanics and attempting to catch the ball. But maybe that’s be me being selfish not wanting to get hit in the shins…..

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
Data has shown that seam orientation does not matter much when it comes to Magnus effect, spin axis is far more important. In baseball 4 seam and 2 seam fastballs are thrown differently and a four seam grip in softball is more about comfort than movement.

Last edited:

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Data has shown that seam orientation does not matter much when it comes to Magnus effect, spin axis is far more important. In baseball 4 seam and 2 seam fastballs are thrown differently and a four seam grip is more about comfort than movement.
Exactly.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
We use the band/string for my DD as well. Started out at 10ft, then moved in to 8ft and 6ft. Our goal is set the string at release height and the ball to go just over (or to skim) the string and end with the drop movement. This lets her work on getting the break to happen later aiding in the deception.

But, I have her throw into a backstop net or I wear gear because if the string grabs the ball it can act like a sling shot with the redirect.

I go 7 ft out and set the string just above knee height.

Here is what you need to be using. Chinese jumping rope.

The ball will not change direction (the rope is elastic) and the colors are easy to see for a visual aid.

This is what I ordered, 2 pk because I have two pitchers going. You can order singles. CAUTION tie a knot at each end. Or else the elastic center will move within the outer rope. Leaving the outer sleeve shriveled up with the rope separated.

Hey, I caught one off the shin 3 weeks ago and there is still a big knot. You have to take one for the team and… remember to put on your shin guards🤪

With the rope set. I tell them to think of shooting a basketball upside down, over the rope/rim and into a target/hoop below the rope.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Hey that late movement is real stuff. If the the batter commits to where they think the ball is heading and it moves late, that’s hard to even make contact. 🥎🥎🥎 Strike three!

When I bought my Personal pitcher I had it set to fast, to close, and throwing sliders. I was just waving at the ball.

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2015
I cringe too, probably for different reasons.

One COULD argue, the "mediocre" drop is needed to make the riseball seem even better.

I would say my DD has a mediocre drop but very good rise.

Why would mediocre be better? More downward movement gives it away that’s its not a rise?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarahjackson13