Help! Lack of Drop Ball Bite

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 4, 2020
Hi folks, DD is an IR/Tincher pitcher (Made the switch from HE 1.5 years ago). Based on her action, her coach determined the peel (vs rollover) was the best approach to the drop for her. At release, the untrained eye would assume its a rollover style drop though given the follow through she was taught - sort of a whipping action over the top and into the near thigh after release.

THE CHALLENGE: When throwing the ball low she seems to be able to get the ball to bite and drop at the plate. It's never called a strike and doesn't appear to be a strike coming in because of how low it is. Batters correctly perceive it as a low ball so they never swing at it to produce the hoped for weak hit or swung miss. When she elevates the pitch a bit , it comes in as a fastball with no bite. Am I overthinking and should just let her work through over time? I perceive the drop to be key to her success as she's not throwing a rise yet and her curve is still developing - also with very little bite. Coach says she's seeing good spin though. Any thoughts on how to address?

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Hi folks, DD is an IR/Tincher pitcher (Made the switch from HE 1.5 years ago). Based on her action, her coach determined the peel (vs rollover) was the best approach to the drop for her. At release, the untrained eye would assume its a rollover style drop though given the follow through she was taught - sort of a whipping action over the top and into the near thigh after release.

THE CHALLENGE: When throwing the ball low she seems to be able to get the ball to bite and drop at the plate. It's never called a strike and doesn't appear to be a strike coming in because of how low it is. Batters correctly perceive it as a low ball so they never swing at it to produce the hoped for weak hit or swung miss. When she elevates the pitch a bit , it comes in as a fastball with no bite. Am I overthinking and should just let her work through over time? I perceive the drop to be key to her success as she's not throwing a rise yet and her curve is still developing - also with very little bite. Coach says she's seeing good spin though. Any thoughts on how to address?
Age bracket?

Oct 4, 2020
When did she start throwing at 43 ft?
Oh gosh, maybe 3 years ago? I believe the switch is made at 12U so she was 11 years old. She just turned 15 so maybe just over 3 years. One thing to note is her spin pitches developed a little late because of the change from HE to IR. Basic mechanics were the focus for the last year and a half. And not sure if its relevant she does still have some push through the zone now and then that she is working through. Whip seems to be coming hard given all the pushing through the zone she's done as a HE pitcher. Also, she relies quite a bit on the CU so I'm thinking there's some push through the zone there as well. Hope all this makes sense. Sometimes it's hard to describe things in this pitching world. (I was a center fielder. ;))

Oct 1, 2014
USA
There are a lot of resources on this site discussing this pitch (ie: homework) that I would review as well as asking your PC. If she's using true IR follow the Peel Drop mechanics. The object is to have that pitch pass through the same "tunnel" as her other pitches and start movement/dropping before it reaches the plate. I like using the chinese jump rope as a way for DD to really see where and how much the ball moves. And please, please teach your DD to read that spin correctly on her own rather than relying on a coach - she needs to understand it herself if she ever intends to make adjustments in games.

Oct 4, 2020
There are a lot of resources on this site discussing this pitch (ie: homework) that I would review as well as asking your PC. If she's using true IR follow the Peel Drop mechanics. The object is to have that pitch pass through the same "tunnel" as her other pitches and start movement/dropping before it reaches the plate. I like using the chinese jump rope as a way for DD to really see where and how much the ball moves. And please, please teach your DD to read that spin correctly on her own rather than relying on a coach - she needs to understand it herself if she ever intends to make adjustments in games.
Thanks Tatonka. Yes I've read a lot of what is available on the site. Some of it has been useful, some not. Part of the reason for this IMHO, is that the language that's used during the conversation can be difficult to understand contextually for a bucket dad. And if I can't comprehend it I can't pass it along. And so, my rationale for posting a new thread was twofold:

1) I truly believe her challenge is unique (drop happens when pitched low, drop does not happen when pitched slightly higher - comes in as a big meatball) and not described in any of these earlier very useful threads
2) To account for the comprehension/language problem I perceive, I thought I would engage in the conversation myself directly so I am able to clarify particular points that seem relevant in real time rather than trying to understand what others said in the past. Learning can be a tricky thing so embracing the learning moment is important - that's what I'm attempting to do.

And so, I apologize if it seems I've waisted the groups time with what is considered a redundant, repeated question but for the reasons I outlined above I felt the juice was worth the squeeze. BUT, please rest assured I have, and continue to read prior posts about the topic. Maybe the fact that there are so many posts about it is an indication that proper learning hasn't taken place with those that need it the most? It's one thing for PC coaches to wax philosophical in this little world, it's quite another thing for learning to occur with those most in need of it. Dialogue is the key.

Jan 28, 2017
Personally think a traditional peel drop is hard to throw with true IR. Pronation drop like Pauly teaches or Hillhouse drop would work better IMO.

I love setting a Tincher Band about 4 feet in front of home plate and trying to hit it and throwing drop. Gives you an idea of how much dropping and how high the ball has to be.

Jul 31, 2015
I'm not a drop ball expert, so please take this lightly, but if the ball is dropping when it's thrown low and not dropping when it's thrown higher, it's pretty likely her mechanics, i.e. grip and ability to use the seams to create spin, are changing from one to the other. My guess is she's not able to get her hand over the ball unless the release point is low.

How tall is she? Does she have relatively big hands? Small hands?
Can she feel a difference in her grip or release when throwing low vs higher?

Oct 4, 2020
I'm not a drop ball expert, so please take this lightly, but if the ball is dropping when it's thrown low and not dropping when it's thrown higher, it's pretty likely her mechanics, i.e. grip and ability to use the seams to create spin, are changing from one to the other. My guess is she's not able to get her hand over the ball unless the release point is low.

How tall is she? Does she have relatively big hands? Small hands?
Can she feel a difference in her grip or release when throwing low vs higher?
This is sort of what I was thinking as well, as a layperson of course. She's 5'4" so not super tall and not "big handed" so to speak. As to feeling the difference, I'll have to ask her...not something I've thought to ask. I'll get back to you on that one.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go_Ask_Mom