Signing Day for kids that don't play school ball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 25, 2019
Maybe it does in most cases, but I assure you that is not the case in this situation. I really was just looking to see what other kids have done in similar situations. I know my kid is not the only one on this forum that doesn't play for her high school. There are so many crappy situations that would cause a kid not to play and they have all been posted here. I was not looking for judgement on whether or not my kid was a dick for not playing school ball, but I guess people can't help themselves.
Oh, I have no problem at all with a player not being on the school team for whatever reason, but you certainly cannot expect the school to host a signing then......

Nov 18, 2013
Maybe it does in most cases, but I assure you that is not the case in this situation. I really was just looking to see what other kids have done in similar situations. I know my kid is not the only one on this forum that doesn't play for her high school. There are so many crappy situations that would cause a kid not to play and they have all been posted here. I was not looking for judgement on whether or not my kid was a dick for not playing school ball, but I guess people can't help themselves.

I led off my comment that it might not be the case in your situation. I don’t know you, your DD or anything about your situation. I was responding to another question about what it says about a school if a D1 athlete doesn’t play school ball and I don’t think it’s any reflection on the school, athletic department, coaches or students if a kid chooses not to play.

Getting so upset because somebody offered an opinion you disagree with and being so quick to sling names tells me exactly what happened in your DD’s situation.

May 20, 2016
As a high school AD we would not let a kid sign at the school unless she played for our school team. I totally respect a parent and kids decision to not play for the high school team, but then you don’t get to sign at the school ceremony when you didn’t represent that school on the field.

To plays devils advocate here, pretty sure that kids parent payed taxes for that field? Regardless if they played on it or not. Would assume the school would be proud of any of its students that excelled.

Oct 26, 2019
To plays devils advocate here, pretty sure that kids parent payed taxes for that field? Regardless if they played on it or not. Would assume the school would be proud of any of its students that excelled.
If I was a parent of a kid who was singing to a college, but didn’t play for the high school I would probably advocate the same way for my kid. However, I see it like this - we do singing day with all of our athletes in a ceremony together as an athletic department across all sports. You and your child (not you specifically) chose not to participate in that athletic department, so you can’t pick and choose parts you want to participate in.

The taxes argument doesn’t hold up either, because there is nothing that guarantees your child school athletics. Your only guaranteed a free and public education - sports are extra-curricular. The kids who got cut pay taxes too.

Aug 25, 2019
Going back to your original post, does you TB team have a complex you can have it at?...That organization will certainly praise a D1 signing on their social media.

Dec 15, 2018
CT
Just being a little philosophical on "signing day celebrations" in general (not an indictment of the kids, they should be rightfully proud of their accomplishment, and there's nothing wrong with acknowledgment)....

But I would just think about the whole concept (since it really wasn't a thing 25 years ago outside of football - and in my opinion the football ceremonies, at least the nationally televised ones, while nominally are a celebration of the student athlete, are in reality almost ENTIRELY for the benefit of the colleges and their recruiting).

Are we celebrating the student? Their school? The school they've chosen? Who is benefiting from the ceremony? Who is the product?

Again, not crapping on anyone. These are done in all kinds of ways. Some just super local, a picture in the town rag, etc. Some are giant productions. Some are official through the high school, and some are self-produced twitter/FB shows...And I'm just writing out loud here, so be gentle.

Aug 6, 2013
I led off my comment that it might not be the case in your situation. I don’t know you, your DD or anything about your situation. I was responding to another question about what it says about a school if a D1 athlete doesn’t play school ball and I don’t think it’s any reflection on the school, athletic department, coaches or students if a kid chooses not to play.

Getting so upset because somebody offered an opinion you disagree with and being so quick to sling names tells me exactly what happened in your DD’s situation.
OP didn’t sling any names at anyone. A post questioning why his DD isn’t playing for the school wasn’t needed either honestly. I’m sure he has had to deal with this issue quite a bit as shown by posts who couldn’t resist pointing out how they would question a D1 caliber kid not playing for their HS.

Getting to the question though I would do it big and proud at the TB facility. Post those pics on Twitter and social media and celebrate the great accomplishment your daughter made!! Congrats.

Oct 26, 2019
Just being a little philosophical on "signing day celebrations" in general (not an indictment of the kids, they should be rightfully proud of their accomplishment, and there's nothing wrong with acknowledgment)....

But I would just think about the whole concept (since it really wasn't a thing 25 years ago outside of football - and in my opinion the football ceremonies, at least the nationally televised ones, while nominally are a celebration of the student athlete, are in reality almost ENTIRELY for the benefit of the colleges and their recruiting).

Are we celebrating the student? Their school? The school they've chosen? Who is benefiting from the ceremony? Who is the product?

Again, not crapping on anyone. These are done in all kinds of ways. Some just super local, a picture in the town rag, etc. Some are giant productions. Some are official through the high school, and some are self-produced twitter/FB shows...And I'm just writing out loud here, so be gentle.
I try as best I can to make our ceremony a time for the athlete to publicly thank everyone who helped them achieve their goals. I don’t believe anyone is 100% self-made. Everyone has help along the way and it is important to me that our athletes say thanks to those people. It is also a good opportunity for their younger teammates and student body to see what is possible to achieve and what it may take to get there.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Celebrate everyday in our lives how we want!
Not up to anyone else to take notice and bake a cake.

Nov 18, 2013
OP didn’t sling any names at anyone. A post questioning why his DD isn’t playing for the school wasn’t needed either honestly. I’m sure he has had to deal with this issue quite a bit as shown by posts who couldn’t resist pointing out how they would question a D1 caliber kid not playing for their HS.

Getting to the question though I would do it big and proud at the TB facility. Post those pics on Twitter and social media and celebrate the great accomplishment your daughter made!! Congrats.

I reread his response and you’re right about the name calling. He wasn’t calling me a dick, but he still jumped on me about “not being able to help myself” when I said nothing about his DD.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DDubyah