Signing Day for kids that don't play school ball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 21, 2012
Just curious if anyone has/had a DD that didn't play for their HS team and what you did about signing day. My DD played for her HS 7-9th grade, but is no longer on the team and they will not allow her to sign at the school. She is an excellent student and will be signing with a D1 school. I just thought that Any student signing to play a sport in college would make the school look good, but that is apparently not the case. Any input is appreciated, thanks!

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
You can do a private ceremony with your freinds and family. Maybe do something with her TB coaches?

Our school did not do early signing...before I became booster club president. We had a family that was not happy and didn't want to wait, so they did their own at home. This is also from a family who didn't let their kid play her senior year, which really hurt the team. I am still bitter.

Aug 25, 2019
Just curious if anyone has/had a DD that didn't play for their HS team and what you did about signing day. My DD played for her HS 7-9th grade, but is no longer on the team and they will not allow her to sign at the school. She is an excellent student and will be signing with a D1 school. I just thought that Any student signing to play a sport in college would make the school look good, but that is apparently not the case. Any input is appreciated, thanks!
Well I agree with the school here. What does that say about the school program when a D1 player didn't want to play on the team?

Jul 21, 2012
Well I agree with the school here. What does that say about the school program when a D1 player didn't want to play on the team?
It says the school doesn't want to hire a qualified coach in to coach the girls softball team. In fact none of the girls sports coaches at her school have experience with the sport that they are coach. Their focus is on the boy's teams and that's it. They built a 180 million dollar school with amazing facilities, but their disregard for the girl's programs is very sad. My kid is not the only high level athlete that isn't playing for the school.

Jul 21, 2012
You can do a private ceremony with your freinds and family. Maybe do something with her TB coaches?

Our school did not do early signing...before I became booster club president. We had a family that was not happy and didn't want to wait, so they did their own at home. This is also from a family who didn't let their kid play her senior year, which really hurt the team. I am still bitter.
That's what we will likely do. I just wasn't sure if anyone else had been in a similar situation. It's just disappointing that she has worked so hard, is an excellent student that has never been in trouble and really was looking forward to signing at the school. We will just make sure to make it special at home. Her travel coach has already said she will be there.

Nov 18, 2013

it might not be the case in this instance, but it usually says a lot more about the athlete than the school.

Jul 21, 2012
it might not be the case in this instance, but it usually says a lot more about the athlete than the school.
Maybe it does in most cases, but I assure you that is not the case in this situation. I really was just looking to see what other kids have done in similar situations. I know my kid is not the only one on this forum that doesn't play for her high school. There are so many crappy situations that would cause a kid not to play and they have all been posted here. I was not looking for judgement on whether or not my kid was a dick for not playing school ball, but I guess people can't help themselves.

Nov 15, 2019
I've seen some sign at their hitting facility with their hitting coach and travel coach in attendance.

Oct 26, 2019
As a high school AD we would not let a kid sign at the school unless she played for our school team. I totally respect a parent and kids decision to not play for the high school team, but then you don’t get to sign at the school ceremony when you didn’t represent that school on the field.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi