"Shove the Glove" to counter the distraction force

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
Oh no!!! I use the term "Shove the glove" too (and have for a long time). I didn't realize I had "once again" plagiarized.

First it was my riseball grip that I've used nearly all my life (which I never claimed to have invented in the first place). Of course, now I realize that I used material that someone else was also using. I didn't realize that the grip I was taught when I was 17 years old or so was actually invented by someone in today's softball era!! Imagine my surprise to have learned I "stole" the grip from someone who invented it and passed it on to pitchers from USA to New Zealand to South Africa to Taiwan to Europe. I mean, literally everywhere in the world I went to either play or coach, the guys I was with/against were using almost the same exact grip for the riseball!! And all this time, the "inventor" of that grip was right under my nose. Apparently it was someone who I had never heard of before the internet existed, and someone I had never emailed or "met" online since I got into softball pitching coaching in 2003. Don't worry, the math doesn't add up for me either: started using my riseball grip in 1988 (approx). Started playing internationally in 1990. Started coaching pitchers in 2003. But apparently I "stole" this grip of the pitch in 2012.

Now it's this expression. I feel like such a failure. And to think, here I was thinking I was smart enough to have thought of that rhyming phrase all by myself!!! Now I have something else to be ashamed of.

Bill

The young lady in that video was a student of mine in 2002 or 2003. I was using that phrase then and for some time before that. I believe that was years before I ever even heard your name. Unless you used the term "Shove the glove" in the first 10 minutes of you first video, which was all I saw of it, I would have picked up on it.

If you also use that term, good for you. Even the youngest of students will remember that phrase. I never claimed to invent that method or hold any claim to the phrase. Do you have some sort of trade name filed on this term?

I dont care what riseball you use. I have never said I invented a riseball grip of any type. I did teach the ''Flick" rise to many students and teach it in my book, maybe I can claim the name of that one but surely someone before me invented it. I have said that I have taught three different grips for different riseballs to my students.

Dont know what else to tell ya on this riseball and shove the glove thing.

Aug 21, 2008
Hal

So, if that expression is not said in the first 10 minutes of a video that means it was never used? I can think of A LOT of expressions and phrases that I didn't say in my videos, did my 10 minute expiration timelimit occur on them too? I have multiple ways of telling a pitcher to use their arms: "arms lead the way", "shove the glove".

I can honestly say, you are the only person I've ever come to know who has different names for their grips of the riseball... as if naming it differently means its a whole new pitch. When I was a young pitcher, I tried every grip of imaginable but I was trying to achieve the same goal: backspin. I have had anyone explain a riseball to me as a "bent finger rise" or "flick rise" or anything else in your dictionary. A rise is a rise is a rise. ...or so I thought.

:)

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
I say... throw a jab with glove,and kick(Yoko-Geri-Keagi) with stride or (strike~pc) foot, at same time,the glove to only get dust in the eye,and the the foot to hit just above the knee, providing the distraction to throw a uppercut to the gut, while using the glove to block(Aze-Uki) the face, as you bring the knee up to finish off the supposed opponent, who should be doubled over, and ready to receive the knee right to the chin....

I'm just trying to make sure DD can protect her self also with all this time we put into pitching, and dropping out of Karate.... Think my first video of pitching was a couple ladies teaching the Superman... I had her Sensei check this all out before committed to this Style of pitching. Her Sensei (Studied under the US Olympic Coach) liked it as an rendition of the ancient movements. He said it was Katas worthy... I'm getting ready to have him teach her how to use a bat next. :{))

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wFXShIWKoM&feature=player_embedded

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
PC,
After watching the Karate video, I found myself singing the "Head and Shoulders, Knees and Toes" song! (watch the little one behind Sensei)

(Sorry--couldn't help myself trying out the double post thing. Does that count as plagiarism?)

May 4, 2009
Baltimore
Coach Hillhouse,
Do you believe a good glove shove can add inches to a leap?
I am not Bill, but in my opinion a good glove shove definitely adds power to the pitch and the forward momentum and therefore increases the leap. It's pure physics.

By the way, Hillhouse posted the same message twice. Now he is plagiarizing himself. lol

Aug 21, 2008
Coach Hillhouse,
Do you believe a good glove shove can add inches to a leap?

No question. Think about trying to jump in the air... the first thing we do is get as much momentum from our arms as we possibly can. Because the "arms lead the way".

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Thanks. That's one of the things I talk about early on and demonstrate/practice the difference in feel and energy when using the hands to explode forward. The difference seems to be about 6 inches in my experience. The motion also seems to contribute well to the overall motion and timing.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
As a former PE teacher, let's have you try this. Do a standing broad jump, w/o the use of the arms. Now, use the arms and explode from a sort of a squat. Do you notice a difference? We could also throw in here, that at no time, do we smack ourselves in the thigh, during this exercise.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
I gave the Bent Fingered rise its name so my students knew which riseball we were talking about. Prior to that, it was just a riseball to me.

The cut rise I certainly did not name.

The Flick rise never really had a name until two of my 12u students named it. Was working with one student, the other was waiting as she was next. I was kind of struggling trying to get her to understand what to do with the index finger at release, she just was not getting it.

At one point the other student stops me and says to her "Sherry, make the OK sign where your pointer touches your thumb. Now pretend you have a boogar on your thumb and the seam is the boogar. Now try and 'flick' that boggar across the room". The first student instantly knew what she meant and 'got it'. So the actual full name is 'The boogar flick' curve and rise. After that, I used the 'Boogar flick' explanation with every student I taught it to, including a few college students and a few international students. And, of course, I gave credit for the name to those two 12u students before I started the lesson.

I watched your first video that you sent me for 10 minutes or so. I also let you know at that time why I could not give it thumbs up.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sdwingnut