"Shove the Glove" to counter the distraction force

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
This thread and @FrozenRope's posts helped me take a good look at what I teach and why. @Screwball / @Out in Left Field's posts (directed to me) were also helpful in simplifying and personalizing my instruction. I used to think there should be some sort of step by step set of drills that would turn a girl into a good pitcher. Now I find that every pitcher presents a challenge to find ways to build awareness and knowledge. I wish I could go back and teach what I know now--yet at the same time; I know that in a couple years, I'll look back and regret something I'm now teaching in full confidence! (Thank you Coach Enquist for helping me realize this!)

DFP overall has been the biggest and bestest resource/influence in helping me help our girls become the best they can be. @BoardMember, @javasource, @Rick Pauly, @Rich Balswick, @FiveFrameSwing, @Hillhouse and many, many other posters and threads have contributed to me and my daughter's growth--and the success of our students. My daughter, at 17, has become a better instructor than me in some aspects. Her pitching and hitting are definitely a result of the shared DFP knowledge and experience. There is gold buried in the archives of DFP. There is also gold to come with the knowledge and experience of so many coaches here at DFP. Huge thanks to @sluggers, @Ken Krause and the DFP crew for keeping DFP alive and well.

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2018
Marikina, Philippines
At one point the other student stops me and says to her "Sherry, make the OK sign where your pointer touches your thumb. Now pretend you have a boogar on your thumb and the seam is the boogar. Now try and 'flick' that boggar across the room". The first student instantly knew what she meant and 'got it'. So the actual full name is 'The boogar flick' curve and rise. After that, I used the 'Boogar flick' explanation with every student I taught it to, including a few college students and a few international students. And, of course, I gave credit for the name to those two 12u students before I started the lesson.

Perhaps we could stack the deck by recruiting only accomplished, or perhaps high potential 12U nose-pickers? Of course I would give credit where credit is due.

I am joking, but you communicate as required to get the point across.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi