"Shove the Glove" to counter the distraction force

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

@ Hal and Bill

Perhaps you two should just quit replying to each other, there seems to be people here that favor one or the other and some who try to make sense of what each you is trying to say. I have to say though this back and forth recently is a bit off-putting to me and it has to be to others as well. Say your piece and let us bucket Dads digest it for ouselves, i dont care what any one pitching coach says there are very successfull pitchers using different methods at ALL levels of play.
I am really getting tired of the whole it's this way or you suck thing. Sorry if this comes off as a rant, but I guess it is. Like I said there are many of us that have alot of respect for one or each of you. Please drop the back and forth lest some of us lose resect for you both.

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
PC,
After watching the Karate video, I found myself singing the "Head and Shoulders, Knees and Toes" song! (watch the little one behind Sensei)

KenB.... You got it!!! that little pig tailed blond will be pitching next.... shirt tail relative. Unlike DD she will have a brown belt when she starts.... :{)) She will be saying this is alot easyier than defending 12'x12' area, and learn every term in Japanense. :{)) That's why it is no suprise to me, that Japan is the World Champs of 2012.

Here was DD's mentor:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDW5ftLQi04&feature=player_embedded

"This game is easy" ~Tim Smith

EP: sould have posted this in the "Making a timid girl "Ms. Attitude" thread

Last edited:

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
@ Hal and Bill

Perhaps you two should just quit replying to each other, there seems to be people here that favor one or the other and some who try to make sense of what each you is trying to say. I have to say though this back and forth recently is a bit off-putting to me and it has to be to others as well. Say your piece and let us bucket Dads digest it for ouselves, i dont care what any one pitching coach says there are very successfull pitchers using different methods at ALL levels of play.
I am really getting tired of the whole it's this way or you suck thing. Sorry if this comes off as a rant, but I guess it is. Like I said there are many of us that have alot of respect for one or each of you. Please drop the back and forth lest some of us lose resect for you both.

Yeah I wish he'd hush up too. lol

Seriously, I have met a bunch of pitching instructors in my life. I have communicated with many more than that The one thing I know for sure is that we will never agree on everything we teach. Most things yes. Some things, no, A few things, WAY NO!

I still think Ernie Parker said it best whjen it comes to teaching pitchers;

"There are alot of roads you can take to get from Los Angeles to New York and all of them will get you there".

Yeah I wish he'd hush up too. lol

Seriously, I have met a bunch of pitching instructors in my life. I have communicated with many more than that The one thing I know for sure is that we will never agree on everything we teach. Most things yes. Some things, no, A few things, WAY NO!

I still think Ernie Parker said it best whjen it comes to teaching pitchers;

"There are alot of roads you can take to get from Los Angeles to New York and all of them will get you there".

And please, I hope neither of you discontinues to offer your expertise, just maybe stick to throwing at us and not each other. :)

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
This is a game and games are supposed to be fun. I think pitchers should have a little more fun than anyone else on the team.

Bill and I are the type that when the other teams pitcher walks one of our guys, thats when we reach into our ballbag, pull out a megaphone and a Woopee cushion and express our thanks. :)

May 4, 2009
Baltimore
@ Hal and Bill

To be quite honest, I didn't see a big deal coming out of their discourse. They weren't fighting about anything. If Hal thinks he named a pitch something then so what. The "bent finger" is something that I learned in the mid seventies from people who never heard of Hal. It reminds me of Al Gore saying he invented the internet. Just funny stuff.

Dec 12, 2012
On the bucket
Amy in AZ -- Bad swings with a $300 bat said:
**************Thread hijack and/or unrelatted post alert************ Offended parties turn away now!!

I just love that signature statement. Wish I could use it myself. Unfortunately, my DD is guilty of it from time to time too.

May 4, 2009
Baltimore
**************Thread hijack and/or unrelatted post alert************ Offended parties turn away now!!

I just love that signature statement. Wish I could use it myself. Unfortunately, my DD is guilty of it from time to time too.

Bad English. A bad swing is not an out. A bad swing may get you a hit or a missed ball and might not result in an out. I think a bad swing with a $300 bat is still a bad swing, would make more sense.

Jul 17, 2012
Coach Hillhouse,
Do you believe a good glove shove can add inches to a leap?
Hey Ken, I notice you OFTEN stress the length of the stride, in particular, offering the advice to try to extend the stride. I'm not saying this is good or bad advice, but rather would like to get an understanding of the reason you feel so strongly that this should be the primary focus. I understand that the legs add speed. But someone on here had a great reponse to a claim that 90% of speed comes from the lower body. Stand still and whip your arm around...measure the ball speed. Now hold the ball and jump forward with your arm hanging at your side. Which method registers higher on the gun?

No need to defend yourself...this isn't an attack by any means. I just don't know why it's so important to extend the stride as I've done my own research and can't figure out from a logical perspective why it's so important. My DD started out with a pretty long stride, and her PC actually backed her off quite a bit. She said she wasn't following through with her legs because she couldn't. The front leg was getting so far out beyond the pivot foot that she couldn't possibly pinch knee to knee to take advantage of the resistance. Also, her arm circle slowed down at the end of her motion to give the rest of her body a chance to catch up to that long stride. She wants her pushing off hard and driving forward as hard as she can, but she wants the stride foot down before she gets out of sync. It's worked quite well. She really improved the speed of her arm circle and is much better off from a timing perspective of everything "Closing" (the X, not the hips). I was skeptical at first, but when a bit of logical reasoning is applied, it realy does make sense. Do this test. Jump out from a standing position, up and out as far as you can, like a standing broad jump. When you land, most of your negative energy is vertical, not in sync with the path of the ball. Now, do the same exact thing, jump out lower to the ground as hard as you can, but put your feet down on the ground about 2/3 of the distance of your "long" jump. What happened? You fell foreward right? So, if you want to create negative resistance, is it better to jump out as far as you can and float to the ground, or jump out hard and get the foot down to create a hard stop?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi