Sex Offender Spectator

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I would first find out what the crime was and go from there, even if it costs a few dollars. Both what he was charged with and what he was convited of.

Since they are just being released I would not trust the normal sex offender database because I do not know if they have a grace period to register or when they first show up.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
Like others have said, you should find out what he was charged with and convicted of. It could very well be one of those situations where a 17 YO girl's father found out she was having sex with her 18 YO boyfriend in a state where the age of consent is 18 and reported him. Not that it makes it right but at least it makes it a little more palatable in that situation.

With that being said, it's an unfortunate situation to be in. We passed on one of the better pitchers in our area that was hunting for a new TB team because her father was charged with having sex with a minor. We just didn't want the headaches or stigma that came with her. So having gone through something similar, you very well may have to lose one player to avoid losing several. Even if he's not legally allowed to attend games/tournaments, I can almost guarantee you that they will want to bring him to team functions outside of the park. I'm not so sure that barring him from private property might not be construed as violating his rights if he chose to get a lawyer involved.

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2015
Michigan
This seems pretty simple to me. Either the law allows him to be there, or it does not. If it does, you don't have some higher power as a coach to determine who comes to a public place to watch your team play. If it doesn't, and he shows, call the authorities.

Feb 13, 2013
One of my best players has a brother in jail for rape. Players mom last night was telling me in casual conversation that he is getting out soon. She started describing him and his tattoos and said "oh you will see them at the games". Immediately my antenna went up but I didn't say anything.

Did your antenna go up because you might have convicted rapist at your games or because you have a parent who treats the topic so casually?

As a parent, if you came to me with this and asked if it was okay, I'd have to question why you're even asking. You're the coach. You don't need a vote from the parents. That's just shucking your responsibility as coach. You need to tell the parent the brother stays away or the daughter can find another team. Stop the drama before it starts. Word will get round given the parents casual treatment of the topic. When it does (and you know it will) and you did nothing, my DD would be gone in a heartbeat. It's really just that simple.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2009
I would first find out what the crime was and go from there, even if it costs a few dollars. Both what he was charged with and what he was convited of.

Since they are just being released I would not trust the normal sex offender database because I do not know if they have a grace period to register or when they first show up.

In Georgia an offender is required to register with in 72 hours after release form prison or jail, they are also required to report any change of address, work or change vehicle or tag.

https://gbi.georgia.gov/sex-offender-registry-frequently-asked-questions

http://chronicle.augusta.com/news/c...der-restrictions-depend-when-offense-occurred

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2013
Delaware
This seems pretty simple to me. Either the law allows him to be there, or it does not. If it does, you don't have some higher power as a coach to determine who comes to a public place to watch your team play. If it doesn't, and he shows, call the authorities.

I disagree. Legally he may be allowed there but you as a coach do have a higher authority to alert your parents to any potential dangers. That is the right thing to do.

Would you knowingly allow your kid around a known sex offender? I would not.

I had a parent 2 seasons ago drive a few girls from the field to a restaurant about 20 miles down the road after a tournament. Parent gets out with an empty beer can in his hand. I spoke to him about it, told him it's not ok and he would not be driving any player to include his own any farther down the road that day.

I know where do I get off right? Well all the players made it home safe and I can sleep well at night. I'm not saying I'm right and anyone else is wrong but I really don't care about the feelings of the adults when speaking about situations that involve kids.

Mar 3, 2015
Michigan
As a coach and a parent, it would make me a little nervous. As far as "being around" a sex offender, no, I wouldn't let my kid hang out with them, but I don't have control of who comes to watch.

I understand and mostly agree with letting everyone know the situation, and if handled properly the situation will not become a bigger situation. All I am saying is, if the guy "payed his debt" and is by law allowed to be there, you don't really have much to say about it as a coach.

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
I disagree. Legally he may be allowed there but you as a coach do have a higher authority to alert your parents to any potential dangers. That is the right thing to do.

Would you knowingly allow your kid around a known sex offender? I would not.

I had a parent 2 seasons ago drive a few girls from the field to a restaurant about 20 miles down the road after a tournament. Parent gets out with an empty beer can in his hand. I spoke to him about it, told him it's not ok and he would not be driving any player to include his own any farther down the road that day.

I know where do I get off right? Well all the players made it home safe and I can sleep well at night. I'm not saying I'm right and anyone else is wrong but I really don't care about the feelings of the adults when speaking about situations that involve kids.

You can't be too careful with the driving.

A really sad case last fall. The cross country team for the kids' HS had just finished second in the sectionals, and had landed a place at the state championship. Then, ON THE WAY HOME, six of the best runners on the team were in the same car, and everyone except the driver was injured. One girl was flown to the hospital in a copter. The news articles made it sound like there were no serious injuries other than a broken leg. However, another girl missed a lot of school and was in a wheelchair for a while. My kids saw some of those kids at school, with neck braces etc.

With 5 of their best runners injured, the cross country team did not do very well at state.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
Although they are both scum of the earth. A rapist and a child pedophile are two different things... even prison inmates have a standard.

I told this story a while back regarding my childhood best friend.... back when we were kids, He and his high school girlfriend ditched school one day to go back to her house. He had just turned 18 while she was still either 15 or 16 (we were juniors and she was a sophmore). Her mom caught them in the act, called the police, and he is still to this day a registered sex offender. Is he dangerous?

Feb 15, 2013
Delaware
Although they are both scum of the earth. A rapist and a child pedophile are two different things... even prison inmates have a standard.

I told this story a while back regarding my childhood best friend.... back when we were kids, He and his high school girlfriend ditched school one day to go back to her house. He had just turned 18 while she was still either 15 or 16 (we were juniors and she was a sophmore). Her mom caught them in the act, called the police, and he is still to this day a registered sex offender. Is he dangerous?

No but I wouldn't keep the information from my team. I would still tell my parents and they could then determine their course of action. There's no exception for my actions as the coach. I'm not going to tell your friend that they can't come around if they are legally allowed to, but I would tell my parents his situation so they can decide based on their level of comfort with the situation.

Here's some information that will help with the definitions of pedophile and child molesters.

What is Pedophilia: FAQ on Pedophiles and Pedophilia

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32