Sex Offender Spectator

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 28, 2014
It is not up to you to make that call. There is absolutely nothing you can do to prevent someone from entering a public facility.

Nobody is suggesting it is ok or that you should condone it. Again nothing you can do about it.

At what point did the individual in question become a coach? He is a spectator in a public facility. If by some chance Charles Manson were to be paroled, unless it violates the terms of his release he can come watch your games. Background checks are required of individuals who in the course of their duties as a coach or other team official will have contact with minor children. Have you done background checks on all of your parents? I have over the years and you might be surprised what you find.

This is certainly within your purview as the HC. It is one of many possible ways to handle the issue.

You are 100% correct.

And your answers are why I am so very pleased that convicted sex offenders have a real hard time securing employment, finding friends and fitting into a community. Our laws are great and so is the registered sex offender registry!

Aug 12, 2014
Sorry guys I respectfully disagree with all above. I won't have a sex offender in the stand with little kids. Not real sure I would let my kids play on a team where the coaches think that is ok. If this is such a non issue then why the background checks to be a coach? If it is ok to be at the parks with little kids or any kids with a major sexual offense on your record then what is the point of checking coaches out. They are front and center on the fields at all times and everyone sees exactly what they are doing. So be using your arguments or justification then it is a fair jump to say you guys support sex offenders as coaches for your children/grandchildren.
Yes, I would absolutely ask the young lady to leave the team if her sex offender brother finds it necessary to come to games. Sorry, but that is just how it is. On a side note I had the conversation with the parent and she completely understands because she put the shoes on the other foot and knows she would not like or want some random sex offender in the stands with her watching her dd. So no problem with her, thanks for the input. That is what is great about this forum, I get views from people all over the nation and whether I agree with or not it forces me to see the other side of things, even though we all agree you guys are wrong on this!! :)

The big difference is the coach has much more contact with the kids and develops a much more personal relationship with the kids than the spectator does. I think we all agree that a sexual predator isn't going to do anything to a kid in the middle of a practice or game where everyone is watching. What will happen is the predator will use his (they are usually male) relationship with the child to get them into a situation where the two of them are alone together. The ability of a spectator (even a family member of a player) to develop that kind of relationship is pretty slim. A coach is much better able to do that.

Also, there probably already are random sex offenders in the stands watching your DD and the other players. You just don't know who they are. There's no way around it unless you are going to require background checks of everyone who comes to the games. And even then, there are predators who haven't been caught or convicted who will pass a background check.

Ultimately you have to do what you think is best and it's hard to fault someone for erring on the side of caution.

Last edited:

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
A little off topic, but there were a bunch of soccer moms up in arms recently because some guy was showing up at the local soccer field with a holstered sidearm. I thought it was kind of funny considering the number of concealed carry permits issued in GA.

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
A little off topic, but there were a bunch of soccer moms up in arms recently because some guy was showing up at the local soccer field with a holstered sidearm. I thought it was kind of funny considering the number of concealed carry permits issued in GA.

How do they know he wasn't even a cop or some type of law enforcement officer?

And yes, it amazes me how many have concealed permits there are to be honest.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Preschuck