Series of Hitting Failures

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
It is easy to hit off a tee and front toss compared to actual game swings. Here is my
16-U DD this weekend. She hasn't played since July. She has had better hitting weekends for sure. Here is a series of hitting failures. Each attemp is numbered so thoughts can be referenced. I welcome input and think since they are game swings the clips could lead to helpful discussion.

The Swings 3,4 and 6 are a swing she does with 2 strikes where she starts with the bat in kind of a point of contact position and rotates back and just tries to turn back to the ball. It theory a little shorter to help with contact. She has had good success with it.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/aohAdZpSZ8U" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2009
She has a beautiful swing. What I see is her front foot opening as she comes to toe touch. I believe she should try to toe touch about 45º angle. It causes her to lose some of her load.

I think it does some players good to do that pullback thing but your DD doesn't need that. What I believe it does for most batters is loads them somewhat. She is stepping open on every one of those type swings.

Maybe her aim was just a little rusty. She needs LOTS of front pitches. But the swing looks really good overall.

Jul 21, 2008
Swing #1 looks pretty good....I agree with softballphreak no need to do the pullback thing and also try to hold the coil longer. She could have a better top hand throwing action also read post on top hand throw mechanics.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Make certain that she has had her eyes examined. And I would put something against the front foot, so she can't step back, that alone could pull the bat off of the ball.

R

RayR

I think with a few changes she will see big improvments.

I just think she needs to keep the bat head leveraged above her hands as the elbow slots....in these swings the bat head is sometimes wrapped, sometimes falls to ground before it moves to the ball, sometimes it looks ok....she is doing something different in almost every swing.

Barrel awareness....know where it is at all times....keep it leveraged above the hands as the elbow slots and throw the bat head....

Freeze each clip at front foot plant and picture the bat at more of a 45 degree angle in relation to the ground...would you then consider her to be in more leveraged position to throw the bat head into the ball?

I think she looks pretty good leg wise at footplant....I think once she gets control of the barrel with her hands and stop trying to mash the ball she will be fine...

Everyone wants to hit the ball hard....it makes you tense up and lose the barrel....it puts the emphasis on the shoulders to drag the handle around....

Tension free throw of the bat head into the ball....

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Ihowser ... she has made some noteworthy improvements.

Part of the issue with the front foot opening up may be with a tendency to open up with the front leg. Another part is with the presetting of the front foot open in the stance, especially in the swings where she first brings the barrel forward before bringing it back.

Me personally ... I'd also target having a more upright barrel at launch ... that will improve her plate coverage and allow her to use the same connected swing to all portions of the strike zone.

There could be some improvement in the fluidity and overall timing of the shift into the front-side that takes place during the uncoil of the rear leg. In many of these swings the shift from the uncoil looks to occur after the front heel is down. This, coupled with the front foot opening out of sync, suggests that there isn't a feel of the backside being in control ... of not putting the rear leg in charge. Consider doing the drill in the following video and see if you can get a sense of the weight shift that occurs during the uncoil being responsible for planting the front heel. From a perspective of a batter ... simply start from what would be an ideal contact point, then backwards chain to your launch position, then bring your front foot back towards your rear foot ... much like in the drill below ... the objective is to improve the flow, timing, and the feel of the shift with the uncoiling rear leg weighting the front heel.

Mar 14, 2011
Silicon Valley, CA
Not all failures at the plate are due to hitting mechanics. She isn't making contact. What, besides the eye checkup tip, is going to help with making contact?