Complete game lapse of swing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 16, 2019
Give her 1 goal in a game: Hit the ball hard. Doesn't matter where it goes, but just have that mindset when you're in the box.
That is my attitude at the moment...swing hard and try to make contact. I have some ideas in mind and I am trying to get her back with an instructor who helped her before.

Jul 31, 2015
Take a step back, way back.
Literally and figuratively.

Don't talk to her about hitting. Forget it exists. Don't mention anything she does at the plate for a while.

If you have to say something, say "good job".

If she asks you for advice, tell her "swing like you don't care".

Just let her play.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
His daughter is an awesome D1 player at the moment, so I think he knows what he is talking about.

Maybe. Maybe not. He might know what worked for his kid, but that doesn't mean he knows what works for your kid.

The advice from CoachJB55 above is good - have the intent to hit the ball hard.

From the clues you've given us, it sounds like she's very likely scared to fail. She's in a new situation facing a better level of competition, she's worried about her spot in the lineup, and her dad is freaking out. Of course she hits better in practice. The demands and expectations are totally different.

When my DD was about 9 or 10, we talked about body language in the box. If you step into the box looking scared, unsure, and worried, you've already given the pitcher an advantage. From the moment you step in, act like you're the best hitter on the team. Make the pitcher think you're going to hit the ball really hard (which also means swinging hard). Even if you feel unsure inside, don't let it show on the outside. Fool everyone there. At first, she was faking it, but then she started having success, and her confidence became real.

Feb 1, 2021
I'm going to munge up all the various replies and repeat, it IS in fact, ok to swing and miss. Its not a negative. If that's the mindset, I think that is a pretty big clue to the problem. Its a game! They don't feed you to the lions if you miss, literally or figuratively. If "they" do, hmm, give your kid a big hug and let her know they are wrong.

Again, swing hard, but not too hard! I've also been down that road too. Its equally nasty to get out of when it isn't working.

May 12, 2016
Maybe. Maybe not. He might know what worked for his kid, but that doesn't mean he knows what works for your kid.

The advice from CoachJB55 above is good - have the intent to hit the ball hard.

From the clues you've given us, it sounds like she's very likely scared to fail. She's in a new situation facing a better level of competition, she's worried about her spot in the lineup, and her dad is freaking out. Of course she hits better in practice. The demands and expectations are totally different.

When my DD was about 9 or 10, we talked about body language in the box. If you step into the box looking scared, unsure, and worried, you've already given the pitcher an advantage. From the moment you step in, act like you're the best hitter on the team. Make the pitcher think you're going to hit the ball really hard (which also means swinging hard). Even if you feel unsure inside, don't let it show on the outside. Fool everyone there. At first, she was faking it, but then she started having success, and her confidence became real.
Agreed. A hitter well fail more than they will succeed. They need not dwell on it, they need to accept that it(striking out) is a possibility and learn from it.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coach101