World Series slo-mo observations

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 30, 2013
Binghamton, NY
So, watching the World Series, and series leading up to that, we get to see a LOT of super hi-res slo-mo of hitters.
What did you all see?

Some things I observed:
1. Load/FBC
Most hitters all do this phase of the swing very well and quite consistently

2. TTB
Some do, some really don't. They all have very direct swings without much "slop" but I can';t say they all accomplish this by turning the barrel rearward.

3. Arm Bar
I saw a fair amount of arm-bar swings. And some were giant HR's. (that surprised me)

4. Lead Arm Working up
I've always considered this an "absolute" in high-level hitting. But video evidence speaks otherwise.

5. Tilt
On some swings with VERY good results, you really could see body tilt and bat angle aligned with shoulders as we all consider an absolute. But there were MANY swings where adjust to pitch location was accomplished (or attempted to accomplish) via hands/arms. These "handsy" swings seemed like instances where the batter was "fooled" on the pitch, usually a low-outside breaking slider or a change up.

6. Extension
Aside from initial load/FBC, getting great extension through and after contact was very consistently there on most swings I observed, except for maybe extremely inside pitches.

Conclusions: A great start to the swing probably sets these guys up for good adjust-ability and contact when they react to the pitch speed/spin/location. BUT the majority of swings are NOT picture-perfect. Most hitters seem to try and keep the bat head in the hitting zone as long as possible with good extension, and most seem to make contact with the ball out in front - aligned with back heel of front foot or even more forward than that. Did not see very many successful hits where ball was allowed to "travel deep". Not many hits where ball was struck in the area aligned with body mid-line up to that back front heel.

Anyone else?

Last edited:

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I don't think it is surprising that the swings are less than perfect. The pitchers are trying to get the batters to make a poor swing.

Video analysis of MLB players is done when they hit a homerun. (Has anyone seen one when the batter whiffs?) A homerun swing is when the batter gets everything right. And, batters rarely hit homeruns.

Great hitters get a hit about 30% (,300) of the at bats. Each bat consists of say 2 swings. So, in fact, they are getting a base hit about once every eight swings.

A homerun is produced about once every fifty at-bat swings.

So, MLB batters rarely have the "perfect" swing against game pitching.

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2017
1. yes
2. Most TTB or at least to some degree.
3. It seems that a slight armbar is being accepted more.
4. Lots of crushed triangles
5. Yes
6. Hit through the ball well. Some got the handle back the pitcher more so than full extension.Bu
7. I do not watch baseball nearly as much as i did but shocked at how many bad pitches were swung at.
8. Bunting is terrible in MLB.
9. Struck out with runners in scoring position and no outs way to much.
10. Good pitching can make you look bad. I think Houston picks up tips better than most teams. IMO.

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
So, watching the World Series, and series leading up to that, we get to see a LOT of super hi-res slo-mo of hitters.
What did you all see?

Some things I observed:
1. Load/FBC

2. TTB
Some do, some really don't. They all have very direct swings without much "slop" but I can';t say they all accomplish this by turning the barrel rearward.

3. Arm Bar
I saw a fair amount of arm-bar swings. And some were giant HR's. (that surprised me)

4. Lead Arm Working up
I've always considered this an "absolute" in high-level hitting. But video evidence speaks otherwise.

5. Tilt
On some swings with VERY good results, you really could see body tilt and bat angle aligned with shoulders as we all consider an absolute. But there were MANY swings where adjust to pitch location was accomplished (or attempted to accomplish) via hands/arms. These "handsy" swings seemed like instances where the batter was "fooled" on the pitch, usually a low-outside breaking slider or a change up.

6. Extension
Aside from initial load/FBC, getting great extension through and after contact was very consistently there on most swings I observed, except for maybe extremely inside pitches.

Conclusions: A great start to the swing probably sets these guys up for good adjust-ability and contact when they react to the pitch speed/spin/location. BUT the majority of swings are NOT picture-perfect. Most hitters seem to try and keep the bat head in the hitting zone as long as possible with good extension, and most seem to make contact with the ball out in front - aligned with back heel of front foot or even more forward than that. Did not see very many successful hits where ball was allowed to "travel deep". Not many hits where ball was struck in the area aligned with body mid-line up to that back front heel.

Anyone else?
I find these are very accurate observations. Extention does appear to be a priority either consciously or unconsciously. With many successful hits, the batters seem to almost push the barrel through contact perpendicular to the pitch after contact. In most successful swings I witnessed (even when far less than perfect) the barrel worked more inside/out and long and thorough. Rarely was the path outside/in and down and across.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
On TTB and where contact is made, guys (usually bigger/ small or no stride) Ttb earlier and have deeper contact. Smaller guys with big leg kick or stride ttb later a hit the ball out in front much more. Different strokes for different folks.

Jan 28, 2017
1. yes
2. Most TTB or at least to some degree.
3. It seems that a slight armbar is being accepted more.
4. Lots of crushed triangles
5. Yes
6. Hit through the ball well. Some got the handle back the pitcher more so than full extension.Bu
7. I do not watch baseball nearly as much as i did but shocked at how many bad pitches were swung at.
8. Bunting is terrible in MLB.
9. Struck out with runners in scoring position and no outs way to much.
10. Good pitching can make you look bad. I think Houston picks up tips better than most teams. IMO.

I was correct on #10

Jun 11, 2013
TV doesn't do a great job of showing how much these balls are moving. All season long the players bat against the entire pitching staff but in the playoffs it's usually the top 3 starters and top 3 relievers. These guys are all mid 90's with filth stuff so you have to guess at the pitch and when wrong you look bad.

Nov 30, 2018
Marikina, Philippines
What did you all see?

Some things I observed:
1. Load/FBC

2. TTB

3. Arm Bar

4. Lead Arm Working up

5. Tilt

6. Extension

Anyone else?

How can a lead arm work up, as in elbow at the chin on a low outside pitch? A HR by a right-handed hitter to RF will produce at least an illusion of arm-bar. If that pitch is pulled even to CF, will produce a true arm-bar. Otherwise they will never reach it. I love sluggers analysis because it is spot on. Perfect swings are created on a batting tee and disappear against top pitching in baseball and fastpitch. And the total # of perfect swings would be surprisingly low.

One question? Tango, what do you say about batters who one time swing with an arm-bar and the next have a flexed elbow? Which one is the adjustment and which one is the ideal? As I have said ad nauseum, an arm-bar is not taught as the ideal, but is an adjustment for almost everyone when fooled, or gets ahead, of the pitch away. How many sliders away have you seen without arm-bar by hitters who focus on that "house roof" or power-box formation of the arms? I dare say it doesn't happen, That crushed arm position on a pitch up and in is just the opposite.

Last edited:
May 12, 2016
3. Arm Bar
Great post.. just one question. Why were you surprised? I've seen time and time again monster HR's being hit where the hitter bars the arm. I am fairly certain this isn't a goal of the hitter( to bar the arm), however it happens a lot.

Jan 28, 2017
How can a lead arm work up, as in elbow at the chin on a low outside pitch? A HR by a right-handed hitter to RF will produce at least an illusion of arm-bar. If that pitch is pulled even to CF, will produce a true arm-bar. Otherwise they will never reach it. I love sluggers analysis because it is spot on. Perfect swings are created on a batting tee and disappear against top pitching in baseball and fastpitch. And the total # of perfect swings would be surprisingly low.

One question? Tango, what do you say about batters who one time swing with an arm-bar and the next have a flexed elbow? Which one is the adjustment and which one is the ideal? As I have said ad nauseum, an arm-bar is not taught as the ideal, but is an adjustment for almost everyone when fooled, or gets ahead, of the pitch away. How many sliders away have you seen without arm-bar by hitters who focus on that "house roof" or power-box formation of the arms? I dare say it doesn't happen, That crushed arm position on a pitch up and in is just the opposite.

I think arm bar for some happens to reach an outside pitch. Also for some it is a way to stay back on off speed, iMO

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802