Complete game lapse of swing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 16, 2019
Has she been hit? Either way (there are a lot of different reasons young players can lose the intent to do damage..) I second @Orange Socks. Be patient, keep encouraging her to hit the ball hard and keep working with her. It will work itself out.
Yeah, a few times. I do think that bothered her. She LOVES the game, and i know it will get worked out somehow - but I want to hurry it up for her sake.

Oct 16, 2019
Her being hit or being afraid to be hit is a good question which needs to be answered 1st. I call this happy feet, watch her feet and you might be able to see if this is an Issue.

I would lean towards being afraid to strike out.

I get 1st swing, she is swinging for fence. She can have next 2 herself. Something like that might work.
I will look for swing footage - good - and bad

Jan 8, 2019
I have had a similar issue with my DD. Tee work has been strong, form is (was) generally good. Through 12U and into 14U, I noticed that her game contact percentage was very high, but she was just never getting on base. There was just never any power to put the ball past the infield.

Someone mentioned the fear of striking out, but I think it is more the opposite: she REALLY wants to ensure that she is contacting the ball every time. But it comes at the expense of power. Moving into HS and 2nd yr 14U, this has morphed into some bad habits trying to make sure she gets to the ball instead of using good mechanics and adjusting her timing and seeing the path better. Now, we're trying to correct two (or more) issues at the same time.

In retrospect, I think that it was a confidence issue, and that many more reps at live speeds would have helped (machine and/or live). Have faith, be patient, but give her the reps to build her confidence. The power is there, she needs to trust that she can deliver it in live pitches.

Feb 1, 2021
she REALLY wants to ensure that she is contacting the ball every time. But it comes at the expense of power.
I really think you have something here.

Have her swing at every pitch like she does in BP. (I know...DUH right??) Be sure to tell her that it is perfectly okay to swing an miss on strikes 1 and 2. Don't change the swing to guarantee 'bad contact' unless its for strike 3.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
If her mechanics are sound then it's obviously in her mind. Telling her it's OK to strike out or swing and miss just reminds her of those things, not a very positive mental image to have before she gets in the box. It's fine to say those things after the game or after an at bat. She needs to step into the box with a simple goal in mind that is triggered by a phrase she can repeat to herself and that the coach can also verbalize to her. Something like "Drive it".

May 12, 2016
If her mechanics are sound then it's obviously in her mind. Telling her it's OK to strike out or swing and miss just reminds her of those things, not a very positive mental image to have before she gets in the box. It's fine to say those things after the game or after an at bat. She needs to step into the box with a simple goal in mind that is triggered by a phrase she can repeat to herself and that the coach can also verbalize to her. Something like "Drive it".
I respectfully disagree... it is ok to strike out, it's one of the possible outcomes. Hitters need to get in the box and be consistent with their process, some times the pitcher will win the battle, happens at every level. If a hitter doesn't understand this, they will be tentative with their swing, mechanics will break down, etc.

Sequence, sequence sequence... nail this down first. Regardless of situation(Game, practice etc), get to launch position on time and let her rip. Forget about the result, focus on the process to get in the best possible position to launch on time. Hitters need to trust in this, and it is OK to strike out.

Edit: I'm not saying the hitter should be focused on striking out, but they shouldn't be focused on not striking out either. IMO, a hitter should not be focused on the result, they should be focused on getting in position to launch on time, results will vary.

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2019
Her and my oldest daughter were using "Take a step, turn your hips, put the ball to the fence" and it worked with my 12 year old, and my 10 yr old was doing well with it in League ball, and then in travel ball, it went away and so did her form. I remind her before games and do soft toss and all is good, but I was told by a former coach who did some lessons with her a year ago, he told me not to bother her in a game or it will just play more mind games with her. So I sit in the OF, which is why I don't have many videos of her batting. His daughter is an awesome D1 player at the moment, so I think he knows what he is talking about. I talk to her before the games, her coaches know the issue and have tried to resolve it...but it did not work this weekend. She has went from batting 4th or 5th to 9th...getting benched by this coach whom she really likes would be so hard on her. Her defense is the only thing saving her at the moment, she has a really good arm and does not mind getting dirt on her uniform. It is all mental...she is a strong girl and swings so weak and slow at the moment.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812