School coach doesn't understand the game

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 23, 2015
Ladies League Pro Baseball had only one seaon in the 90's. Around the same time as Silver Bullets.

Heres a story of a female mlb candidate from France.
Interesting story also of her outreach to get recruited in U.S. for softball....and did.
I'm left handed and got junk haha

Sarah Hudek with the ragin Cajuns switched to fastpitch from baseball. Her pop was a MLB pitcher

Jul 29, 2016
Too many folks to reply to, so I’ll offer this here - this team is loaded - at least two and possibly four future D1 players. They are all good kids, and aren’t going to revolt against their coach no matter how bad the signals are.

stealing bases with nine runs to get and three outs to give is a horrible call, no matter how fast the runner might be. Baseball or softball.

I mentioned the “who’s your favorite baseball player” to point that the coach was prejudiced toward baseball.

Jun 8, 2016
I'm left handed and got junk haha

Sarah Hudek with the ragin Cajuns switched to fastpitch from baseball. Her pop was a MLB pitcher

There are quite a few good FP players who made the switch from baseball at a fairly late date. Grace Lyons, OU’s excellent SS, comes to mind.

May 23, 2015
I'm prejudiced towards chicken wings, but I don't want to lose a game quickly so I can get my order in

Baseball has nothing to do with it and its early in the season. I would suggest getting these parents together and come up with a positive plan for the rest of the season. Girls will roll up in a second. If the teams loaded and not performing theyre soaking in the garbage they hear on the ride home

Aug 20, 2017
Too many folks to reply to, so I’ll offer this here - this team is loaded - at least two and possibly four future D1 players. They are all good kids, and aren’t going to revolt against their coach no matter how bad the signals are.

stealing bases with nine runs to get and three outs to give is a horrible call, no matter how fast the runner might be. Baseball or softball.

I mentioned the “who’s your favorite baseball player” to point that the coach was prejudiced toward baseball.
Was it a straight steal or delayed steal? What bunt coverage did the defense “look” to be in? Down 9 runs in the last inning is a time that I will do things that we need to get better at. Base stealing is one of them. What parents see go on in a game is not “all” there is to it. Not tagging on you. I’m a coach and a parent. I’m glad this forum allows you to vent your frustrations!

Jul 29, 2016
Was it a straight steal or delayed steal? What bunt coverage did the defense “look” to be in? Down 9 runs in the last inning is a time that I will do things that we need to get better at. Base stealing is one of them. What parents see go on in a game is not “all” there is to it. Not tagging on you. I’m a coach and a parent. I’m glad this forum allows you to vent your frustrations!

straight steal. Times three

Jun 26, 2020
If the team were winning you would be praising her love of baseball.

A team of great individual players is nothing. Finding chemistry is the key. Besides these girls are also schoolmates

Mar 4, 2015
New England
Coach might be bad, might not, but (1) giving up 14 runs is rarely just an issue of pitch-calling, and even if the OP is correct, he's also biased; he wants his catcher to call the pitches; so I can't judge that (2) talking baseball is fine, depends on the context; I once had a player who loved the Braves far more than college or pro softball, and I liked talking baseball w/ her; (3) stealing bases while down 9 runs in the bottom of the 7th, while not the best move if you're trying to win, might still be the best use of time if it's being used to assess/develop your talent. So who knows. Need more data.

May 6, 2015
My DD probably could not name a single fastpitch player other than Finch (and she only knows that name because she has played at a Finch sponsored facility in our state, and against some Finches Aces teams, ddfinitely not a fav for her), if you asked her about her favorite athlete, it is close race between Katy Ledecky (sic) and Lilly King. favorite ball sport player would be Chooch (Carlos Ruiz, where she gets her SB number from). a lot of girls who play softball probably know more about MLB than they do Olympic or college softball, simply because of exposure.

and down 9, early in the season, I am probably using the rest of that game not to try to win (very low %), vs learning/teaching some things to help my team down the road. some of it may be simply learning to follow signals/instructions on bases without hesitation.

4 games in, dont harp on apparent strategy errors. now if there were fundamental flaws in what she was teaching, or abusive coaching style, etc., different story. let the season play out, then evaluate.

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
Maybe she has a 'win this inning' style to build competitiveness.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drid