School coach doesn't understand the game

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 16, 2010
In middle school my daughters school replaced a dad who was coaching girls basketball because his daughter was on the team. this dad was 6-8 and played college basketball. It was against their new policy, even though all the parents wanted him to coach. They hired a new woman to coach girls basketball... One who never coached before but her dad was an AAU coach and ran camps.

This woman was a nightmare from day 1. She picked only the tallest girls to play to be her players , girls that weren't very good. She put the best girls on the bench , and had these girls running up and down the court trying to throw the ball the length of the court and play fast running game in 8th grade. They went from being a good team to a horrible team. After losing a couple of games , in the middle of a game she got fed up with them ...... ..told them to make up their own plays...... and sat down on the bench and didn't coach the rest of the game. The girls made up their own plays for the rest of the game.

She was fired the next day and they agreed for that Dad to come back and coach.

My daughter's high school softball team was coached by a ex college player when she was a freshman. She was a horrible coach also. She was fired when a student hacked her Facebook and exposed some of the sexual stuff she had all over her Facebook pages..

The next high School coach was a person hired to be the new football coach but they didn't give him that job yet, so they gave him softball instead. He was pretty pissed, and if I said he cared nothing about softball that would be an understatement. I think he and his assistant both ended up in prison for having sex with a minor girl from some other school.

the next softball coach for her last two years was actually interested in being a softball coach. Unfortunately he had to learn on the fly and my daughter helped teach him. her senior year they got a freshman who could actually pitch and was a travel ball player and they actually had a decent team. For HS around here

Last edited:

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
In middle school my daughters school replaced a dad who was coaching girls basketball because his daughter was on the team. this dad was 6-8 and played college basketball. It was against their new policy, even though all the parents wanted him to coach. They hired a new woman to coach girls basketball... One who never coached before but her dad was an AAU coach and ran camps.

This woman was a nightmare from day 1. She picked only the tallest girls to play to be her players , girls that weren't very good. She put the best girls on the bench , and had these girls running up and down the court trying to throw the ball the length of the court and play fast running game in 8th grade. They went from being a good team to a horrible team. After losing a couple of games , in the middle of a game she got fed up with them ...... ..told them to make up their own plays...... and sat down on the bench and didn't coach the rest of the game. The girls made up their own plays for the rest of the game.

She was fired the next day and they agreed for that Dad to come back and coach.

My daughter's high school softball team was coached by a ex college player when she was a freshman. She was a horrible coach also. She was fired when a student hacked her Facebook and exposed some of the sexual stuff she had all over her Facebook pages..

The next high School coach was a person hired to be the new football coach but they didn't give him that job yet, so they gave him softball instead. He was pretty pissed, and if I said he cared nothing about softball that would be an overstatement. I think he and his assistant both ended up in prison for having sex with a minor girl from some other school.

the next softball coach for her last two years was actually interested in being a softball coach. Unfortunately he had to learn on the fly and my daughter helped teach him. her senior year they got a freshman who could actually pitch and was a travel ball player and they actually had a decent team.
Seriously what a journey!

Last edited:
May 24, 2013
So Cal
I believe this was their fourth game, including a scrimmage. I would suggest to you that it doesn't matter how fast the players are. Why are you risking an out when you only have three (and then one) to give with 9 (then 8) runs to make up?

Does she need an AC? If she does, it might be a good way for you to help her learn a better way to approach those situations.

Apr 1, 2017
However asking softball players
'who is favorite bb player'
Shows a disconnect communicating about softball.
Really should be who is favorite softball player/team.

Sounds like the ump we had for a game this summer. Come out for the pre-game meeting and he's asking us what the rules are.... After giving him a few basics, he responds with "oh, so it's baseball, but with a bigger ball"..... The other team's coach and I just looked at each with a "oh boy, here we go" smile.

Aug 25, 2019
Having a bb background may have nothing to do with being able to coach or not.

imo
However asking softball players
'who is favorite bb player'
Shows a disconnect communicating about softball.
Really should be who is favorite softball player/team.

If you ask my DD who her favorite softball player is, she'd shrug her shoulders, she really doesn't know any. If pressed, she probably say Jenny Finch. The only thing she loves about softball is playing it, which is the most important thing.

Apr 26, 2019
My daughter goes to a private school. Last year, everything came together, and they ended up losing in the state finals after working all the way back through the losers bracket to the finals. After that, the school's 20-year softball coach retired, and the school put a new hire in charge of the team. She comes from a family where baseball was everything (coach's father was a semi-pro and apparently a long-time coach), which was enough for the school administration to let her be the head softball coach. I knew things might go sideways when she did a "meet the new coach" Zoom call in July and asked the players to state their name, their position, and tell everyone who their favorite baseball player was. Wut? Baseball player?

Our team graduated our two very talented pitchers, and we are trying to get by with a single freshman pitcher who is good, but doesn't have the speed or control to pitch CGs. We have two other pitchers "on paper" but not really. We have one. Softball is a fall sport here, so we're playing now.

Yesterday, the full extent of our troubles was laid bare. One of the assistants was calling pitches instead of letting our daughter (the starting catcher) call the game - not usually a problem, but he kept calling for change ups and inside pitches (over and over again) to their best batters. It went about as well as you could expect. Doubles, triples and homeruns. About halfway through., my daughter convinced the assistant to let her call the pitches, and things settled down. The damage was already done.

We went into the bottom of the 7th down 14-5. Leadoff batter gets on base, and coach tells her to steal 2nd. She does. Then the coach tells her to steal third, and she's thrown out. We managed to plate a run before we got the third out, and then one of our batters gets on base. We've got one out left in the game and (yep, you guessed it) the game ends on a CS to second.

Why? I give the players props for listening to their coach, but why in God's name are you stealing bases in the bottom of the 7th when you need EIGHT runs? The team actually has enough good bats where it actually is a possibility that they could have that kind of two-out rally. Lots of murmurs in the stands in that last inning. I feel especially bad for the seniors. It is especially tough when so many of the players are very very good travel players who intimately understand the game.
Baseball has as much to do with softball coaching as much as your daughter attending a private school has to do with the story. It could be Glynn County High School and the point of the story would be the same. 🤣

Aug 25, 2019
My daughter goes to a private school. Last year, everything came together, and they ended up losing in the state finals after working all the way back through the losers bracket to the finals. After that, the school's 20-year softball coach retired, and the school put a new hire in charge of the team. She comes from a family where baseball was everything (coach's father was a semi-pro and apparently a long-time coach), which was enough for the school administration to let her be the head softball coach. I knew things might go sideways when she did a "meet the new coach" Zoom call in July and asked the players to state their name, their position, and tell everyone who their favorite baseball player was. Wut? Baseball player?

Our team graduated our two very talented pitchers, and we are trying to get by with a single freshman pitcher who is good, but doesn't have the speed or control to pitch CGs. We have two other pitchers "on paper" but not really. We have one. Softball is a fall sport here, so we're playing now.

Yesterday, the full extent of our troubles was laid bare. One of the assistants was calling pitches instead of letting our daughter (the starting catcher) call the game - not usually a problem, but he kept calling for change ups and inside pitches (over and over again) to their best batters. It went about as well as you could expect. Doubles, triples and homeruns. About halfway through., my daughter convinced the assistant to let her call the pitches, and things settled down. The damage was already done.

We went into the bottom of the 7th down 14-5. Leadoff batter gets on base, and coach tells her to steal 2nd. She does. Then the coach tells her to steal third, and she's thrown out. We managed to plate a run before we got the third out, and then one of our batters gets on base. We've got one out left in the game and (yep, you guessed it) the game ends on a CS to second.

Why? I give the players props for listening to their coach, but why in God's name are you stealing bases in the bottom of the 7th when you need EIGHT runs? The team actually has enough good bats where it actually is a possibility that they could have that kind of two-out rally. Lots of murmurs in the stands in that last inning. I feel especially bad for the seniors. It is especially tough when so many of the players are very very good travel players who intimately understand the game.
Ah, the worst thing about School ball is that you can't change teams, you either stuck there, or don't play......Although I've heard here that some people actually changed high schools to have DD on a better team.

Apr 1, 2017
If you ask my DD who her favorite softball player is, she'd shrug her shoulders, she really doesn't know any. If pressed, she probably say Jenny Finch. The only thing she loves about softball is playing it, which is the most important thing.
I have twins that both love playing softball. The one watches tons of baseball and football on TV/in person, plays sports related video games, etc. The other one probably couldn't name a single professional athlete if her life depended on it.

Aug 25, 2019
Sounds like the ump we had for a game this summer. Come out for the pre-game meeting and he's asking us what the rules are.... After giving him a few basics, he responds with "oh, so it's baseball, but with a bigger ball"..... The other team's coach and I just looked at each with a "oh boy, here we go" smile.
Yikes!....First thing he probably said to himself is "why aren't these girls taking leads?"

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drid