School coach doesn't understand the game

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Coach has to know what they have to work with, which takes time if you don't know all of your players. First handful of games, the coach is pretty much massaging the lineup to see how each player compliments each other. I mentioned previously, DD college teammate was batting at the bottom of the lineup to start the year. After a few series, coach had her batting #1. Batted .446. Mostly infield bunt singles. Speed Kills. You have to learn each player's strengths and weaknesses. Of course having situational awareness is a key proponent of game management.

Let's face it, most of us bucket dads/moms spent 8-10 years working with our DD's teams learning how to manage a game just be sheer volume of games. We started in 8U and learned what works and what doesn't through trial and error during many, many games. If your DD plays 50-100 games a year over 6-8 year period, you tend to see it all. A newly hired right out college former player does NOT have the experience that we have. I imagine that my DD has played nearly 700-800 games in her lifetime. Just because you played the game, doesn't mean you can coach/manage a game the first time out. When you are player, you are told what to do, and you do it. You are not sitting with the coaching staff having the conversation as to the how and why's of what is happening during the game. Watch a college game. What are those players doing in the dugout? Many of them are trying to have fun, looking for opportunities to be on TV, thinking about what they are gonna after the game, what is blowing up on the phone in the team bus, and who knows what else. For the most part, they are not thinking about what is the coach thinking right now. Some maybe, but most not.

I realized this after DD's first former young newly out of college TB coach couldn't manage a game. She got out coached all of the time. She could put a practice plan together, she played favorites, she made them run for errors, she didn't talk to her asst coaches about strategy, she was arrogant to a fault. That was her last time to coach, that I am aware of. I bet if she coached another year, she would be better than her first year.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Coach has to know what they have to work with, which takes time if you don't know all of your players. First handful of games, the coach is pretty much massaging the lineup to see how each player compliments each other. I mentioned previously, DD college teammate was batting at the bottom of the lineup to start the year. After a few series, coach had her batting #1. Batted .446. Mostly infield bunt singles. Speed Kills. You have to learn each player's strengths and weaknesses. Of course having situational awareness is a key proponent of game management.

Let's face it, most of us bucket dads/moms spent 8-10 years working with our DD's teams learning how to manage a game just be sheer volume of games. We started in 8U and learned what works and what doesn't through trial and error during many, many games. If your DD plays 50-100 games a year over 6-8 year period, you tend to see it all. A newly hired right out college former player does NOT have the experience that we have. I imagine that my DD has played nearly 700-800 games in her lifetime. Just because you played the game, doesn't mean you can coach/manage a game the first time out. When you are player, you are told what to do, and you do it. You are not sitting with the coaching staff having the conversation as to the how and why's of what is happening during the game. Watch a college game. What are those players doing in the dugout? Many of them are trying to have fun, looking for opportunities to be on TV, thinking about what they are gonna after the game, what is blowing up on the phone in the team bus, and who knows what else. For the most part, they are not thinking about what is the coach thinking right now. Some maybe, but most not.

I realized this after DD's first former young newly out of college TB coach couldn't manage a game. She got out coached all of the time. She could put a practice plan together, she played favorites, she made them run for errors, she didn't talk to her asst coaches about strategy, she was arrogant to a fault. That was her last time to coach, that I am aware of. I bet if she coached another year, she would be better than her first year.
👍
Call that 'Coaching learning curve'
Dramatically affects travel ball !

Speak of it by saying
These are mostly parents with the word Coach, not the experience of a Coach.

Even gaining some experience at younger levels doesnt mean its prepairing for next levels...where the learning curve continues.

Would be prudent to educate learning curve by attending upper levels venues...
Just a suggestion :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles