School coach doesn't understand the game

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Aug 20, 2017
Inside pitches are killer if you're hitting your spot. If you're not coach is getting blamed
I call pitches. If the hitter is on top of the plate guess where we throw it, inside! It’s pitch calling 101. I’m sure the ones questioning pitch calling were checking to see where the hitters were standing 😐

Jun 26, 2020
But they sure do suck for the girl playing 3rd.
When my girls are pitching I hope the batter can hit it hard with her fingernails broken off. They'll saw you off in a second. If you get a piece of it it typically goes in the 3rd base dugout

Mar 10, 2020
My daughter goes to a private school. Last year, everything came together, and they ended up losing in the state finals after working all the way back through the losers bracket to the finals. After that, the school's 20-year softball coach retired, and the school put a new hire in charge of the team. She comes from a family where baseball was everything (coach's father was a semi-pro and apparently a long-time coach), which was enough for the school administration to let her be the head softball coach. I knew things might go sideways when she did a "meet the new coach" Zoom call in July and asked the players to state their name, their position, and tell everyone who their favorite baseball player was. Wut? Baseball player?

Our team graduated our two very talented pitchers, and we are trying to get by with a single freshman pitcher who is good, but doesn't have the speed or control to pitch CGs. We have two other pitchers "on paper" but not really. We have one. Softball is a fall sport here, so we're playing now.

Yesterday, the full extent of our troubles was laid bare. One of the assistants was calling pitches instead of letting our daughter (the starting catcher) call the game - not usually a problem, but he kept calling for change ups and inside pitches (over and over again) to their best batters. It went about as well as you could expect. Doubles, triples and homeruns. About halfway through., my daughter convinced the assistant to let her call the pitches, and things settled down. The damage was already done.

We went into the bottom of the 7th down 14-5. Leadoff batter gets on base, and coach tells her to steal 2nd. She does. Then the coach tells her to steal third, and she's thrown out. We managed to plate a run before we got the third out, and then one of our batters gets on base. We've got one out left in the game and (yep, you guessed it) the game ends on a CS to second.

Why? I give the players props for listening to their coach, but why in God's name are you stealing bases in the bottom of the 7th when you need EIGHT runs? The team actually has enough good bats where it actually is a possibility that they could have that kind of two-out rally. Lots of murmurs in the stands in that last inning. I feel especially bad for the seniors. It is especially tough when so many of the players are very very good travel players who intimately understand the game.
Senior year dd high school team brought in a coach who new everything needed to coach rec ball. She was one of two pitchers.
HC did pitch calling. Would call 3 of the same pitches in a row.
Daughter decided to make the best of it. Went to talk to the coach she asked if he would come to bullpen workouts with her because she wanted to develop a better game plan. See if she could influence and it actually worked.

May 23, 2015

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
The money ran out of the Silver Bullets. Coors put in several million, but they could never sell the idea. They screwed up big time playing exhibition game and random unathletic men beat them. Niekro though playing Kevin Costner and friends was a good idea...
Ladies League Pro Baseball had only one seaon in the 90's. Around the same time as Silver Bullets.

Heres a story of a female mlb candidate from France.
Interesting story also of her outreach to get recruited in U.S. for softball....and did.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drid