Questions for high school coaches?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 13, 2023
3) Only one question for OP to ask, What is best for my DD education? That's it. IMO
If a person is going to be approaching hs coach with that in mind,

Then perhaps the questions should be,

1. Coach do you let players skip practice in lieu of better academics?
2. Do players get benched if they miss practice to study?

Starting nine included.

Oct 5, 2017
Western Indiana
If a person is going to be approaching hs coach with that in mind,

Then perhaps the questions should be,

Starting nine included.
If you miss a practice you will not start the next game period. That has always been my policy. (Notice I did not say you won't play, I said you will not start.)
Part of being on a team is time management and learn how to deal with all responsibilities. On of my best players is a finalist for the biggest scholarship in the state (full tuition at any state school) 2nd in her class by .01. She has never needed to miss practice to study. Also, if you miss 3 unexcused practices you will be asked to leave the team. I am a teacher and I understand the importance of education but you choose to participate you are responsible.

Jan 20, 2023
A couple of things as a high school coach:
3) Only one question for OP to ask, What is best for my DD education? That's it. IMO

This is top of our list- but also well being. So many problems start in high school - looking out for the overall mental state of students and drug culture at a school is also a big consideration. I’ve heard some pretty rough stories from multiple interns at work who graduated from one particular, very well regarded school nearby that crossed it off our list.

May 13, 2023
To this comment ⬆️
These questions are important⬇️
Because this maybe the answer ⬇️
If you miss a practice you will not start the next game period. That has always been my policy. (Notice I did not say you won't play, I said you will not start.)
Part of being on a team is time management and learn how to deal with all responsibilities. On of my best players is a finalist for the biggest scholarship in the state (full tuition at any state school) 2nd in her class by .01. She has never needed to miss practice to study. Also, if you miss 3 unexcused practices you will be asked to leave the team. I am a teacher and I understand the importance of education but you choose to participate you are responsible.

Agreed time management is important. Also equally important is not all coaches handle things the same way. imo always good to ask questions and not assume coaches handle things the same.

Apr 14, 2022
What math are you basing that off of?
I assume run expectancy charts. Using Div 2
Runner on second 0 outs, single,
Held at 3rd 2.147 runs
Runner scores, batter holds at first 1.67 runs.
Runner scores, batter advances to 2nd on throw, 2.45 runs.
Runner out, batter remains on first .627 runs that inning plus a loss of .1-.9 runs in last inning.
Runner out, batter to 2nd. .85 runs plus a loss of .1-.9 runs in the last inning.
No one thinks about losing an at bat in the last inning.
Even if you look at taking second you gain .3 runs while losing up to 1.6.
In most cases using these numbers as bad as they are slanted toward running. For a couple of reasons.
1. Many teams can have a .950 ops, do you really want an out with Juan Soto (.94 ops) on deck? Look up teams Ops on gc then look up equivalent mlb player for career. Puts it in perspective.
2. I have found teams that cannot throw you out, you are probably beating anyhow, teams that can throw you out are good, will get runners if you keep pressing. If you are good probably a 1-2 run game for vs against. In other words teams that aggressive base running works, you would win doing nothing.

The thing I feel keeps this from jumping out, is both teams usually have the same strategy. Kind of like early civil war strategy seamed effective for the winner in battles, but it was because both sides was using the same outdated strategy and not caught up technology changes. So no-one realized it was outdated.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Being on a high school team where any of the coaches are parents of current players just sucks, even if they don't play the same position.
YUP, beware of playing on a team where the HC has a daughter on the team. :cool::eek::cool:

Oct 4, 2018
I am somewhat guilty of this at times. It is really hard to bench seniors that have been with you a while for younger players. I would imagine if the talent level is close, coaches will go with experience. I have one senior that will likely be replaced in the starting lineup this year by a young player. But I will do what I can to get her some reps in her senior year. I will play the best players, because that is what is fair to the team as a whole. But I am aware it sucks for upperclassmen to get passed by. Benching girls that have done everything you have asked is tough and I don’t envy any coach that has to do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, that's why I say to find out. So you know what you're getting into. I'm not hugely opposed to the concept, but if it's not what you're told or what you're used to it's a drag.

Jan 25, 2022
My state has "open borders." You can attend any school you want, as long as you have transportation. If you've played any varsity time in a sport, you have to transfer then sit out a full year before playing at the new school. Some schools will allow a transfer to practice with the team, though. You can also appeal for an exception for various reasons. I believe any middle school player switching schools for high school doesn't have to sit out.

As I understand it, the state next door doesn't even make a player sit out a year. Some of the football programs at more desirable schools are just absurd. My alma mater won their first game 92-7 vs a team who used to be a perennial power.

To the original questions, I would ask about the level of parent difficulty, and if my kid wasn't a stud I would inquire about roster depth. Having a choice of where to play is a privilege. I wouldn't waste that opportunity by going to a dysfunctional program, or a deep program where my opportunities to play would be minimal.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles