School coach doesn't understand the game

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Ah, the worst thing about School ball is that you can't change teams, you either stuck there, or don't play......Although I've heard here that some people actually changed high schools to have DD on a better team.

A few of the high-level players in our school district go to HS in neighboring districts so they can play on better school teams. A few others go to private schools. It's left my DD's HS team pretty thin on talent.

Jun 26, 2020
Being concerned about a coach asking girls who their favorite baseball player is nitpicking at best. Yes your coach made a bad decision. Who cares about breaking up a double play when you're down by 10 in the seventh.

The problem you have with high school is that the majority require a teacher to coach the team unless no one steps up to take the job. You get what you get unfortunately

Jun 26, 2020
Having a bb background may have nothing to do with being able to coach or not.

imo
However asking softball players
'who is favorite bb player'
Shows a disconnect communicating about softball.
Really should be who is favorite softball player/team.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Ridiculous
Its ok if you think or anyone thinks it's ridiculous that I commented about the mindset of a coach.

Think its ridiculous a coach would ask a softball player who's there favorite bb player.

Here to play softball.
Wouldnt have an answer to that because bb doesnt matter to me, has nothing to do with being on a softball team.
bb never ever entered my mind in regards to HOW to play softball.
Not a single part of bb.

Last edited:

radness

Dec 13, 2019
You get what you get unfortunately
Just read a post about h.s. players going to other h.s. to play for whatever reasons.
But every where has its own story to tell!

How long would/should it take for a coach to learn the roster and make better coaching decisions?

Half way threw the season?
2nd half better than 1st half?!

Jun 26, 2020
Its ok if you think or anyone thinks it's ridiculous that I commented about the mindset of a coach.

Think its ridiculous i coach would ask a softball player who's there favorite bb player.

I wouldnt have an answer to that because bb doesnt matter to me.
bb never ever entered my mind in regards to HOW to play softball.
Not a single part of bb.
Why is baseball the troubling question for you? What about music or food? You're doing neither on the field.

This coach probably was talking about her interest and not trying to make her softball players evil baseball players. I also assume the awkardness of zoom adds to it. If someone asked you it would be appropriate to say coach I'm not interested in baseball, but my favorite SD player is _____

No need to get offended over an innocuous question

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Why is baseball the troubling question for you? What about music or food? You're doing neither on the field.

This coach probably was talking about her interest and not trying to make her softball players evil baseball players. I also assume the awkardness of zoom adds to it. If someone asked you it would be appropriate to say coach I'm not interested in baseball, but my favorite SD player is _____

No need to get offended over an innocuous question
Its NOT trubbling.
Original post made a joke about it.
My answer was Terry Bradshaw ;)
Its simply the mindset of the coach.
Its disconnected from softball.
That's it.
Can only use what the op offered to understand the situation.
commented earlier bb background may have nothing to do with ability to coach.

Btw in spanish class did they ask you what your favorite word is in french class? Lol just being silly.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2010
he kept calling for change ups and inside pitches (over and over again) to their best batters.
"The inside half of the plate. That's where history's made." -Ted Williams

Nice that the assistant coach could make his contribution to history, lol

*** Edited to add: Maybe I shouldn't have quoted a baseball player in this thread. Please pretend Crystl Bustos said that instead.

Jun 26, 2020
"The inside half of the plate. That's where history's made." -Ted Williams

Nice that the assistant coach could make his contribution to history, lol

*** Edited to add: Maybe I shouldn't have quoted a baseball player in this thread. Please pretend Crystl Bustos said that instead.
Inside pitches are killer if you're hitting your spot. If you're not coach is getting blamed

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mkhill45