Recruiting at Showcase Tournaments. What does your team do?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 22, 2009
PA
Glad to see that [MENTION=3322]BB875[/MENTION] deleted their post as it was way off the mark and perpetuates one of the biggest myths in softball. Many kids at big D1 schools, including my DD and many of her friends were first seen on TB teams your have never heard of before. Only once they verbaled did some make a jump to the mythical big name teams. If you have the goods and properly work the process, who you play for is of little consequence.

I agree that one does not have to play for one of the big name organizations to be successfully recruited, especially if you are a lights out player. However, an average player on an average team that is just starting to play showcases has little to no realistic shot. I think you would agree that the softball world is full of daddy coaches who have convinced their players to "stay with them up through the Gold (now National) level" and they will get recruited. Nothing could be further from the truth. Only one out of every 11 HS players make it onto a college roster at any level. You can absolutely get recruited off a local travel team if you are really, really "special" player. But if you are not, sometimes the cache of a big organization will help get you on the radar if you are putting in the individual work to get a coach's interest and you can get on the field where the college coaches actually show up.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
I agree that one does not have to play for one of the big name organizations to be successfully recruited, especially if you are a lights out player. However, I think you would agree that the softball world is full of daddy coaches who have convinced their players to "stay with them up through the Gold (now National) level" and they will get recruited. Nothing could be further from the truth. Only one out of every 11 HS players make it onto a college roster at any level. You can absolutely get recruited off a local travel team if you are really, really "special" player. But if you are not, sometimes the cache of a big organization will help get you on the radar if you are putting in the individual work to get a coach's interest and you can get on the field where the college coaches actually show up.

Yes, an average player on an average team that is just starting to play showcases has little to no realistic shot at getting recruited by BigNameU. If you take that player and put them on "big name team" they still do not have a realistic shot at BigNameU. Why? Because they are still an average player, they are just wearing different uniform.

It is true that only 1 out of 11 HS players will play college softball. It is also true that the vast majority of HS players are not making an honest effort to play college softball. So it is really a meaningless statistic. Conversely, virtually 100% of TB players that make an honest effort to secure a college softball opportunity will be successful. In fact I am often amazed at skills of some players who have secured such an opportunity. I have always said that there is a home for every player.

Finally, if you look hard at some of the "big name teams" most of their players do not go on to stardom at BigNameU". Quite a few end up at NeverheardOfU. And those that do go on to BigNameU often established that relationship with the school before they joined the "big name team'.

Aug 26, 2011
Houston, Texas
We have a true recruiting coordinator. Before joining our "staff", he actually ran his own personal sports recruiting business. He is a bulldog of a recruiter but honestly, he may be past his prime. Anyway, for the uncommitted players, he works hard emailing/texting coaches to all corners of the US which recently has trimmed down to Texas and surrounding states due to the current desires of our players (none want to go that far from home and Texas is already a big state LOL). At showcases/tournaments, he hunts coaches and passes on information verbally along with a team brochure. In return, he gets information about what years/positions they are looking for. I can't say it has been all too successful because the schools that are interested in DD, she did on her own. The #1 school on her list, she absolutely did on her own, and the rapport that they have has been very personable and will probably be the clincher in her decision. ANYWAY, I also believe in the "right time and right place" theory AND having that one video that catches their eye. I also believe in the "it's who you know". Insiders with closer connections to coaches have a bigger advantage because those coaches will listen/pay attention to insiders before they will a strange recruiter. Add to this...camps...I have mixed feelings about this because I think camps: 1) are money makers and 2) attention is given more to players with special invites so you would REALLY have to stand out above those players to get attention...which can be hard to do at big name schools since their camps are huge; but I have heard success stories about camps.

And I agree with RB's post ^^^...although around here, we have high schools with several D1 commits on their teams...and not small or mid, but big D1.

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Insiders with closer connections to coaches have a bigger advantage because those coaches will listen/pay attention to insiders before they will a strange recruiter.

And I agree with RB's post ^^^...although around here, we have high schools with several D1 commits on their teams...and not small or mid, but big D1.

maksoftball is spot on! DD's team has a true recruiter that walks around talking to the coaches and does a pretty good job. He is "in the loop" with schools across the country as his daughter went through the process many years ago and she has been a D1 coach for sometime, although the school is on the west coast where no kids from Texas ever go. The connections he has can be pretty beneficial especially when he can pick up his phone and easily talk to a coach about a certain kid to gauge interest. Over the weekend we played a showcase against some of the best 18U Gold local teams with only Major D1 commits on these teams many of which maksoftball alludes to. There were about 10 college coaches watching our games, but these programs were not the major programs. The major D1 college coaches were watching the 14U teams at the other complexes. If you have Major D1 aspirations you need to be on the radar at 14U or early 16U or it ain't gonna happen...for the most part.

Back to the point. Having a connected recruiter is very important in the process that can shorten the communication process. "Hey coach, how's it going? That's great to hear! I wanted to talk to you about Susie Softball that we have on our team. She is interested in your school and she says that she has been sending emails and skills videos to you. I believe that she might be a good fit for your program. What is your level of interest in her?" Their answer will either tell you to mark them off the list, continue to update them on your progress, set up a phone call for a chat session, or get that kid to my next camp ASAP. We received these answers: We already have a 2019 Catcher, does she play other positions? Have her send me a video. Another answer was, "we like her and we will continue to follow her." We may not have been able to get those questions answered if we were on another team. As others have said previously, the recruiting game is a process of elimination and as soon as you can begin marking programs off your list, the more narrow your focus becomes.

This forum has been invaluable to my family, and I certainly appreciate all those that contribute their experiences. As I talk to other parents I find that they are clueless. I talked to a dad on our team who has a pretty darn good pitcher. They have not sent ANY emails! He said that he is going to wait until after October. What?!?! Again, so thankful I found this site.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Conversely, virtually 100% of TB players that make an honest effort to secure a college softball opportunity will be successful. In fact I am often amazed at skills of some players who have secured such an opportunity. I have always said that there is a home for every player.

I agree w/ your post overall, but I would temper this.

IMO, there is not a 'good' home for every player. Every player who plays travel ball for half their childhood and who remains good enough to make a respectable TB team at 18U can get on a college roster somewhere, because there are some 2,000 college teams out there, and many struggle to fill out their rosters.

But what are the odds that a player will get an opportunity that for them is more attractive than being a regular student somewhere else?

Another deceiving part about the '100%' is that by 18U many have given up and are no longer making an honest effort because they realize they aren't good enough to play at the college level they would find acceptable.

May 30, 2013
Binghamton, NY
Finally, if you look hard at some of the "big name teams" most of their players do not go on to stardom at BigNameU". Quite a few end up at NeverheardOfU.

It's such a complex issue.

Having the skills + plus connections to be recruited by BigNameU is one thing,
but also the player must have the desire to play for BigNameU.
Does BigNameU offer the major the player wants to study? Is it a reputable program? Will that major conflict with BigNameU game/practice schedule? etc.

The best academic fit for a player should be the primary concern, and probably more often than not, BigNameU isn't the best academic choice.
(probably why you see so many player from premier travel clubs going to non-BigNameU teams?)

I mean, how does an 8th or 9th grader "verbal" to BigNameU?
How can that child truly know that BigNameU is a good fit?
They can't! All they can know is that BigNameU is a university that has lots of things to study, and the team is a perennial college world series participant.

I am beginning to think that if you are a viable candidate to be recruited by a BigNameU, and you have a strong desire to play for a top team,
you may as well "verbal" with the best program that shows interest in you, attend BigNameU, study something and play for 4 years;
and THEN go on to graduate school and study what you really want to make a career out of.

It's a common credo that "the only school that matters on your resume, is the last one you attended."

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
...It's a common credo that "the only school that matters on your resume, is the last one you attended."

That is until you get a real job and actually acquire some marketable skills, something you do not get in college. In most professions once you prove you can actually contribute, nobody cares where you went to school. Kind of like when you get into a college softball program, nobody cares who you played TB with, or what you did in HS.

I think the whole "academic fit" concern is often overstated. As long as you get a decent education in a field with strong demand you will be just fine. But if you insist on getting that Art History or Gender Studies degree you better learn to up sell the value meals at the drive thru.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
That is until you get a real job and actually acquire some marketable skills, something you do not get in college. In most professions once you prove you can actually contribute, nobody cares where you went to school. Kind of like when you get into a college softball program, nobody cares who you played TB with, or what you did in HS.

I think the whole "academic fit" concern is often overstated. As long as you get a decent education in a field with strong demand you will be just fine. But if you insist on getting that Art History or Gender Studies degree you better learn to up sell the value meals at the drive thru.

Question: What do you call the student that finished last in medical school?
Answer: Doctor.

May 30, 2013
Binghamton, NY

I agree.
The University that appears on your resume is really only valuable towards your first real job after college.

I disagree.
Making educational/career concessions, to play softball at BigNameU in one of the coach's "approved majors" is a HUGE mistake,
if you have no plans/money for graduate school and aren't interested in the choices they allow.
Especially if your BigNameU tuition/room/board isn't 100% covered by some combination of athletic/academic/grant/aide.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
I agree.
...Making educational/career concessions, to play softball at BigNameU in one of the coach's "approved majors" is a HUGE mistake,
if you have no plans/money for graduate school and aren't interested in the choices they allow.
Especially if your BigNameU tuition/room/board isn't 100% covered by some combination of athletic/academic/grant/aide.

I think if you look at it objectively you will find that the vast majority of recruits do not make such concessions, and are happy with their major and the opportunity afforded them. There is much more to the college athletics experience than playing the game and getting an education. After 4 years you should leave with much more than a degree. Those that do feel the need to make concessions are certainly the exception, not the norm. They know, or should know what they are getting in to and make that decision of their own free will. Let's not color the experience as somehow unfair or the players as victims. That is simply not the case.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00