Recruiting mistakes

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
When my dd was being recruited, there was an Ivy League school that wanted her. I recall talking about the cost. The coach said that she was reasonably sure that my dd's academic resume and community service record would enable her to qualify for monies. Then, she said, "Besides she stands a great chance of meeting her husband here." Meaning that financially, after college they should do well and be connected. LOL

I am reasonably sure that the counselors at most high schools now have access to videos and materials that outline debt for college. We took advantage of that when my dd went through the process.

Apr 28, 2014
A lot college coaches like to change a batters swing or a pitchers wind up.. All in the name of improving the raw talent that they saw at the travel level. Doesn't always work out. Also some players just aren't good enough and they find out when the arrive.

May 27, 2013
Back to the original point, I think you may be underestimating the distain many have for any education that doesn't directly lead to a career and liberal arts colleges in general as they view it the domain of "liberal elites". Having attended one myself and having children who both currently attend one I am acutely aware of the anger expressed online towards these types of institutions
I am aware of the disdain of which you speak. Both of my kids currently attend LACs, as well. One is on an academic scholarship at a school he probably would not have attended if it wasn’t for the merit money. However, the merit he receives makes it actually extremely comparable to the two flagship schools in my state - and he did not want the big school vibe.

DD’s school does not offer merit money as it is very high academic; however, we feel that it has opened doors for her already that she most likely would not have otherwise experienced. The education there will be worth it for her specific situation as long as she continues to do well.

Nov 5, 2014
I am aware of the disdain of which you speak. Both of my kids currently attend LACs, as well. One is on an academic scholarship at a school he probably would not have attended if it wasn’t for the merit money. However, the merit he receives makes it actually extremely comparable to the two flagship schools in my state - and he did not want the big school vibe.

DD’s school does not offer merit money as it is very high academic; however, we feel that it has opened doors for her already that she most likely would not have otherwise experienced. The education there will be worth it for her specific situation as long as she continues to do well.
If I remember your DD plays in the NESCAC, all great schools. I follow NESCAC softball fairly closely as DD had a couple of teammates a few years older than her who played at Tufts the last 4 years

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles