Recruiting mistakes

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 9, 2021
I've seen apparently talented players prioritize their social life over everything else, show up grossly out of shape, or even try to conceal a serious medical/mental problem.

There's a reason why so many players don't play out their eligibility, or even make it through the first year. It often has nothing to do with how good a player they were in HS.
Or just wanting to live a "normal" life. College sports is a grind. It is not for everyone. I wish more people understood this.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
...and the rigors of College just for academics isn't for everyone...

View attachment 29124

Holy mackerel 40 million were College dropouts in 2021.
I see about a 25% transfer rate for first-year students every year. And I always get at least one student who either never makes it to school, or they come home within a few days.

College is tough.

Jul 11, 2023
It's been quite a while since I graduated high school and I can really only relate to 1 high school in the country so my sample size doesn't make a great argument. But we were pushed into colleges like the counselor was getting paid commission. Here's your FAFSA and if you don't really know what you want yet, you're going to apply here. We were sold you had to get a bachelor's in 4 years or you were doomed to a life of poverty. So many of us get rushed out into a world we aren't prepared to manage.

You had to find out on your own that you could go to community college to start. Save some money on gen ed courses and transfer into your desired program. Or you can take 5, 7, or in my case, 9 years to get a Bachelor's and you'll be just fine.

You see memes online about graduates needing 3-5 years of experience for an "entry level" job. Well, if you took 9 years, you could also be working and actually meet that nonsense. lol.

So yeah, I have even more respect for kids who participated in athletics in college. I personally can't fathom how it would have ever worked out for me since I didn't feel prepared for reality without sports. NIL has introduced changes. But how would a poor kid previously had time to make any spending money even if they were on a full ride?

Last edited:

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
So yeah, I have even more respect for kids who participated in athletics in college. I personally can't fathom how it would have ever worked out for me since I didn't feel prepared for reality without sports. NIL has introduced changes. But how would a poor kid have time to make any spending money even if they were on a full ride?

Although we hear about some eye-popping numbers, only a small percentage of college athletes get any sort of NIL money. However, since 2015, scholarship athletes do get cost-of-attendance stipends beyond the tuition, room, & board.

May 26, 2022
California
Coaches have to make a decision based on what information they have. Then have to make a selection based on what they think will happen in the future.
With all the different categories that could hope can come into alignment, simply hard to check every box with every player. What we see on the field has to do with a lot more than just the title softball player.

Attitude
Effort
Skills sets (Fielding throwing hitting Etc)
Personality (Spirited, Hard nosed, cryer Ect)
Ability to handle academics
Ability to handle full schedule
Ability to follow Coaching Direction/standards
& More ___________________

And this
After players make a commitment there is usually a chunk of months before they even arrive at the college. During that period, different things seem to happen with players.
Some keep working hard at it and some take their foot off the gas.
Then once at College can be a completely different living experience than they can imagine. Freedom of being out of the parental nest and big responsibility at the same time.
With my daughter getting committed and having the ability to talk with the coaches now, it's absolutely amazing how LITTLE time they have to watch all the kids. Do they make mistakes? Sure but they're human just like us. Like you listed above, there are a ton of factors that that come in to play outside of whether they can hit a ball well or make a play. LOTS of kids can do that. Coaches want to see how well they fit in to their program and whether or not they will be a successful STUDENT. Cause that's what it's all about right?

Last edited:

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
Or just wanting to live a "normal" life. College sports is a grind. It is not for everyone. I wish more people understood this.
I don't think the requirements are a huge mystery to most. Those who compete at the higher levels often come from families with direct experience, or are routinely around people who can tell them exactly what to expect. An athlete shouldn't allow college sports to compromise their future in terms of completing a meaningful course of study or a debilitating injury, but it's a great opportunity that will only be there for a very narrow window of time. Either you give it everything you've got, or clear the way for someone who wants it more.

May 13, 2023
Either you give it everything you've got, or clear the way for someone who wants it more.
Yes! This factor ⬆️ really gets measured in the moments when the day after day grind starts taking place!

May only be an individuals best guess until faced with it!
( even for those that it's been explained to in detail, maybe with family examples or friends that are there already, still takes being in the midst of it to know)

Oct 4, 2018
Evaluating athletic talent seems relatively easy compared to the evaluation of character. It's far harder to get the measure of someone's integrity and work ethic than how well they throw, run, or swing a bat. I've seen some epic misses in terms of character. In at least one instance, objectionable personality traits were on full display during an overnight campus visit, but the coaches somehow didn't notice. I've seen apparently talented players prioritize their social life over everything else, show up grossly out of shape, or even try to conceal a serious medical/mental problem.

There's a reason why so many players don't play out their eligibility, or even make it through the first year. It often has nothing to do with how good a player they were in HS.

... and the one person most able to share that info (their travel coach) most likely won't give anything but a glowing review. They certainly don't want to be responsible for a girl's dreams being crushed.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles