Recruiting mistakes

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 4, 2018
With my daughter getting committed and having the ability to talk with the coaches now, it's absolutely amazing how LITTLE time they have to watch all the kids. Do they make mistakes? Sure but they're human just like us. Like you listed above, there are a ton of factors that that come in to play outside of whether they can hit a ball well or make a play. LOTS of kids can do that. Coaches want to see how well they fit in to their program and whether or not they will be a successful STUDENT. Cause that's what it's all about right?

Student/Athlete, not Athlete/Student.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
I disagree with how they come up with some of these statistics. For example, one post showed a statement that X percent dropped out in July but reenrolled in August. That is what some call summer where students are used to doing other things like making some money for college.

It took me 10 years to get my degree. I never considered myself a dropout. Instead, I had to work as a welder and machinist, ... in order to support myself. As some of you understand, courses are often offered in sequence. I had to wait for some classes to roll around again due to sequence.

Many college athletes need to take JUCO or community college courses during the summer in order to graduate on time. How are these students factored in on these various surveys?

Oct 4, 2018
I disagree with how they come up with some of these statistics. For example, one post showed a statement that X percent dropped out in July but reenrolled in August. That is what some call summer where students are used to doing other things like making some money for college.

With your logic dropout rate would be near 100%.

I don't think they're counting summer break as drop out. These kids quit college. Some may have re-enrolled elsewhere, but they did drop out of their college. So it's fair.

But to your point, there should be another stat kept that shows "How many left college freshman year and were not re-enrolled in any college within a year"

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
How many students would have been better off attending a trade school? I know personally 3 plumbers that started their own company and they do more than quite well. Actually they are rich. Compare that to the semi worthless college degrees that do not lead to prosperous employment and result in a bunch of college debt. I wont mention the woke indoctrination, too.

Aug 5, 2022
How many students would have been better off attending a trade school? I know personally 3 plumbers that started their own company and they do more than quite well. Actually they are rich. Compare that to the semi worthless college degrees that do not lead to prosperous employment and result in a bunch of college debt. I wont mention the woke indoctrination, too.

Let’s not forget though that trade school careers also require talent and skill in that area. Not everyone can be a good plumber just like not everyone can be a good teacher or engineer or doctor. We can’t talk about trade school like anyone can do it and be rich because that’s no more true than getting rich off your college degree.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
There are so many factors that go into players sticking with a program and getting playing time. For example,
With your logic dropout rate would be near 100%.

I don't think they're counting summer break as drop out. These kids quit college. Some may have re-enrolled elsewhere, but they did drop out of their college. So it's fair.

But to your point, there should be another stat kept that shows "How many left college freshman year and were not re-enrolled in any college within a year"
How would they know? Do people announce that they are dropping out of college to the college? I've never seen someone contact a college and say that they were done.

In my example, I might have to wait for second semester of college to get back in sequence for some classes but I never dropped out. That is why it took me 10 years go get my degree.

Nov 5, 2014
I am a big supporter of trade school and think a significant percentage of the kids that are pushed into college despite not having any interest would be better off at a trade school but...

I know it has become trendy to bash liberal arts education and assume no benefit is derived from learning something that is not directly attributable to money making pursuits. I think that view, while popular amongst a segment of the population, is lazy and shortsighted. Don't get me wrong, these things can be taken to extremes, but traditional liberal arts education can help prepare young adults for successful careers without having a direct correlation with their area of study. In my experience hard working intelligent people make good employees whether they studied history or engineering.

May 27, 2013
I am a big supporter of trade school and think a significant percentage of the kids that are pushed into college despite not having any interest would be better off at a trade school but...

I know it has become trendy to bash liberal arts education and assume no benefit is derived from learning something that is not directly attributable to money making pursuits. I think that view, while popular amongst a segment of the population, is lazy and shortsighted. Don't get me wrong, these things can be taken to extremes, but traditional liberal arts education can help prepare young adults for successful careers without having a direct correlation with their area of study. In my experience hard working intelligent people make good employees whether they studied history or engineering.
While I agree with most of this, I think the issue more lies in the fact that kids are going to extremely expensive LAC’s and taking out large loans in order to be able to attend the school. Then when they graduate, they realize that the degree they obtained isn’t going to help them provide a salary that would be conducive to paying back that $200-300K loan, unless they continue on to obtain a PhD in their fields, while accumulating more debt.

Jun 7, 2016
Then when they graduate, they realize that the degree they obtained isn’t going to help them provide a salary that would be conducive to paying back that $200-300K loan, unless they continue on to obtain a PhD in their fields, while accumulating more debt.

Additionally, I have concerns that undergrad degrees are increasingly entry only tickets. That somehow, higher ed has created an escalator effect that to become "successful", one must punch those additional tickets, masters then PhD. It seems that this may be new rat race in as much as the cost ($ & time) is barely worth the pay bump. This was driven home to me recently when catching up with my college roomate and his wife's work experience as a biology grad.

Nov 5, 2014
While I agree with most of this, I think the issue more lies in the fact that kids are going to extremely expensive LAC’s and taking out large loans in order to be able to attend the school. Then when they graduate, they realize that the degree they obtained isn’t going to help them provide a salary that would be conducive to paying back that $200-300K loan, unless they continue on to obtain a PhD in their fields, while accumulating more debt.
No question that most families should be considering cost in the college selection process. My personal view is private schools, other than the most elite schools, are not worth the additional cost over state universities. Elite may be defined differently by each individual, for me when going through the process with my DD and DS that meant top 50 ranked. (Yes college rankings are imperfect and I was willing to be flexible if necessary but they are generally correlated with the selectivity of the schools which is a virtue in my opinion for many reasons)

Back to the original point, I think you may be underestimating the distain many have for any education that doesn't directly lead to a career and liberal arts colleges in general as they view it the domain of "liberal elites". Having attended one myself and having children who both currently attend one I am acutely aware of the anger expressed online towards these types of institutions

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles