Purpose of One Hand Drill?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jim

Apr 24, 2011
Ohio
Thanks, your video just reminded me that I bought the Insider Bat a while back. What do people think about using the Insider Bat for one hand drills?

I've never used the Insider bat. I'm more in favor of the use of short "regular" bats for one hand drills. I feel that the Insider bat can go a bit too far in the terms of bat lag and staying inside the ball. I'd be fearful of not delivering the barrel properly with the top hand. There is a such thing as staying too far inside the ball.

But again I've never actually used the Insider Bat, so this is just an opinion from what I've seen with that particular hitting aid.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
The best drill to do with this tool is to throw it as far away as possible. We discussed this silly thing over a period of a few weeks, and never could come to a possible solution on how it could improve a swing. A quote from Bouldersdad. No one I know likes this device.

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
SBFamily mentioned PVC bats. Bouldersdad I believe also use's them.
Here are a couple photos of them.
Abov the tape is shot that slides down the tube. Release way early and shot is released behind you.
Release right and shot will slide out at impact.

The top one was one Howard invented. His plastic is the heavy electrical pipe. Less likely to break.
I copied him on mine below. I have 30, 31,32, and 33 length ones. I have broke a 32, going with the heavier stuff on the next one.

hittingdevices001.jpg

garage007.jpg

Straightleg

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
The best drill to do with this tool is to throw it as far away as possible. We discussed this silly thing over a period of a few weeks, and never could come to a possible solution on how it could improve a swing. A quote from Bouldersdad. No one I know likes this device.

Mike Candrea: “The insider bat is a tremendous teaching tool to create the proper feel of staying inside the ball and releasing the angles we create in hitting. We use it for top hand and bottom hand drills! I love the elements of instant feedback and proper feel that it gives hitters of all ages!”

Don Slaught: “I highly recommend the insider bat. Very rarely do you come across a training aide that is easy to use and takes so little instruction. Immediately when the hitter picks up the insider bat his mind starts calculating the necessary swing path to hit the ball squarely.”

Natasha Watley: “The Insider Bat is a really great training tool. I was excited to find out about it because it helps players develop the right feel for keeping your hands inside the ball as they swing. I use it as a teaching tool with my Watley League in Los Angeles and at all the camps and clinics I do.”

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
We are aware of the above and they actually sent them to us to test and then we pitched them. Those posts were when it first came out, I think if you actually TALK to them now, they would give you a different opinion. Do you think everyone that posts on cereral commercials really eats the stuff! That is why Bustos only endorses what she actually uses. Example Jim's bat jack, she had us test it for a year before she endorsed the product. Don did not use it in his clinic last year, and I'm told ( As you have posted on here many times) Mike has changed the way he teaches. Howard doesn't post on here, but for those that follow his advice, don't use it. He agrees with Tim.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
We are aware of the above and they actually sent them to us to test and then we pitched them. Those posts were when it first came out, I think if you actually TALK to them now, they would give you a different opinion. Do you think everyone that posts on cereral commercials really eats the stuff! That is why Bustos only endorses what she actually uses. Example Jim's bat jack, she had us test it for a year before she endorsed the product. Don did not use it in his clinic last year, and I'm told ( As you have posted on here many times) Mike has changed the way he teaches.

People like Candrea and Slaught value their image ... they don't endorse a product simply to make a few bucks when they don't believe in a product's merits ... maybe that is what Bustos does, but it isn't what Candrea and Slaught do.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
Didn't know you knew them so well. Bustos and Howard do and they talk to them. Perhaps you need to talk to Mike or Don instead of posting what you think they now endorse. . People do change their minds. So I'm guessing you think Jim's bat jack falls into the type of product? Like I stated I worked a clinic with Slaught and he did not use this product. Anyone can cut and paste an old endorsement.

Back on topic, how do you use this tool when you work with a student, if you think it is so good?

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
The Insider Bat: The Flawed Logic Behind It - Page 11

This has 11 pages of posts on this training tool. So you can make up here mind by the posts if it works are not.

Plus here in 2009. http://www.discussfastpitch.com/softball-hitting-technical/1687-what-do-you-think-insider-bat-3.html

Note in 2009 Don Slaught taught a different way to grip the bat. A study by him and Enquest changed the way he now teaches to grip the bat. FSS has some good pictures of the correct way Don teaches, which the Bat Jack Forces you to do.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Didn't know you knew them so well. Bustos and Howard do and they talk to them. Perhaps you need to talk to Mike or Don instead of posting what you think they now endorse. . People do change their minds. So I'm guessing you think Jim's bat jack falls into the type of product? Like I stated I worked a clinic with Slaught and he did not use this product. Anyone can cut and paste an old endorsement.

Back on topic, how do you use this tool when you work with a student, if you think it is so good?

I personally haven't used the product much in the last year ... but then again, the primary product I use is a "bat" ... I don't need a lot of drills or gadgets. When I did use the product, I found that the intent was quickly learned and didn't need to be followed up by frequent uses of the product. It was decent enough tool for introducing the use of the top hand within a proper sequence ... but once learned, it was pretty much like riding a bike, and didn't need a lot of follow-up lessons on how to ride that particular bike.

As an FYI ... an inside/out swing is basically about getting the sequence correct. If a gadget helps you get the sequence correct ... then by all means, use that gadget. If you find that a bat barrel is sufficient, which is the case for me, then by all means use a bat barrel.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi