Outfield Depth Perception

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 25, 2022
Idk about yall, but something about softballs - maybe the color? Size? But it seems harder to judge up in the air.

It's the opposite for me. Often when I'm filling-in open spots in the OF, I imagine how hard it must be to see a white baseball and track it with an extra 100ft of field behind me.

Jan 1, 2024
A problem we see on a regular basis at the high school level... MOST younger outfielders have never been taught the importance of where to and how to focus when a pitch is being delivered to a batter. It is common to find them setting up with their view of the strike zone blocked by a teammate or an umpire. You cannot react quickly to a batted ball if you cannot see the bat hit the ball. You also cannot react to a batted ball quickly if you have never been taught to recognize angles off the bat. These flaws are just as common with experienced travel-ballers as they are with girls who have never before played. 10U is certainly old enough to understand these concepts if their coaches recognize the need to teach it.

Jan 1, 2024
How do you know they're doing this? Or do you bring it up to everyone and then see overall improvement?
As a varsity coach, I make it a point to walk around outside the outfield fence during our JV and middle school games and actually see how they position themselves. They do, in fact, often position themselves improperly. Many of them do not recognize the importance of taking charge and not letting a coach inadvertently move them into a bad position through positioning commands from the dugout. It is impossible for a coach in the dugout to know if their view is blocked. We make correct positioning a point of emphasis during practice.

May 13, 2023
Good stuff!
Many of them do not recognize the importance of taking charge and not letting a coach inadvertently move them into a bad position through positioning commands from the dugout.
Many are told to follow what the coach is telling them to do without the players ability to make a correction on their own. Even to the point of being scolded if they make a one two or three step adjustment beyond what the coach said.
It is impossible for a coach in the dugout to know if their view is blocked.
More coaches should be aware of this!
Great point! Allow the outfielders to make a correction for visual clarity!

We make correct positioning a point of emphasis during practice.
✔️👍

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
10U ball. Girls are still struggling to adjust their feet, take angles, flip their hips, and track the ball. We teach drop step, flipping hips, angling their approach, and getting under the ball. Unless it’s hit right to them, they struggle. They’re just not grasping the depth of the fly ball. This is on me as a coach - not blaming my players at all, I’m just not approaching this the right way so they understand. I’ve watched every drill, utilized different clinic technique, and we just can’t seem to get it right. Any pointers or help?
Are you using cones to give direction on the drop steps/angles and then standing at a decent distance to throw the fly balls so that OFs can work efficiently and get good reps?

PJR

Oct 3, 2016
10U ball. Girls are still struggling to adjust their feet, take angles, flip their hips, and track the ball. We teach drop step, flipping hips, angling their approach, and getting under the ball. Unless it’s hit right to them, they struggle. They’re just not grasping the depth of the fly ball. This is on me as a coach - not blaming my players at all, I’m just not approaching this the right way so they understand. I’ve watched every drill, utilized different clinic technique, and we just can’t seem to get it right. Any pointers or help?
Do similar drills up close one hand with tennis balls. Drop step left/right line drives, Drop step left/right small arc, Drop step left/right then throw opposite line drive(hip swivel), drop step left/right opposite complete turn. Don’t underestimate the difficulty running with a glove on, the fear of being hit in the head and the constant refrain to use two hands.(You can’t move well when trying to catch with two hands. At he same time have them run sprints with their gloves on. Tuck and run. The usually reason they can’t turn their hips is they are trying to run with their glove hand outstrearched to cathe the ball. Teach them run then use then time using the glove at the last second.

Jan 1, 2024
Good stuff!

Many are told to follow what the coach is telling them to do without the players ability to make a correction on their own. Even to the point of being scolded if they make a one two or three step adjustment beyond what the coach said.

More coaches should be aware of this!
Great point! Allow the outfielders to make a correction for visual clarity!

✔️👍
Softball becomes increasingly fast in each successive age group. ...And the speed increases exponentially. Coaches must provide a growth path with the goal of putting responsibility on the player for decision making. 10U is not too early to begin that process. Even at 10U and 12U, situations change way too quickly for the coach to be the sole source of decision making while the ball is in play. Coaches who fail to understand this will retard the ability of players to succeed as they enter higher levels of play.

Jan 1, 2024
Can/should an outfielder politely ask an ump to move a little if they are blocking their view of the hitting zone?
I don't recommend that. Its too complicated in games. It only takes a step or two one way or the other for the fielder to gain good view of the strike zone. The most common situation is the center fielder trying to see through the pitcher. The goal is for young players to recognize the handicap and take initiative to avoid it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles