Purpose of One Hand Drill?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 22, 2009
PA
My DD is playing for a new team this year - her choice, not mine, and I have backed away from coaching in order to let her have some space and play for a team without her dad being involved (this is a whole other post!).

Anyway, they started indoors yesterday with hitting once a week. The coaches (all dads with little coaching experience) seem to have the approach of looking for drills, and having the girls perform them without much thought or emphasis on proper technique. One odd drill I saw was they had the girls doing one-handed swings with their regular bats. What I saw was the girls (and the coaches who were demonstrating) drop their hands to waist-level just to initiate a swing. Almost every kid on this team has a problem with dropping their hands when they initiate a swing, and the coaches know this is a flaw that needs to be corrected. However, I see them using this drill that seems to ingrain dropping their hands and not emphasize a proper hand path. They "love" this drill, even though none of them can tell me exactly what it it supposed to emphasize and what the proper technique should be.

Can someone please school me on the purpose of this drill and what you are looking for when the girls are doing the drill? Shouldn't the coaches be using a smaller, lighter "one-handed" bat to do this drill? Does someone have video that shows proper and improper technique or common flaws?

Oct 14, 2008
The purpose is either to learn back elbow slot or front elbow drive. This is done with a much smaller bat, like a T ball bat. Dont see the use or purpose of using a bat that is so heavy it dosent allow you to do the drill much less screw with your mechanics trying to swing a bat thats to heavy.

Tim

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
I agree with the 2 prior posters in that one hand drills can be effetcive for isolating proper mechanics of front & back arm. But you have to use a lighter bat. When I do it with my 13 YO she uses my 7 YOs 15 oz T-ball bat.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
We make a special hitting device out of PVC pipe. It is cut to the length of the bat that the girl would normally swing. It has weight that slids during the swing and we use tennis grip , insted of bat grip. We hit tennis balls instead of softballs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi