Public School District Parent Coach Policy

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
Who cares if it's a clique if they are donating time and it works? If they were asked to be ACs then their kids were already in the mix to be the stars. If I'm a HS HC I'm only asking the stud's parents to be ACs not someone I'm considering cutting, or a fringe player.

Rather interesting opinion there, JJ. Seems as though you might be in this sort of coaching group.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2014
Rather interesting opinion there, JJ. Seems as though you might be in this sort of coaching group.

Just not sure what is the angst you have against the whole situation. OK so there is a clique of parents coaching the team. The AD is OK with it so why not wait and see how it plays out, if they discriminate against really good kids in favor of their daughters' or the team is terrible because of the decision they make then make some hay about. As far as an overall board policy do you want to no coaching your kid policy...and then you have no team because the only ones willing to volunteer are parents?

Finally if you are in the largest classification in the state how is it you only have parent volunteers. I have never seen LARGE schools let parents head coach teams unless they were already the coach and their kid was coming into high school, maybe the ace pitcher or stud HR hitters Dad gets to be an assistant but that's it.

Jul 10, 2014
C-bus Ohio
I think a lot of us are missing a big consideration here: are the AC's paid? If there's school budget money going to parent-coaches, then the district is going to want a policy in place that keeps the general public from freaking out, and the board wants a policy in place so they don't lose their next election. If the AC's are unpaid volunteers, then that's between the coaches, AD, principal, and families, but if they're paid that's a completely different story.

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
Doug, I have to say I agree with your concerns. This seems not only strange but unfair to others. If those spots are taken before tryouts then there was never a chance for another player to show her abilities to gain those positions. Also, having the HC's ear on decisions gives those girls other advantages as well including spots in the order and practice duties.

Cannonball, Any thought on what guidelines may be suggested in this regard to avoid the possible problems you see?

Last edited:

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Its great to see that nepotism is alive and well. I've coached for a very long time but have told my Letter winners that their letter was for the past year and that they are never guaranteed a position. In that way, they knew they'd better be ready to work hard. We have two young ladies who have moved into our district. One was a starter from a school twice our size and led her team in just about every offensive category. She played in a much larger conference. So, let's suppose that one of the dads in the OP has a daughter who plays SS, who now plays SS? Keep in mind that many of you have taken the position that the HC has already determined who is starting. The second young lady was a very good player at a very bad school. She has moved for softball to our district and because her parents heard that I was coaching again. No, I've never talked to them nor know them. However, they know a lot of girls I used to coach. So, is she given a fair chance or should she move back if she players another AC daughter's position? What happens if the AC's dd don't get to start? Do the ACs now pick on the "new girl" in meetings etc. pointing out every flaw she has? Hey, maybe these guys are top notch and the best play. However, I'd bet ...

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Cannonball, Any thought on what guidelines may be suggested in this regard to avoid the possible problems you see?

Any policies are the responsibility of the AD, Principal and School Board. I doubt that a parent walking in with concerns will matter in the least bit to them. These policies would apply to all sports and so, they wouldn't make an exception for one sport. Doug, I'm looking forward to following this for the season. I'm betting all heck is going to break loose when one of these dad ACs jumps a girl that is in direct competition with their daughters. I'm going to bet that there are a couple of dads like me sitting in the stands.

For the comment on these dads are willing to take the time to do this so back off. I've known a lot of dads that were willing to be ACs. There motives were NOT good. One was the pitcher's dad I've mentioned here often. When he was not allowed to be the AC, he still called the game from the stands and tried to control the teams by backstabbing the HC.

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
Any policies are the responsibility of the AD, Principal and School Board. I doubt that a parent walking in with concerns will matter in the least bit to them. These policies would apply to all sports and so, they wouldn't make an exception for one sport. Doug, I'm looking forward to following this for the season. I'm betting all heck is going to break loose when one of these dad ACs jumps a girl that is in direct competition with their daughters. I'm going to bet that there are a couple of dads like me sitting in the stands.

For the comment on these dads are willing to take the time to do this so back off. I've known a lot of dads that were willing to be ACs. There motives were NOT good. One was the pitcher's dad I've mentioned here often. When he was not allowed to be the AC, he still called the game from the stands and tried to control the teams by backstabbing the HC.

The school board is looking at this because there have been many concerns expressed in this regard across many of the sports in the district. This isn't just a softball issue.

Parent motives as head or assistant coaches are not always pure, and we shouldn't just assume they are pure. Thus, Cannonball, I think your point that "Their motives were NOT (always) good." is spot on!

Nonetheless, parent coaching in softball is vital, particularly in rec and travel ball and in areas were there the availability of good non-parent types with good knowledge is thin. Further, a parent having good knowledge/experience isn't sufficient and does not necessarily mean intentions are pure.

Last edited:

JJS

Jan 9, 2015

No I'm not Doug. Its sad that you are personally so jaded over this situation that you read that from what I wrote.

My DD's school has all paid coaches that are teachers within the school district. No parents are EVER allowed on the field, practice or otherwise. If a station needs manned, then the girls take turns doing it. First, I'm not sure what the need is of 4 assistant coaches at the HS level are. Second, if you don't trust the head coach and AD, then get them fired or don't let your daughter play. Third, who cares? It is just high school softball. I've talked to many college coaches that say that they will not attend a HS game. My DD plays HS ball to be a part of the school and hang out with her friends. She plays summer ball to kick butt and quench the thirst for winning. HS ball is just a different animal. Take it(or don't) for what it is worth.

JJS

Jan 9, 2015
The school board is looking at this because there have been many concerns expressed across most of the sports in the district. This isn't just a softball issue.

Parent motives as head or assistant coaches are not always pure, and we shouldn't just assume they are pure. Thus, I think your point that "Their motives were NOT (always) good."

I'm still more than a little lost. Are the head coaches only staying as long as their daughters are in school, or is the HC a permanent fixture, but the AC change every few years? Thanks in advance for the clarification.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rosie