Purpose of High school sport

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
I did add D1.... Also, 95%+ of those 20,000 schools have no chance of winning a state title, with overall talent a big reason, but pitching especially.

Illinois has 587 team entered in the playoffs. 4 of them will win a state title (.007%). Especially in the bigger classes (3A and 4A), it's a pretty safe bet that the winner features a pitcher committed to a school we have all heard of.

I'll admit I don't follow the smaller schools as much. It's likely different for them (or it's even more dominated by the rare occasion of having an ace, I don't know?)

Do you know what made the guy leave the coach's meeting 5 minutes in?

I'm curious if they knew they weren't good enough, or what.
He said he wasn't going to let me embarrass him with these questions about his knowledge of the game. The point of the "test" was to see how I could help each coach. The truth is, he would not have lasted much more than a week. The superintendent was tired of losing. When he hired me, he also fired a bunch of coaches and hired new coaches. As I have posted on this site, I was told that I had one year to win and that was in both girl's basketball HC and the baseball HC.

Jan 25, 2022
He said he wasn't going to let me embarrass him with these questions about his knowledge of the game. The point of the "test" was to see how I could help each coach. The truth is, he would not have lasted much more than a week. The superintendent was tired of losing. When he hired me, he also fired a bunch of coaches and hired new coaches. As I have posted on this site, I was told that I had one year to win and that was in both girl's basketball HC and the baseball HC.

Is it normal for a school to hire a new head coach but keep the previous assistants?

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Is it normal for a school to hire a new head coach but keep the previous assistants?
My situation was not normal. I do think that it is typical for schools to keep the same coaches since most schools depend upon teachers in their system. I took the one coach who I knew but who previously was the Freshman Coach and made him my assistant. The JV coach remained the same but then I cleaned house. By the next year, all of my staff was hand-picked by me.

May 29, 2015

I spent many years in a career where I was "the cleaner." I hired lots of people and I fired lots of people. I never had to fire anybody I hired. The way you speak, you already took that as your role and you wanted that to be known.

I would work on the difference between tests and assessments. Commonly confused. Tests are meant to match people against an ideal and get rid of them. Assessments tell you why you should keep them and what to work on.

I also wouldn't waltz in and tell them you need to know what you have to do to help them. It is a mutual path. But then, it sounds like that was why you were sent in. The superintendent should know "winning" doesn't come from a revolving door of coaches. He should be working on building a program if that is what he wants.

Just being snippy because my daughters played through a school like that and it was not good for them. Very few coaches ever got a second year, but the administration and board couldn't figure out why they couldn't win in any sports. My oldest daughter's volleyball team went to state her 7th grade year, but then never even put together a winning season after that. The revolving door of coaches ran her out of the game and cost her the opportunity to play in college (she played soccer in college instead).

It sounds as if you have good credentials and are there for the long-haul. Hopefully it works out.

Last edited:

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
I spent many years in a career where I was "the cleaner." I hired lots of people and I fired lots of people. I never had to fire anybody I hired. The way you speak, you already took that as your role and you wanted that to be known.

I would work on the difference between tests and assessments. Commonly confused. Tests are meant to match people against an ideal and get rid of them. Assessments tell you why you should keep them and what to work on.

I also wouldn't waltz in and tell them you need to know what you have to do to help them. It is a mutual path. But then, it sounds like that was why you were sent in. The superintendent should know "winning" doesn't come from a revolving door of coaches. He should be working on building a program if that is what he wants.

Just being snippy because my daughters played through a school like that and it was not good for them. Very few coaches ever got a second year, but the administration and board couldn't figure out why they couldn't win in any sports. My oldest daughter's volleyball team went to state her 7th grade year, but then never even put together a winning season after that. The revolving door of coaches ran her out of the game and cost her the opportunity to play in college (she played soccer in college instead).

It sounds as if you have good credentials and are there for the long-haul. Hopefully it works out.
I appreciate your honesty. Deleted the rest of the response.

Last edited:
May 27, 2022
Basic Purpose - if your kids cover these, it should be a good season/experience
- Have Fun
- Work Hard
- Get Better

Advanced Purpose - added benefit if you're team is good enough to get to this
- Learn to compete at a high level
- Deal with the pressure of expectations (both in victory and defeat)
- Work on your skill to the point of excellence

There is a foundation for which the Basic Purposes are meant to grow from - and some kids/teams will never move beyond it. There is a different mind set to the Advanced Purpose that, IMO, applies to select areas of life.

I am pleased that my kids got to experience both through their many activities. It allowed them to be well rounded without the extra investment needed while also knowing the amount work and rewards that come with pursuing excellence.
- Participation in the Musical, playing basketball: Basic
- Playing Softball, Vocal All-State Audition: Advanced

Aug 1, 2019
MN
Sometimes we're looking for anyone. Low pay, late nights, sacrificing family/personal time, work schedule conflicts, clueless parents complaining, crappy weather, no prestige, uncomfortable and smelly bus rides, etc. Having a pulse is the first qualification.

A revolving door only keeps going when there are more people to enter.

Jun 8, 2016
Low pay, late nights, sacrificing family/personal time, work schedule conflicts, clueless parents complaining, crappy weather, no prestige, uncomfortable and smelly bus rides, etc. Having a pulse is the first qualification.
That would make a hell of a want ad....where do I sign up!!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles