Purpose of High school sport

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
My situation was not normal. I do think that it is typical for schools to keep the same coaches since most schools depend upon teachers in their system. I took the one coach who I knew but who previously was the Freshman Coach and made him my assistant. The JV coach remained the same but then I cleaned house. By the next year, all of my staff was hand-picked by me.
When you coached HS were you loyal to upper classmen. IOW, If a stud freshman comes into the program does she take the starting position away form the junior or senior player who has been starting in that position for a couple of years? Do you let the senior finish her final year as a starter and just give the freshman a spot start here and there?

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
When you coached HS were you loyal to upper classmen. IOW, If a stud freshman comes into the program does she take the starting position away form the junior or senior player who has been starting in that position for a couple of years? Do you let the senior finish her final year as a starter and just give the freshman a spot start here and there?
The best played regardless of year in school. I made it clear every year at the beginning and then during each sport's banquet that a letter for a sport was for that past year. The next year, all bets are off and everyone earns their position on the field. That might not be popular with many but I never played politics and I did what I thought was best for the program. The truth is, most of the seniors who came out held their spots though a few each year did not. My dd was a perfect example in softball. She was better than the seniors and led the team in wins in the circle and almost every offensive category. She was all everything here in post-season awards. She beat out a senior. I was not the HC that year nor was I an assistant. That was what the previous HC to me did as well.

In baseball, for a freshman to start, they had to be seriously good. In my baseball program, we had 70 - 90 kids come out each year to constitute 3 teams. The seniors each year were getting major interest from very good collegiate programs. Still, each year, one freshman earned a starting position. Each of those freshmen went on to play high-level college ball and/or professionally.

Edited to add:

Keep in mind that the school I went to made it clear to all of the new coaches, and still does make it clear, that if they do not win, they will be replaced. Our conference has an "All Sports Trophy." Our administration expects to win that each year.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
In baseball, for a freshman to start, they had to be seriously good. In my baseball program, we had 70 - 90 kids come out each year to constitute 3 teams. The seniors each year were getting major interest from very good collegiate programs. Still, each year, one freshman earned a starting position. Each of those freshmen went on to play high-level college ball and/or professionally.
The physical differences in boys in HS is often huge from freshmen year to Sr year. Not so much with girls. The only kid who started in any sport as a freshmen when I was there ended up playing in the NBA.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles