Public School District Parent Coach Policy

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 14, 2011
I'm not a HS daddy coach, but I have been an assistant coach on my DD's TB team when she was younger and I coach another team which she is not on. I would never ever want to coach my DD's HS team... simply because its not worth the headache and if I did, my DD would likely be treated unfairly by me just so no one would question favoritism. I greatly prefer not coaching her teams and just complaining in the outfield with the other parents.

I guess the ideal policy would be to have no parent coaches at the Varsity/JV level, but I don't think there can be one universal policy for all districts. It really should be whatever is in the best interest of the local student-athlete population. Some districts need parent coaches to survive. Some don't.

Personally I would prefer a HS head coach and assistants to not have a child on the team for the obvious reasons. But I can see scenarios in more rural or less funded areas where it just isn't possible to find qualified volunteer or paid coaches. Or scenarios where an experienced professional coach (former college or HS coach) where they might be the best candidate and happens to have a child at that age and is willing to coach the HS team.

I read an article online where one district is not allowing this practice of parent coached HS teams with exceptions for for those "determined to be of vital existence to the program". However that is interpreted I guess is up to them. But to me it reads as though their first choice really shouldn't be parents and only if there was no other choice, ie the program would disappear without them.

Excerpt...
"The policy would make the high school principal responsible for coordinating volunteers to support programs. The policy says that principals "should not assign volunteer parents of student athletes ... to coaching responsibilities at the varsity or junior varsity level within the program in which their son or daughter is participating." The principal can request an exemption, however, if the parent coach is "determined to be vital to the existence of the program."

May 13, 2012
Coach should be best qualified and meet the HS standard/requirements. If you put in any policy it could disqualify the best candidate either way. We have a new HS coach this year so the jury is still out on HC and AC, both teachers. Two non parent and non paid helpers. One helper is trying to get into coaching and coaches anytime they get a chance to learn. The other helper is first yr.

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2013
Would you care to let us know if you are a daddy coach in a high school program? If you are, I can understand why you might not see a possible conflict of interest here.

No, I am not. I do have a daughter that was on a team where the coach had 2 daughters and neice on the team. 1 daughter played, 1 didn't, the neice played. His assistant coach was his brother and another guy. I do coach my own TB team and they do have a TB team like most top 10 teams. DD doesn't play for them.
If the hiring process is thorough and you have faith in that process, let the coach and the AD make the decisions for the team. We were 3rd in State this year and the two girls that had dad's coaching deserved their position, and their All State selection.

Last edited:
May 30, 2013
Binghamton, NY
Our school district has a policy of "preference toward district employees" for coaching vacancies to be filled.
But our current head coaching staffing across the district is a mix of district employees, teachers from neighboring districts, and others from outside the schools.
Our softball program is head-coached by a non-district employee parent, with non-district employee parent assistants.
And a vast majority of our varsity roster plays on the same travel team coached by the same coach.

Our long-time varsity baseball coach will probably be retiring in a year or two, and it is widely assumed that our current varsity softball coach is likely to shift to baseball.
(he is an ex-MLB pro...)
Will be interesting to see how the varsity softball coach selection goes...

Part of the issue being discussed is that aside from Football, Basketball, and Baseball; most other sports can see a lot of turnover in coaching.
With regard to softball, I would say that 95% of teams have parent coaches from t-ball up to about 18U travel and High school.
It's just pretty rare to find a coach without a kid on the roster at the younger ages, in our sport.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
There are a lot of really good TB coaches who coach their DD and there are a lot of crappy TB coaches who coach their DD, so it is a crap shoot at best. There will always be parent coaches because they are usually the only ones who will do it for free. Parents who have not coached TB before have no idea how much time and effort goes into the endeavor. Not only do you have the actual practice time, coaches do most of the planning, and take phone calls from parents with rose colored glasses.

There will always be parents who complain that their DD got screwed by paid or parent coaches because of "politics". HS coaches try to balance underclassmen vs. upperclassmen. Every freshman parent thinks their DD should be on varsity, but if all of the freshmen make varsity, who is going to play JV?

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
I am not sure how you put a policy in place specifically because a potential coach has a DD on the team or that all the official coaches have blood relatives playing for the team.

Lets face it, those 4 players were going to start no matter what official position on the team the parents may hold as long as this HC was in place. If anyone seriously thinks those 4 girls weren't starting because one of their parents wasn't given a AC position, then they are delusional. Welcome to the world - sometimes it isn't fair.

All I can think of is ensuring that coaches are appropriately background checked and have some level of coaching certification/experience which justifies them being part of a school coaching staff over other candidates. Our district does favor school employees for head coaching positions when they are qualified to do so, but beyond that there is really nothing.

The AD is probably THRILLED there are 4 people willing to help coach the softball team.

Jul 10, 2014
C-bus Ohio
It is a recurring problem due to a complacent AD. The board has pushed it to the principal level, but has inquired what a good policy in this regard would look like. Maybe it's more guidelines for ADs to follow to keep them from getting complacent in this regard.

The policy says that principals "should not assign volunteer parents of student athletes ... to coaching responsibilities at the varsity or junior varsity level within the program in which their son or daughter is participating." The principal can request an exemption...

I think this makes sense, especially the word "should." An open guideline that tells the principals the practice is frowned upon, but that the principal has final say and is ultimately responsible.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I am getting frustrated reading this whole thing.

I would keep it at an AD level.

I know where the principal is and their bosses if I have a problem. Like the AD I am sure they do not care.

I would just try to word it that the Teams are set before volunteers are accepted. Freshmen, JC, etc. Teams probably would welcome the help too.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
TRUE! However, as the number of daddy coaches increases, the odds of the rose-colored classes effect among/between them intensifies greatly. It's one thing for this to exist in a private softball organization. It's quite another for it to be allowed in a public school sports program.

Doug, I have to say I agree with your concerns. This seems not only strange but unfair to others. If those spots are taken before tryouts then there was never a chance for another player to show her abilities to gain those positions. Also, having the HC's ear on decisions gives those girls other advantages as well including spots in the order and practice duties.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors