Purpose of High school sport

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 4, 2019
Texas
I saw a post earlier in the year regarding the purpose of high school varsity sport...win state. Play your strong players. Does anyone have a copy of that post?
This was my daughters first yr playing varsity in public school (sophomore pitcher) and it was a culture shock to say the least.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
I been fortunate to help win a couple of state championships and a state runner-up as an AC. I have to say that yes, that is one goal. However, that isn't the only goal and, in fact, is fool's gold, for so many if that is their only goal. For me, when I became a HC, I wanted to win state but I also had to win conference, regional, sectionals and super-sectionals to get there. In order to do that, as a HC, I had to realize that I had to build a program and not just coach a team. Therefore, an overriding goal was to develop a program that all in my area recognized. I think that we did that. If you are going to build a program, you had better allow for those players you will need in the future to gain experience on the varsity. You had better recognize that drill work, practice plans, strategies, and coaching expectations for both players and coaches all have to be established and consistent.

Apr 1, 2017
In terms of wins/losses goals, our school puts a lot of emphasis on conference games. Everyone wants to make a run in the playoffs and win state, but let's face it, if a team doesn't have that D1/P5 pitcher, it's likely not happening.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
I saw a post earlier in the year regarding the purpose of high school varsity sport...win state. Play your strong players. Does anyone have a copy of that post?
This was my daughters first yr playing varsity in public school (sophomore pitcher) and it was a culture shock to say the least.

The goal might be to win state. That shouldn't be the purpose.

Aug 1, 2019
MN
...In order to do that, as a HC, I had to realize that I had to build a program and not just coach a team... You had better recognize that drill work, practice plans, strategies, and coaching expectations for both players and coaches all have to be established and consistent....
Did you lay out expectations for your coaches at the younger levels how they should develop the players? Skills they should be proficient at, style of play they should be able to execute, etc?

Oct 4, 2018

Your daughter didn't play much?

Oct 4, 2018
In terms of wins/losses goals, our school puts a lot of emphasis on conference games. Everyone wants to make a run in the playoffs and win state, but let's face it, if a team doesn't have that D1/P5 pitcher, it's likely not happening.

Pitching is so crazy important. I too have noticed it's even more important in school ball than travel. In travel, you can more easily field studs in every other position and make up for not having top pitching.

Jun 8, 2016
Pitching is so crazy important. I too have noticed it's even more important in school ball than travel. In travel, you can more easily field studs in every other position and make up for not having top pitching.
A team full of position player studs won't stay "studless" at pitcher for very long..

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles