Public School District Parent Coach Policy

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
quincy, I hope you were missing blue font. LOL I was an AC on BB's TB team for a very long time. I insisted that if I was, I never made decisions about my kid. So, the HC determined where she hit in the lineup, where she played and what other responsibilities she had. Take carrying game equipment on the road or field cleanup at home. So, the coaches kids get the eas stuff and everyone else gets the hard. The ACs kids hit in the top of the lineup and everyone else battles for the last few spots. When they pick numbers, the AC's kids get the pick first. When it comes to media attention, the ACs kids get the majority of that.

Don't get me wrong, I see where maybe one AC that is a parent is not bad. When it is four then that is a major problem as I see it. Think of the climate of the team. Every time one of these girls dislikes something someone else does, they run to daddy. What about the perception that no kids in the program can have a fair chance to earn a position until these girls graduate. How many kids will this run off?

Mar 26, 2013
In my mind, this is only a matter for the school board when the AD isn't keeping this kind of thing under control.
The principal should have primary responsibility for overseeing the AD. The school board can lay down policies and procedures, however they should only be involved in a specific case if the AD and principal have already tried to resolve it.

It is a recurring problem due to a complacent AD. The board has pushed it to the principal level, but has inquired what a good policy in this regard would look like. Maybe it's more guidelines for ADs to follow to keep them from getting complacent in this regard.
I think you're on the right track with guidelines. JMHO, it is impossible to lay down strict policies that prevent abuses without also excluding good coaches. Policies should focus on the outcome you want (e.g. unbiased evaluations and team management) rather than try to dictate how they will be achieved. There should also be defined procedures for resolving grievances against the coach(es).

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
I see where maybe one AC that is a parent is not bad. When it is four then that is a major problem as I see it. Think of the climate of the team. Every time one of these girls dislikes something someone else does, they run to daddy. What about the perception that no kids in the program can have a fair chance to earn a position until these girls graduate. How many kids will this run off?

Though not always the case, as the number of daddy coaches in a high school softball program increases, especially from a single travel-ball team, the greater the likelihood of the feeling inequality in opportunity/access across all players due to implicit "connection" classifications. Players who have the "connection" of having a parent among a group of parent coaches, particularly a group of parent coaches from a single travel ball team, may be treated as the first-class players, often guaranteed starting positions, contrary to a claim that all position are open. Second-class players may be those who also play in the same travel-ball organization, but don’t have a parent coaching in that organization. Lastly, the third-class players, regardless of their talent, may be the players who didn't play on the same travel-ball team. They may be seen as a threat, particularly to first class players (i.e., they may actually be better in the position than the daddy coach's kid). This would, as cannonball suggested, run some potentially good players off. And, unlike travel ball, there would be no alternative to play the sport. At least not in high school.

I see this scenario as far more likely than far-fetched with multiple parent coaches, particularly when those parent coaches are from a single travel-ball team.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2009
Don't get me wrong, I see where maybe one AC that is a parent is not bad. When it is four then that is a major problem as I see it. Think of the climate of the team.

Especially when they are all from the same travel team. Speaking in general, that is a huge RED flag in my opinion. These coaches may be different. One can only hope. Maybe Doug can shed some light about them.

Doug never did say what size the school is and the setting. Big school? Urban? Rural? Small school? Suburban?

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Doug, I have to say I agree with your concerns. This seems not only strange but unfair to others. If those spots are taken before tryouts then there was never a chance for another player to show her abilities to gain those positions.

Please, those spots were taken already. If the HC is willing to have their parents as a Assistant Coach, then I can guarantee in the HC's mind that those girls were already starting or at least on the team. Just because some policy decides that the parents can't be an AC under some regulation or policy will not change that.

We will have 40 girls locally turn up for the HS tryouts in about 2 weeks. 28 of them play travel and a few of the others used to. I can name 6 non-pitching starters right now. I can guess which 7 players are really vying for the final 2 spots. I know who the top 2 pitchers will be on varsity and that 4 girls are really going for 1 spot pitching position (which I suspect will end up going to a power hitter who can pitch).

I am not involved in coaching this team BTW and there are no parents on the coaching staff either, but most spots are already taken one way or another. No different for turning up for tryouts for most established travel teams.

Advice for writing a policy for the school board:

"The school AD in conjunction with the school Principal have final say in coaching positions for school teams and are required to ensure that the coaches meet the appropriate certification/background and experience criteria to coach the team they have been employed to."

I see no need for the district board to get involved unless something truly illegal is happening - and that is probably more on the AD/Principal than on the coaches themselves (unless of course they are the ones doing something illegal)

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2014
From a district standpoint I would think they have a teacher/employee preference policy most that I have been around do and that is it. If there are no Teachers that apply a job ad is put out there and people are free to apply and interview with the AD for the ONE paid (not much) HC job, without being able to accept parents many smaller programs would fold. After that the HC can choose assistants as long as they pass a background check. I don't think this is really rocket science, this is the ADs job. Sure it may seem unfair but then again that is life...if anything Crazy happens then it is the HC (paid employee) and AD (the boss) who are accountable. and by Crazy I don't mean your DD sitting the bench or not making Varsity...how many stories have we heard on this board about the #1 Pitcher on a 16U travel team that is sitting on JV behind someone whose clock she regularly cleans come TB season. I know HS is different because you can't quit and find another team but we have also heard many stories of patience and character building of girls who stick it out on their HS team regardless of politics.

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
Especially when they are all from the same travel team. Speaking in general, that is a huge RED flag in my opinion. These coaches may be different. One can only hope. Maybe Doug can shed some light about them.

Doug never did say what size the school is and the setting. Big school? Urban? Rural? Small school? Suburban?

Largest classification in the state.

Oh, I think these dads ARE qualified. However, it is very obviously a "clique."

JJS

Jan 9, 2015

Who cares if it's a clique if they are donating time and it works? If they were asked to be ACs then their kids were already in the mix to be the stars. If I'm a HS HC I'm only asking the stud's parents to be ACs not someone I'm considering cutting, or a fringe player.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida

And is it going to be any different if they are not AC's? Apart from this forcing someone whose kid who didn't make the team or are sitting on the bench having to find something different to complain about, is stopping them being AC's going to change who is going to make the team or play in any way?

Jun 1, 2013
The players are probably good because of their parents, not in spite of. Again, you have an AD and a coach that makes decisions. If you are gonna pass rules because you don't trust their judgement then fire them, save the district money and let the board coach. How is it that the board or anyone else think they know the best player for a certain position? The coach is with them on the field, not the board. In this situation you have to trust your coach and AD to do their job. No one will ever be happy and there will always be complaints about favoritism, the coach will be in a no win situation with the board. Even if the other coaches are not out there and the girls get the position you are still in the same situation. Pick a battle you can win, this isn't it from any standpoint.