Proven long toss drills for catchers

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 3, 2011
Depends On The Day
A very successful college coach suggested to my DD that she use 3 weighted balls in a routine and repeat regularly. Throwing the heavier ball 10-12 times at about 60 to 80 feet. Then use the lightest ball throwing the same reps and distance, then finish with the regular weighted ball for the same duration and distance. Repeat drill a few times a week and should help build arm strength and velocity.

hen

Dec 1, 2010
Hen. Do they get into the mechanics of the throw in the dvd? Is the dvd worth the money, considering you can get like 10 min exerpts of it on youtube?

I haven't seen the youtube clips but the dvd does go into good detail specifically how he wants to long toss and the progression. It's not simply working back and letting it rip every time. As far as throwing mechanics, I don't recall him going into details very much. I haven't looked at it in a while, but I don't recall any aha moments. I'm sure there are solid cues, but I don't recall much technical depth.

As far as money's worth, I mainly got it so I could show the girls how to do the bands and long toss routine. Unfortunately I keep getting caught up in other things and neglect showing them this... As we all know, showing how to do something often rings clearer than us explaining.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
A very successful college coach suggested to my DD that she use 3 weighted balls in a routine and repeat regularly. Throwing the heavier ball 10-12 times at about 60 to 80 feet. Then use the lightest ball throwing the same reps and distance, then finish with the regular weighted ball for the same duration and distance. Repeat drill a few times a week and should help build arm strength and velocity.

Regardless of who the coach was, this approach scares me. I'd need to see a lot of evidence from the sports medicine and kinesiology experts to even consider long toss with a weighted ball.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Regardless of who the coach was, this approach scares me. I'd need to see a lot of evidence from the sports medicine and kinesiology experts to even consider long toss with a weighted ball.

I just pulled the trigger yesterday and ordered an 8oz and a 5 oz ball. I saw whats his name on fastpitch tv podcast talking about the success they had using a weighted ball. He said they used a 12 oz ball, I thought that was a little much. The people I have heard from thAt are for using slightly weighted balls have a good point in that there was no science behind deciding the current 6.8 oz ball. We are going to start slow with it. The recommendation I was told was 10 throws with weighted ball at 75%, 10 underweighted at 100%, and 10 reg ball at 100%, repeat.

Wait, I think it was a 9oz ball I ordered.

May 1, 2011
Not sure as a specific program that we've used (unless I came across it by accident...kinda like those monkees that wrote the Shakespearean Sonnet), but I have noticed a DRASTIC change in arm strength with DD just by doing LIMITED long toss at the end of warm-ups. Kind of a "alright, move it back 10" kinda thing. 2-3 months ago, throws down to second had a little loop in them, and wasn't throwing many girls out at all (unless at 3rd). Yesterday threw out 3 at second, 2 at third, and would've had a couple more at second (1 was a HORRIBLE CALL, and the other was dropped by SS as she applied the tag). Throws have a much lower trajectory and aren't one-hopping near as much as they were. I'm sure there are PROVEN techniques and programs, but in regards to a weighted ball, not planning on putting one in my 9 year old's hand quite yet.

Jan 20, 2011
"Yesterday threw out 3 at second, 2 at third, and would've had a couple more at second (1 was a HORRIBLE CALL, and the other was dropped by SS as she applied the tag). Throws have a much lower trajectory and aren't one-hopping near as much as they were."

If the catcher is throwing out 5+ girls I have to ask what the opposing coach was thinking in trying to continue to steal. Usually you throw the first girl out with a strong throw down to any base and that will stop the running. Sounds like the other coach was not very good.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
"Yesterday threw out 3 at second, 2 at third, and would've had a couple more at second (1 was a HORRIBLE CALL, and the other was dropped by SS as she applied the tag). Throws have a much lower trajectory and aren't one-hopping near as much as they were."

If the catcher is throwing out 5+ girls I have to ask what the opposing coach was thinking in trying to continue to steal. Usually you throw the first girl out with a strong throw down to any base and that will stop the running. Sounds like the other coach was not very good.

Just thinking the same thing. If you get the first one that usually stops all but the fastest runners from being sent. Could have been a rec game, I do some pretty stupid stuff in rec to keep things exciting.

May 30, 2012
Agree with Greenmonsters. Megan Willis said she long tosses plate, to cf fence. Then practice the throw to 2nd as another drill. The long toss serves the purpose of arm strengthening and health. Then spend more time on the throw down mechanics separate.

My dauther took lessons from Megan here in Austin. I can tell you she really does stress long toss but we never went to 200 feet. 150 is probably the most we went to. We would start at 20 then move back in 10 foot increments.

I really want to stress this point though. Megan ALWAYS wanted an arc on the ball when it was thrown. Rainbow is the term she used. It didn't have to be a can of corn but just make sure you threw it on an arc. She said this would protect the shoulder from injury.

90% of what Megan taught us was technique to prevent injury. Throwing motion, protecting the throwing hand, and catching with the glove hand in the right way to prevent a broken thumb on the glove hand.

May 1, 2011
Those were multiple games guys. She didn't throw out 5 in one game. This past weekend in Oklahoma, in our first bracket game, first batter walked, and then DD threw her out trying to steal by a pretty good margin. They didn't attempt another one the rest of the game, and the team we played after that had coaches in the stands, and they didn't attempt a steal either. Going to get some video of her on here soon. Her footwork has improved leaps and bounds, and she's really getting rid of it quick.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06