Long Toss

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 23, 2015
My DD would do it every time she laced up her cleats. It was part of her warmup for practices and games. Contributed significantly to her velocity.
Perfect answer. It needs to be second nature then you brain forgets the stupidity.

. 625 if you want to share what done properly means? I've seen the videos from J bands on long toss but that's about it.
I'm not familiar with J bands but here goes. The angle constantly changes, so there's nothing certain there.

You need to throw the ball like you're throwing to mom or dad in the backyard. Smooth and over the top. Just laying it in there. If it bounces in front of the other player who cares. The object is to keep p that ball on line as simply as possible. Take a few throws then a step or to back. You have to find the point where fatigue starts to build.

Once she's comfortable and her endurance builds have her do a pull down from her longest point. Pull down is just a rocket. Again all you care about is the ball being on line. Skipping or 10 bounces means nothing in pull down

Do it regularly and often again it's about endurance

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
This is DD's old coach in 14U and first 2 years of 18U. The player is his 17 YO sister. I should note that every OF on that team could hit home plate from the RF fence. Coaches often held kids at first when they'd see that in warmup. LOL.
Long toss

May 4, 2020
I’ve started doing long toss with one of my older students . She 16 and we’re looking to increase speed. I‘ve never done long toss with A students before. How many times per week is safe to throw? Any special instructions I should be giving her? What kind of speed increase is possible. Anyone have a softball distance chart equivalent to speed like the baseball one I’ve seen? Thanks.
Twice a week should do it. Not on consecutive days. Start with regular throws and keep stepping back.
We do long toss and then transition into “outfield” throws where you take three quick steps with good knee and back bend and let the arm hang down by your side for a nice big arm circle. Throw it as far as you can for a few throws and then walk it back in.

Feb 15, 2017
Also 1 mph per 5 ft is way off. Its about 3 to 3.25 feet per mph

I think to clarify...its not a 1:1 ratio. I’ve clocked and measured a lot and have flags in my yard for long toss. Its a diminishing returns curve:

75’=45 mph
Every 5 feet past that is 1mph. Its pretty well spot on within 1 mph of my pocket radar. Every time.

So
75’=45mph. 1.67:1
150’= 60mph 2.5:1

Definitely can’t just say x feet = x mph.

I hadn’t clocked DD in quite a while but I knew from long toss when she got it to the 150’ flag a couple times she had to be close to 60. Next lesson - sure enough....hit a 60 once. I probably wouldn’t have purchased my pocket radar had I known about the hillbilly poor mans radar called long toss :)

May 23, 2015
Definitely can’t just say x feet = x mph

Sure you can. The rate a ball decelerates is static. There are no variables in the equation. Enviromental variables are temperature, altitude, humidity.... A ball at 6000ft alt will fly further than at sea level. Same angle different speeds thrown at the same time will travel known distances

Speed is constant as well. The millisecond the ball leaves the fingertips it starts deceleration and gravity starts pulling it down.

May 23, 2015
Sorry to hijack the tread with a non contributing reply but...
Long toss sucks! My catcher DD wanted to get a little work in over the weekend and we walked to the park. I long tossed my shoulder into much pain. Getting old sucks!:ROFLMAO:
Throw regularly pops. You cant let your daughter beat you. Ill throw my arm out of socket to win. Theyre very close to me now

May 16, 2019
When my student started long toss she was about 135 feet and 58mph on the pocket radar.

She now at 147 ft. When she reaches 150 ill get the pocket radar out again. Thanks for all the input. JJ take care that shoulder

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28