Long Toss

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 19, 2009
Southern California
I’ve started doing long toss with one of my older students . She 16 and we’re looking to increase speed. I‘ve never done long toss with A students before. How many times per week is safe to throw? Any special instructions I should be giving her? What kind of speed increase is possible. Anyone have a softball distance chart equivalent to speed like the baseball one I’ve seen? Thanks.

May 23, 2015
Long toss isn't designed to increase velocity its an endurance event. It teaches the body and mind accuracy and form. The speed comes from a player unlocking and having the confidence to throw anywhere at anytime instead of holding back

Make sure its done properly, most don't

Feb 10, 2018
NoVA
With long toss, I would say that once and no more than twice a week would be enough. Would not recommend it on consecutive days or either the day before or day after a game. That is, the girl’s body needs time to recover because it can be pretty taxing.

When I do this with my DD, it usually helps to have fence or a back stop that gives them a visual for what they are trying to throw over. You want them to try and throw the ball as high and as far as possible. We’ve done it where my daughter just starts her pitching motion from the given distance or you can have them do a two or three step walk in to generate some more energy.

I have my daughter do her warm up progressions. Then I have her throw one from 43’ and then walk back a few steps. Every time that she either hits the backstop clean or goes over the fence clean, I let her walk back some more. Once you get past 75’, I have the distances measured out and set a marker there. When she reaches a distance that is at the edge of her ability to hit the back stop, I’ve learned to only give her a few chances to hit it. I would suggest only giving her 3-5 misses at her outer distance and then having her start walking back in. They’ll very likely want to keep trying, but I think it becomes counterproductive and very taxing.

Not sure who figured out the math (props to them), but I have found this to be highly accurate (+/- 1 mph) when cross-checked with a Pocket Radar:

75’=45 mph
100’=50 mph
125’=55 mph
150’=60 mph
175’=65 mph

As you can see, every 5’ is the equivalent of about 1 mph

May 16, 2019
Since no games or significant practices are scheduled we decided to implement a long toss program with the intention of gaining speed. We have been throwing 3 days a week Monday Wed. Friday. 625 if you want to share what done properly means? I've seen the videos from J bands on long toss but that's about it.

May 16, 2019
With long toss, I would say that once and no more than twice a week would be enough. Would not recommend it on consecutive days or either the day before or day after a game. That is, the girl’s body needs time to recover because it can be pretty taxing.

When I do this with my DD, it usually helps to have fence or a back stop that gives them a visual for what they are trying to throw over. You want them to try and throw the ball as high and as far as possible. We’ve done it where my daughter just starts her pitching motion from the given distance or you can have them do a two or three step walk in to generate some more energy.

I have my daughter do her warm up progressions. Then I have her throw one from 43’ and then walk back a few steps. Every time that she either hits the backstop clean or goes over the fence clean, I let her walk back some more. Once you get past 75’, I have the distances measured out and set a marker there. When she reaches a distance that is at the edge of her ability to hit the back stop, I’ve learned to only give her a few chances to hit it. I would suggest only giving her 3-5 misses at her outer distance and then having her start walking back in. They’ll very likely want to keep trying, but I think it becomes counterproductive and very taxing.

Not sure who figured out the math (props to them), but I have found this to be highly accurate (+/- 1 mph) when cross-checked with a Pocket Radar:

75’=45 mph
100’=50 mph
125’=55 mph
150’=60 mph
175’=65 mph

As you can see, every 5’ is the equivalent of about 1 mph

This chart coincides with where she is at. We started about 2 weeks ago at 58MPH and 135 Feet. Shes now at 147 feet. I'm waiting until she reaches 150 feet before measuring her pitching speed again

Oct 2, 2018
Georgia
My DD would do it every time she laced up her cleats. It was part of her warmup for practices and games. Contributed significantly to her velocity.

So she did long toss after after warm? Long toss for distance, then walk back in to pitching distance? Did she long toss with Normal release or release over backstop type?

Feb 10, 2018
NoVA
My DD would do it every time she laced up her cleats. It was part of her warmup for practices and games. Contributed significantly to her velocity.
From what age did she start doing that? Just wondering if you think a girl should be at a certain level of physical maturity before running that sort of program or has it been your experience that it doesn’t really matter?

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812