Long Toss

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 16, 2019
Thanks for the input. Wishing her a speedy recovery and return to playing. Did her pitch speed coincide with her distance. Curious , her max pitch speed and max long toss, if you don't mind sharing.

Feb 15, 2017
Thanks for the input. Wishing her a speedy recovery and return to playing. Did her pitch speed coincide with her distance. Curious , her max pitch speed and max long toss, if you don't mind sharing.
She was throwing around 53 in game (drop and fastball) before the break for Covid. After the break 57-58 but not consistent. During the break worked on speed drills like how many pitches in a minute but no long toss, and getting a faster stride off the mound. I had my own injury (subscap tear from arthritis in throwing shoulder) so I wasn't forcing the long toss as I couldn't catch her. Our goal was to pick up 1 MPH per month so she'd be at 60 heading into 14u.

The challenge is she got into some bad habits in form is part of the reason for the growth plate issue along with the immaturity of her body still. Doc says she has a lot of growth left in her. (Doc says arm about 75% strength so form issue could be from trying to overthrow to hit speed and the reason consistancy in spot and speed weren't there)
She's week one into therapy after two weeks immobilized and they are thinking four to six weeks of therapy before throwing again.

As far as actual distance I don't offhand but used to work as far back as she could throw without bouncing the ball. If I recall the distances seem about right that were posted. The one thing we focused on was same release point just more back leg bend and tilt. I can tell you that her teammate which used to throw harder than her threw long toss further but as she's caught up in speed she can throw long toss just a bit further now.

A few years ago she went to Alabama's camp and Alexis Osorio stressed long toss and she would long toss all of her spins.

We were just starting to work on a riseball spin as she has always had great spin for her age and will continue to work that into long toss when she's back.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

May 16, 2019
On the day we were going to clock her, the weather was 109 degrees. After weights we both were feeling the effects of the heat.

It's been 2 weeks since we worked out because of schedule conflicts and school starting. We plan to clock her next time we work out.

Jul 8, 2020
I was doing this with my DD before taking a breaking end of July. It is pretty close from what we were getting. I think maybe a 1-2 MPH slower than what would calc. That could have been a variety of things though.

Jun 8, 2016
Sure you can. The rate a ball decelerates is static. There are no variables in the equation. Enviromental variables are temperature, altitude, humidity.... A ball at 6000ft alt will fly further than at sea level. Same angle different speeds thrown at the same time will travel known distances

Speed is constant as well. The millisecond the ball leaves the fingertips it starts deceleration and gravity starts pulling it down.
The drag force is proportional to the velocity squared for the velocity range that balls are thrown and acts in the direction that ball is moving. Since the velocity and direction of the ball is constantly changing, and hence the drag force, the deceleration, is in fact, not static.

Edit: If you want to see how distance correlates with initial velocity magnitude, you would need to take the equations of motion with the magnus force and drag force included, and numerically (since the equations are nonlinear) integrate them forward in time (and stop the calculation when the ball reaches the vertical position representing ground). Do this for a range of initial velocities and you would get an idea of how the final (horizontal) distance changes with initial velocity magnitude (assuming the initial velocity direction is constant...)

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2020
The drag force is proportional to the velocity squared for the velocity range that balls are thrown and acts in the direction that ball is moving. Since the velocity and direction of the ball is constantly changing, and hence the drag force, the deceleration, is in fact, not static.

Edit: If you want to see how distance correlates with initial velocity magnitude, you would need to take the equations of motion with the magnus force and drag force included, and numerically (since the equations are nonlinear) integrate them forward in time (and stop the calculation when the ball reaches the vertical position representing ground). Do this for a range of initial velocities and you would get an idea of how the final (horizontal) distance changes with initial velocity magnitude (assuming the initial velocity direction is constant...)
That's like speaking a foreign language right there :)

Mar 19, 2009
Southern California

Way to flex some mental muscles 💪..... what I’ve noticed in long toss is she is having to get more explosive quicker than currently doing in order to increase distance thrown. Hopefully, she’ll connect the movement to pitching on the rubber. If not, another wasted attempt to improve but not all’s wasted my legs are getting a nice tan 🌞

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802