Proven long toss drills for catchers

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 20, 2011
I am sure this question has been asked and answered many times before, but does anyone have time tested long toss drills for softball catchers. I have seen the youtube videos about long toss and they are all performed by men and mostly pitchers working on arm strength.

Can anyone recommend drills specific to catcher and even more specific, softball catchers?

Thanks,
Tim

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
Are you refering to the Jeager sports long toss program?

I'm pretty sure that's the best one out there and would good for all positions, not just pitcher.

To adapt for softball, I'd just cut the top distances by 60% - 70% of what that show in the video.

I'm not sure long tossing from 300 feet with a softball is quite the best idea but streching it out to 200 feet if you can doesn't sound unreasonable to me at the older ages.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
I am sure this question has been asked and answered many times before, but does anyone have time tested long toss drills for softball catchers. I have seen the youtube videos about long toss and they are all performed by men and mostly pitchers working on arm strength.

Can anyone recommend drills specific to catcher and even more specific, softball catchers?

Thanks,
Tim

I spend all winter trying to gather up exactly that. There is zip, zero, nada. Male pitcher info is the closest, and pretty much the only info available that could translate into catcher throwing mechanics.

Jan 20, 2011
Re: Sweet Lou

Yes, I was referring to the Jeager program. I agree to modify the distance thrown due to the size/weight of the ball. However, this system may be great for outfielders and pitchers in the male game but it doesn't show catchers doing this type of training. My concern is that with greater lengths thrown the path of the arm is different. Longer if you will, like an outfielder. Catchers have a short arm path.

By using this Jeager method, yes, arm strength can be increased, however, once I get her behind the plate I have to shorten the arm path. Stronger arm but now I have to correct the arm path.

Are there long toss drills SPECIFIC for catchers, regardless of fastpitch or baseball. If anyone has specific fastpitch drills that would be fabulous.

Coach Jay (NECC), any recommendations?

Thanks,
Tim

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
tsryan - that's a good point but since long toss is mostly about building arm strength I think the program would still work just fine. What I'd modify is the release on the throws coming back it. That is stretch it out with the long arc going out like in the video but bring it back with her regular catcher draw and release on the way back in.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
The increase in mph from long toss will translate into an increase in the mph of C throw, but the increase won't quite be 100%. I wouldn't try to modify the Jaeger program to include a catcher-specific throw, I think you'd be asking for trouble.

For the last word though, PM Jay or contact him directly throw the NECC website.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
The increase in mph from long toss will translate into an increase in the mph of C throw, but the increase won't quite be 100%. I wouldn't try to modify the Jaeger program to include a catcher-specific throw, I think you'd be asking for trouble.

For the last word though, PM Jay or contact him directly throw the NECC website.

Agree with Greenmonsters. Megan Willis said she long tosses plate, to cf fence. Then practice the throw to 2nd as another drill. The long toss serves the purpose of arm strengthening and health. Then spend more time on the throw down mechanics separate.

hen

Dec 1, 2010
FWIW I have the DVD and he has Mike Lieberthal as one of the guys actually demonstrating the long toss portion.

See the 4th paragraph: Jaeger Sports

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
FWIW I have the DVD and he has Mike Lieberthal as one of the guys actually demonstrating the long toss portion.

See the 4th paragraph: Jaeger Sports

Hen. Do they get into the mechanics of the throw in the dvd? Is the dvd worth the money, considering you can get like 10 min exerpts of it on youtube?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06