Power Triangle

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 19, 2009
Southern California
I described exacatally what you said (trying to wipe something off the butt cheek ) to one of my students and she could feel the lower half working into rotation without her trying to rotate. It was like the sequence of rotation just happens. I was surprised how quickly she felt the change in her movement pattern. Taking what I've learned here, how can I incorroperate it with Dr. Yeager's principals if at all or do I start over.

May 3, 2014
Yaeger and spine engine movement are not compatible IMO. Yaeger relies on frontal plane movement (catcher to pitcher) and halting that momentum to create rotation. Spine Engine / Sagittal plane movement is about using the muscles of the inner core to initiate movement without the need to create that catcher to pitcher momentum.

A stride is an effect of S plane movements - Yaeger's teachings needs a forward stride.

Mar 19, 2009
Southern California
Yes and that's my struggle. Most if the kids I'm working with rotate too early pulling their shoulders. They have trouble hitting the outer half of the plate. Is there any way to blend both methods , I'm thinking not. I like the hip cock prior to rotation, the bat path is better.Thanks for all the great information.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Post by FFS on BBD:
TedCowCat_zps5be11668.gif

Using the video that TDS used of Williams, my read of Miyahira's article is that he termed the following frame left side lateral bend [Kelvin writes with a reference to a RH golfer] (i.e., lead/front side lateral bend) as a description of the lead shoulder and lead hip being brought closer together.
11tsn4o.jpg

.... and that the following frame would be an example of rear side lateral bend (rear shoulder & rear hip being drawn closer to each other) & lordosis (arching of the rear lower back).
2u3w6mh.jpg

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Post on BBD:
The compound inner core movement (Cat/Cow/Cat) will pull the lead shoulder inside the front hip - not on top of it. And the reversal will pull the rear shoulder down outside the rear hip - not on top of it.
d6j.gif

UtL6xJ.gif

Light bulb is starting to dimly go on for me.:eek:

Last edited:

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Posted by TDS on BBD:
2009-12_js21-25_zpsyhqzasvp.gif

Anterior Pelvic Tilt

Proper loading of the spine engine is due to a small amount of anterior pelvic tilt (APT) that occurs in the end of the backswing and transition. Shown by the green line(green line missing) on the lower spine, this slight arching of the spine is one of the most powerful moves your spine can set yourself up to make. The movement from APT back to neutral in the spine is a natural, powerful athletic motion that is found in many sports. Think of the Andy Roddick serve in tennis, Tim Lincecum's pitching motion, etc. Any powerful, athletic movement is probably using APT to neutral to provide extra power.

Last edited:

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Wouldn't it be easier to just say this:
Try this really quick. Stand up straight. Now bend to one side. See how far you can bend. Try moving in this position. Pretty restricted. Now stand up straight again. Stick your butt out by bending through the hips. Now complete the side bend. See how well you can move? How freely you can move your shoulder line? Yet for some reason hitters want to try to hit standing straight up at heel plant. We need to get into better positions so we can move powerfully.
suggested all you needed to do was stick out butt out and turn...it's close but incomplete.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
hqdefault.jpg

Cat 1 - spinal bend forward with an element of PPT coupled with resistance against PPT by pulling back into the hips - Tipping

Cow is a release of Cat 1 and the creation of the APT to allow the spine to laterally bend rearwards and facilitates rotation. Cow is adjustment period (sitting if need be)

Cat 2 - creation of hip(s) extension which causes PPT

Cat 1
GaEexC.gif

Cow
xRHbX0.gif

Cat 2
x76H0p.gif

May 3, 2014
Bass - make the muscles attached to spine be the flexible ruler. Get this part right and the other pieces fall into place.

Upperbody_runningstart3.gif

GaEexC.gif

74vzNG.gif

uCcLfP.gif

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LisagS24