Power Triangle

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Kemp.gif

7418829_orig.jpg

May 3, 2014
Nice clips RD - once you start to identify the muscles (inner core) you start to see under the hood.

What do the muscles below have in common? Isn't it entirely possible the inner core muscles create the initial movement?

Quadratus Lomborum (QL's)

wd1h.gif

Psoas

th

Mutifidus

multifidusanatomy.png

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
This is Kelvin Miyahira's cue that is quoted here http://www.discussfastpitch.com/softball-hitting-technical/26554-power-triangle.html#post367373

But, how you "brush" off your rear butt cheek to start your swing is where the rubber meets the road - you should be using your inner core muscles such as the multifidus, QL's and Psoas. If you just drop your rear shoulder to laterally bend you are not using the correct muscles. It's nice to try and oversimplify a complex movement but if it was that easy everyone would be moving like the world class hitters and golfers.

Read Kelvin's article about 15 times and let the underlying biomechanics sink in.

2015-07 : How Great Players Rotate In A Golf Swing

Exactly Butter... Every swing produces lateral tilt.. its the APT/LPT combination that is missed by most... Focusing on loading/stretching in the sagittal plane helps balance out APT/LPT.

Some APT (cat/cow/cat) in motion that Kelvin agreed with during our email discussions of the movement pattern.

Last edited:

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Regarding the green line ... I see a gradient running from right to left.

See the right lateral bend in Puig and Tiger’s spine? The right elbow drives forward and you can see Puig’s shoulders tilt from the higher camera angle. Tailbone is moving away (sacrum move) from pitcher in Puig’s case and away from target in Tiger’s. That helps to create the slight arch in the lower back or lordosis.
ea3gRUEmxDRUP5AV8v6kjLVi2mMFvJrvyrcCarWfdqZcy9cl9iEf2sCCJ6c-jHqBJAWnH7XbGW7t30UhQMHdHoLofuK-6KgVPxX9NFUmmUZKxpnvXdhSMDcE2R_kr7HnUJ8S0zfghzpg5YR4

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Regarding the green line ... I see a gradient running from right to left.

See the right lateral bend in Puig and Tiger’s spine? The right elbow drives forward and you can see Puig’s shoulders tilt from the higher camera angle. Tailbone is moving away (sacrum move) from pitcher in Puig’s case and away from target in Tiger’s. That helps to create the slight arch in the lower back or lordosis.
ea3gRUEmxDRUP5AV8v6kjLVi2mMFvJrvyrcCarWfdqZcy9cl9iEf2sCCJ6c-jHqBJAWnH7XbGW7t30UhQMHdHoLofuK-6KgVPxX9NFUmmUZKxpnvXdhSMDcE2R_kr7HnUJ8S0zfghzpg5YR4

Not sure if my point is getting across ... That being that the formation of the arch is in rear lower back.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IBSoftballDad619