Poor balance? Swing issue?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 4, 2012
Well that's no fun. :( I think I have seen it in some swings. She did some slow swings with my heavy baseball bat to feel the barrel. Maybe she is just extending better. Back to the drawing board.

Find a slomo video of David Ortiz. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q29688HqdQ8 Watch how his hands move and WHEN they move. Your daughter is not in the right pattern.

Now, his hand movement is exaggerated relative to some (see Miggy above), but if you work with her in this exaggerated fashion so she can understand the proper sequence it would really help her. You can always minimize it later. Sometimes I think it is helpful for kids to "go big" to restore some natural athleticism that has been coached out of them by the well intentioned.

As he does his "negative move" (or initially picks his front foot up or whatever the heck someone wants to call it) his hands go DOWN. It is not until he starts moving out/coiling forward or whatever that his hands start moving back or up relative to his body (creating separation). DO you see that?

Sometimes I will dumb it down even more and just tell a player - hold the bat vertical with your hands down around your waist in front of the rear leg. Before I throw a pitch I will either say - Step into the ball first then move your hands or "don't move your hands until you have coiled forward into the ball". Hands need to be late

Last way to try to understand sequence - grab a bale of hay and toss it into the back of a truck - notice how your hands are still going back as you are stepping toward the truck - to create the overlap - same thing happens in a swing imho

All this takes time (not 2-3 weeks time) so don't worry. As I have said before you have to feel it first then you can coach her. Now you know the two areas you need to wrap your brain around - hands and pattern

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
jkvcz7.gif

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
r2q7bd.gif

Above, the "turning of the barrel", the creation of a hand pivot point, leads to "locking things in" ... i.e., the creation of structure ....... as opposed to "locking things in" prematurely, and avoiding the hand pivot point action, as we see here.

ru3bcx.gif

Two very different approaches.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
When you use the hands properly, the applied pressure felt in the rear (right) forearm will be “perpendicular” to the barrel as the barrel turning process is initiated.

2mecn6e.gif

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChippyNole