Poor balance? Swing issue?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
At one point this approach here (below) was a somewhat common band-aide solution to solving 'bat drag'.

ru3bcx.gif

The problem is that this approach didn't solve the problem. All it did was bury the indicator that people were using to detect 'bat drag'. It was more an attempt to hide the indicator that many use for detecting 'bat drag' and not a true solution to addressing 'bat drag'.

If you want to avoid 'bat drag', then "turn the barrel".

Simply put ..... a barrel being "turned" is a barrel not being "dragged".

Turn the barrel.

Apr 26, 2014
She did have the barrel turning at one point but when working here on the coil, and separation, and timing of the separation we lost that part. Didn't think we had a bat drag issue in ages.

Is her separation and the timing better at least?

May 23, 2012
Eastlake, OH
Didn't think we had a bat drag issue in ages.

I'm going to translate

FFS was not stating your daughter has bat drag as in bottom elbow leading the hand. He meant that the barrel being pinned to the shoulder and launching from that position was another instructor's method of resolving that type of bat drag. While he and others feel that hitters who lead with the elbow do so because they don't use their hands properly. You'd have to read up on Chris O'Leary's old posts or look at the images of his son on his website years ago. Now you don't have to.

Apr 26, 2014
Ok, thanks. That was created working on the separation issue. She has always been good at not leading with her elbow but I do realize we need to get this hand thing working soon.

P.S. My daughter thinks she guys are awesome for all your help even when her dad doesn't understand it all the time.

Apr 26, 2014
So why do some hitting coaches even at the University have them fire their hips through and say to let the hands come along for the ride? Girls were even doing this and hitting the ball of the tee with their eyes closed. Trusting the hands was repeated over and over.

Apr 26, 2014
She knows what we are looking for but it just doesn't happen at full speed. I guess we will just keep working on the her coil and step and hope it happens eventually.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DDubyah