playing time on a competitive team

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 24, 2011
How is it an opportunity if she hardly plays? How is it an opportunity if the team never practices anymore and only go to tournaments? When does she get better?

She gets better by working on her skills on her own. Travel ball is all about tournaments. What did you think you were signing up for ?

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
You mentioned soccer earlier. If she is good at that, you might want to check out the local travel team. BTW they want a year long commitment, do not understand kids missing games and practices for birthday parties. They have rules about parents talking to kids. They will place your girl where they think she can help the most, even if its on the bench. They will expect her to throw herself on the ground to stop the other teams progress with the ball.

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
FWIW, some upper level showcase/travel teams never practice together. Kids live hours apart and only come together on tournament weekends. They are expected to do their own practicing. Fielding, hitting and conditioning. If they don't it's their performance that will suffer in the showcase.

It sounds like you just viewed TB as a higher level of instructional ball. Most of the girls playing it have fun. They like the work aspect of it and showtime. Let me ask you a question. Would you expect a runner or a swimmer to get the endurance needed to complete only at the meets? The figure skater her poise and grace under the spotlight? Nope, that's showtime and for your DD and all of ours, the games are showtime.

Jan 15, 2009
Midwest
How is it an opportunity if she hardly plays? How is it an opportunity if the team never practices anymore and only go to tournaments? When does she get better?

She made the team. IT IS HER RESPONSIBILITY TO PRACTICE ON HER OWN.

Side note: When DD played 16U/18U, the team she played on did not have one single team practice until the Fall of 2nd year of 18U. They won two different State Titles (ASA, NSA) the same year and place 2nd two other times. Finished second at one world series and in the top five at a world series in a couple of those years.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
Actually the coaches job during game time is to manage the GAME not give instructions. Production during the games are the keys, you don't perform on the field, then what is the coach supposed to do? Top level teams (in any age group) is about winning. Sure some may say for 10/12U it should be instructional, but then why have ASA Nationals for 10/12U? Those teams that strive to play at the National Level is about winning.

Sounds like your DD may have bit off a little more than she could chew, thats OK tho, I am sure there are "B" Level teams in your area where she can work on her skills and still get some pretty good competition.

Jun 9, 2011
Ohio
the examples you give of teams that dont practice are all older. this is a 12u team! this isn't girls playing in college! are top 12u tb teams really like this? in the tournaments we go to when the other team is losing i see their subs come in. when our team is winning by a lot on sunday my dd wont get in the game because its only a 3 or 4 inning game. is it the same girls that sit every sunday on all these top teams?

other parents tell me how good my daughter can be all the time. she just needs to get the right coach. i heard this coach was the best in the area so she tried like heck to get on this team and made it. the next thing you know... she misses a few practices/games and she's on the sh!tlist. this isnt college ball people. kids should be allowed to have a life.

Apr 15, 2010
kids should be allowed to have a life.
For some of these girls (and their parents) softball is their life. You simply need to find a team where the seriousness and time commitment are more suited to your family's desires. There are plenty of them out there; you just need to look.

Jan 24, 2011
the examples you give of teams that dont practice are all older. this is a 12u team! this isn't girls playing in college! are top 12u tb teams really like this? in the tournaments we go to when the other team is losing i see their subs come in. when our team is winning by a lot on sunday my dd wont get in the game because its only a 3 or 4 inning game. is it the same girls that sit every sunday on all these top teams?

other parents tell me how good my daughter can be all the time. she just needs to get the right coach. i heard this coach was the best in the area so she tried like heck to get on this team and made it. the next thing you know... she misses a few practices/games and she's on the sh!tlist. this isnt college ball people. kids should be allowed to have a life.

They do. They CHOSE for it to be softball. They just have a drive and commitment that you DD does not have for it.

Jan 25, 2011
My dd spends the whole fall, winter,and spring just getting ready for the short softball season in the Northeast part of the country,just like most of the posters on this site.Is it always fun working on your swing or pitching to a location until you get the results she wants? No,but there is alot of pride in showing others how hard you have worked at it.If life was easy we would all be rich and living the life,but we all know that it takes hard work to get to are goals.Chuck,I think it is time for your dd to find something else to do,because you are going to ruin her chances in softball.

Jun 9, 2011
Ohio
i let her go on that team because that was what she wanted. it was the best team in the area with the supposedly best head coach. but when your kid is treated unfairly by coaches that dont care about 12/13yo girls and dont give them a chance its tough to swallow.

we have a tournament tomorrow. i guess i'll see what happens.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meeks