playing time on a competitive team

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 13, 2010
How can a parent who only wants the best for his daughter be insane? Don't all parents want that for their kid?

Because what you are doing is damaging your daughter's chances of ever playing for a good travel team again.

My advice with your current opinion of what softball is about is to try chess.

LOL

Jan 24, 2011
The best thing for you and your DD would be to go to Rec Ball and forget the Travel ball thing all together , because you have no idea what it takes for her to be a top level softball player

Oct 22, 2009
PA
I know most of the girls on this team hire professional instructors on the side. I never did that growing up. I played varsity HS baseball and never had a pro give me a hitting lesson. We can afford it; but that is just silly for 12/13 yo girls to have a pro hitting coach. How common is that? What about the head coach? Don't they have a responsibility to teach these kids to hit too? We paid good money to be on this team and I really dont think these coaches give a damn. I'm guessing we should quit.

What does everyone mean by "THAT" parent? Doesn't every parent here want their kids to be on a good team and get a chance to play and do well? This is 12u softball people! This isn't the college world series. How do they expect a girl to be able to perform if she doesn't play as much as everyone else? How can I blame my kid for not wanting to dive because thats the smart play? How can she hit when she comes in cold off the bench? When everyone else gets 3 or 4 at bats in the game? The team stopped having practices once the season started so she cant get better there. Would it kill them to not enter a tournament and just have a few practices instead?

Chucky, I think you need to take a step back and gain a little perspective, particularly from the other side of the fence. Say that your kid was the one putting in extra time and effort away from the team to improve her skills. Say that your DD was the one who bugged you everyday to catch for her so that she could work on her pitch location. Say that your DD spent hours outside of private hitting lessons and hit into a net by herself off a tee in the backyard so that she was the best hitter she could possibly be.

Now, imagine that there is another kid on the team, that misses games and practices, doesn't work outside of practice to improve her game, and cannot be counted on sacrifice when the team needs her to do that. Is it fair for THAT kid to play ahead of yours? Kids at this age put in the extra hours of work because they love the game and want to get better. When they come through with a key hit, an important bunt, or a great catch in the outfield, it is about how that play helps the team win.

A kid that is not putting in the same effort and has not developed the same level of skill does not "out of fairness" get the same amount of playing time as kids who put all the extra effort to improve and make the team better, at least when they are signed up for a competitve team. If you want fairness and trophies for participation, Little League and other rec leagues are the place you should be looking, not highly competitive select teams where the goal of the team is to win championships.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
I smell a Troll, but I'll play anyway.

Chucky, the simple answer is NO, you don't teach a kid during a game, that is what all the insignifigant scrimmages your missing are for. Good luck to your DD, because softball is a small community and I can tell your the Team Jumpers type, you know the ones that always think the grass is greener somewhere else. Eventually it will catch up.

For the record, you said you never had a pro hitting instructor, that may be the reason you only played HS ball. Talk to current HS Baseball players and see how many have private lessons.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I am a firm believer that the players’ individual skills are developed outside of practice. Does not have to be a $ professional but all aspects of her game should be worked on outside of practice. If you ask the coach what your DD should work on, and they will not take the time explain it to you, then you have an Issue. The question to the coach should be something like: What should we work on to improve DD’s hitting? Not: What does my DD have to do to be in the lineup?

Even doing the above does not guarantee success, just puts the player in their best position to succeed.

Jun 9, 2011
Ohio
After rereading all your posts I might begin to understand. I guess its hard to see things sometimes for what it is. We went to a team that was at a level of play and commitment we were not prepared for. As a parent I feel terrible when my kid is upset. The last tournament she was a sub on sunday. She pinch ran. She struck out in a pinch hit spot after being on the bench for 3 innings. She didnt see the field. They won that tournament... but she didn't really contribute. She was crying the whole ride home. I just felt like the coaches didnt give her a fair shake. She has a lot of potential. She's big, strong, fast. In Little League she is a HR hitter and plays 1b. On this team they didnt let her play enough to really improve. I just wish the coaches who i thought had a responsibility to help her get better did their job better and now my daughter is upset. As a parent I probably should just pull her off this team. Did I mention she was playing with a slightly injured foot? She probably could have played better if she was healthier.

Mar 13, 2010
Chucky, if you're not trolling at least you're starting to get it.

If your daughter has come from little league and got onto one of the best travel teams in the area she has raw talent. The coaches obviously recognised that.

Go re-read the advice I gave on the last page. Learn it, live it, love.

Lastly, STOP making excuses for your daughter. You are not helping her by doing that.

I would also get it out of your head that the coaches 'have it in for your daughter'. They have given your daughter exactly what she has put into the team. No more, no less. It's a two way street and you and your daughter have not given any to them.

Mar 13, 2010
CycloneSoftball22 don't be cyncial. It's possible (even probable) that this is some loser's idea of a joke. But ultimatly it makes them a loser, not us.

On the small chance that this is all real, hopefully we've helped someone on the right track. Either way I'm happy with what's gone down in this topic.

Oct 25, 2009
After rereading all your posts I might begin to understand. I guess its hard to see things sometimes for what it is. We went to a team that was at a level of play and commitment we were not prepared for. As a parent I feel terrible when my kid is upset. The last tournament she was a sub on sunday. She pinch ran. She struck out in a pinch hit spot after being on the bench for 3 innings. She didnt see the field. They won that tournament... but she didn't really contribute. She was crying the whole ride home. I just felt like the coaches didnt give her a fair shake. She has a lot of potential. She's big, strong, fast. In Little League she is a HR hitter and plays 1b. On this team they didnt let her play enough to really improve. I just wish the coaches who i thought had a responsibility to help her get better did their job better and now my daughter is upset. As a parent I probably should just pull her off this team. Did I mention she was playing with a slightly injured foot? She probably could have played better if she was healthier.

You don't get it! I'm going to try one more time to enlighten you.

Your DD was given an opportunity to pinch hit. The coach took someone else out and gave your DD a chance to help the team. Twice!
Like another poster stated, you don't practice in a game. Playing time is performing time; learning is a side effect in that situation.

You, and only you, are responsible for your DD not being ready to play. You, and only you, are responsible for your DD not being ready to practice. You, and only you, can decide to get her the lessons she needs if SHE wants to be the best SHE can be.

It's not anyone else but you! You make the excuses! You place the blame somewhere else every time.

Your DD is not ready to play TB! Your DD does not have the skills to play TB! And YOU are the only legitimate excuse she has for not being ready! That's THE ONLY EXCUSE that holds water!

It's time for you to stop holding her back; it's time for her to work for what she wants! Stop teaching her that she can't!!!!!!!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jar207