playing time on a competitive team

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 6, 2009
While I don't agree with not bunting or yelling to the kids out on the field--Wow these responses are a bit abusive. The players are 12, did we say 12? We are not talking about the next phenom going to Mizzou who is 16.

Most of these girls are 12 and 13. And the girls that play U12 want to win as much as the girls at U14 -U18 and in college.
Team work makes the team function as a whole. Individual work gives the girls the skills they need to function as part of the team. I remember the first time I saw two of the girls on my DD's U12 travel team. Immediately I saw how much better they were. Now, 6 years later, both are playign D1 ball. Point is they were playing high level Travel and already had the skills as did much of our team even at U12. Many of that group is now playing DI or or DII.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dec 6, 2010
Florida
I feel your pain. DD is on her first travel team this year as a 1st year 14U. I like the coaches personally but really question some of their decisions as to position players. That being said, I am not a coach and my opinion as a parent really doesn't matter. I knew this when we signed her up. Use this situation as a learning experience. Playing time is not guaranteed. I told DD that if she's worried about playing time, she needs to make sure she busts her butt at every practice, to be the loudest cheerleader in the dugout when she's not playing, and to step up to whatever situation the team needs to her take on. Coming off the bench cold to pinch hit is probably the toughest job in MLB, where those guys are getting paid hundreds of thousands of dollars to hopefully bat .250. If that is the role your DD is supposed to fill, then it would be in her best interest to get in as much batting practice ON HER OWN TIME as possible. She needs to be confident - if she made her current team as a role player, she can make another team as a starter after the current commitment is fulfilled.

I agree except most of those MLB pinch hitters get to go hit in the cage under the stadium during the games. I tell my DD to always be ready and when your time comes make the best of it.

Oct 25, 2009
We just asked one of the grils on our U14 travel team to leave because of the complaining that was already starting two tournaments in about being fair and equal playing time. Before the season, we had everyone read the following and we still have families that don't get it If your team had 12 players they would have asked you to leave too:

We are a travel team and not bound by any rules that dictate equal playing time or scheduled substitutions. Traveling fast pitch softball is highly competitive and equal playing time is not guaranteed for the players. However, the coaches will make every effort to play all of the players in every tournament. The coaches will continue to analyze the development of each player to determine positions and playing time. Every player for the (Team name)...... has equal access to all the opportunities that the team provides for our players. What they do with those opportunities is totally left up to each player. We hope all of our players will work hard and make the most of these opportunities. However, playing time and positions are not rights that are given to our players, they are priveleges that are EARNED by our players.

That should be a part of any TB team's policies. That should make it perfectly clear right up front. That sounds good for HS, also, as far as I'm concerned.

Mar 15, 2011
i'd say having her sit alone on the bench for 3 or 4 games is unfair.

Unfair? Really? The other girls on the team likely spent their offseasons at pitching, hitting, fielding and catching lessons. They are probably continuing these during the SB season. They are missing thier friend's B-day parties because they have SB practice, They are missing sleepovers. They are missing snow-boarding. They give up tons of things to make themselves the best they can possibly be and get the most possible playing time in the sport that is the most important to them: Softball. Heck, they might have even cried themselves about some of the things they have missed.

Unfair would be for your DD to waltz in from soccer after taking the pre-season practices and scrimmages off, play at a lower level, with less hustle and then take playing time away from those who have put in more effort, because of parental pressure on the coach. I know this because my DD started her HS season career as our best pitcher, and she put in the most effort working on her own only to lose playing time to another girl who's parents were able to put administrative pressure on the head coach. I would have loved for her to be playing for your DDs coach.

At this point you have a lot of options, but little or none of them are with this team. Your DD is getting to the age where she needs to make choices. Soccer or softball, birthday party or practice, hanging out or scrimmages. Rather than complaining that the coach doesn't bring the team down to her level, she needs to decide whether or not to get herself up to thier level or find a different team with different goals.

Oct 19, 2009
Most of these girls are 12 and 13. And the girls that play U12 want to win as much as the girls at U14 -U18 and in college.
Team work makes the team function as a whole. Individual work gives the girls the skills they need to function as part of the team. I remember the first time I saw two of the girls on my DD's U12 travel team. Immediately I saw how much better they were. Now, 6 years later, both are playign D1 ball. Point is they were playing high level Travel and already had the skills as did much of our team even at U12. Many of that group is now playing DI or or DII.

Someone else was a bit incredulous about taking 12u so seriously. I can tell you there are some downright SICK 12u teams. We played a couple in Cincinnati that half their team was starting for the High School Varsity team as 6th and 7th graders. After playing them it was obvious why.

Mar 13, 2010
There's nothing concrete that this is a troll. Some parents just really ARE that dense when it comes to things we all take for granted.

If it's real, I would love an update.

Jun 15, 2011
Thanks for the advice. Most of the other kids have private hitting, pitching instructors. They practiced a lot during the fall/winter as a team but once the season started they hardly ever practiced as a team anymore. I knew her role would be left field and power hitter from the beginning. I spoke to the coaches a little. They want more hustle in the outfield for her. They showed me an example of her not diving for the ball "or what coach said as best effort to get to the ball" in left. The other girl she shares time with in left dives for balls and if she misses it ends up being a double or triple. My girl lets it drop and keeps it in front of her and she keeps it to a single. With their pitching a single doesn't usually turn into a run. Should I tell her to do the stupid thing, dive for it and let a single become a double?

They also told me she can't strike out looking and needs to be able to get a bunt down. She's a power hitter why does she need to worry about bunting? She's 5' 10" 180 lbs. The little girls need to bunt. My girl can put it over the fence! Sometimes when she gets called looking the strikeouts are pitches off the plate or really low (she's tall) that the umpire calls for strikes and I can't blame her for not swinging. If she had more time in the game like everyone else I know she would get better. This coach is ridiculous. I think the coach has it in for her and wants to push her off the team. Even when they are winning like 15-0 she doesn't get her in the game. Just ridiculous. We paid the same money as everyone else.

I think the coach had it in from her from the beginning. We missed a few practices and some scrimmages in the beginning because she plays soccer too. She shouldn't have to miss a soccer game for just a practice or meaningless scrimmage.

When I saw the tournament schedule I knew there were a couple of conflicts in advance and told the coaches she'd miss a few saturday's. They said those conflicts weren't acceptable and she'd be benched if she missed a game. They also said she would bring a guest player in to replace her if she didn't show. She wanted to go to her friends birthday parties. She's 13. She should be allowed to have some fun! That tournament came. My DD went to her friends bday party. They brought in a guest from the younger team and that girl played in front of her on Sunday. A guest playing in front of a regular player?!?

The team also has a stupid rule where parents cant talk to their kids during games. If we need to talk to them we grab a coach and that coach tells them. Its a 12u team. Parents need to be able to speak to the kids. This drives me crazy because they won't tell my daughter what she's doing wrong in the game (when she's in there) so I have to yell it at her.

Wow...if this is some kind of parody excuse me for missing the boat. But if you are truly serious with this post I have to say you have a huge disconnect with the game of softball. You are off base on so many of your points it's hard to believe that anyone can arrive at this mindset.

But I'll bite...

*You shouldn't tell your daughter to do the "stupid thing" and dive for the ball...you should tell your daughter to learn the difference between balls that are catchable with effort and those that are not. Those doubles you describe caused by diving girls(translated to mean effort) are no more harmful then the singles given up on balls that could be out with a little effort.

*When you have two strikes on you you are forced to swing at balls that are just outside the strike zone. Umpires are never an excuse for watching a 3rd strike that is off the plate or too low.

*Every kid...regardless of whether they are a "power hitter" or where they bat in the lineup needs to know how to get a bunt down. Softball is a team sport and sometimes the situation calls for a bunt...even if it robs your "power hitter" of a chance to hit one out...or...in the scenario you described to strike out looking. Not understanding this concept tells a lot about your understanding of the game.

*When you decide to play competitive softball you are making a commttment. That means that you can't come to practices and games only when it is convenient. Although most coaches are forgiving occasionally with personal events...as long as it isn't on a regular basis...part of your committment to playing means that you are going to miss out on a few of the personal things in your life. That is how life works in most any endeavor you will take on.

*Your coaches were up front with you when they told you from the very beginning that it was unacceptable to miss practices and games. They spelled out the consequences (being benched, finding guest player, etc.). Those coaches should be applauded for being honest with you. They didn't say that it would be okay then benched your daughter withour understanding as to why. They laid it on the line up front and gave you a clear understanding of their expectations. Whether we agree with their position or not isn't the point. The point is you shouldn't be surprised when a coach does exactly what he said from the very beginning.

* The only glimmer of a point you might have is if they don't tell her what she is doing wrong...if that is in fact the case. Some coaches address the issue privately between innings.

But over all...if this is a legitimate post...you have a lot to learn.

Sep 3, 2009
Who are you calling a troll? The original poster? Me?
Because this topic is quite like others and the feelings of many parents. I know another softball board that just berates any new poster. I would like to hear from new posters and not have labels for them. I get the feeling that troll is really seen just as 'someone new' an outsider on many boards, when it should be someone purposely being deceptive or negative,

I really am a softball person, but I do not mind new people or people trying to get responses, even if I disagree with them or they might not be completely forthcoming. It is different if a person is stalking some one with negative comments.

Don't be so defensive... they're talking about the original poster.

It's either someone playing a little game, and having a joy reading all the excited responses (likely); or someone who really is clueless about TB, and got themselves in a pickle (possible, but less likely).

Either way, this thread should be a sticky at the top for all new TB parents to read. Maybe move it to the 'how-to' section, and rename it? "What not to do; don't be that parent"

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drid