Players sitting on Sunday

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Huskerdu

With Purpose and Urgency
Sep 4, 2011
I am sure this has been asked before, but I have a decent catcher who isn't hitting, she misses signs, she refuses to bunt and her mom was the one who came to my dugout to tell me why she couldn't bunt (that was a different Oprah).
She has a private hitting coach that has her all tied up with rotational hitting (which is fine), but she just doesn't get it and I can't change anything from what he is doing. I've even attended her lessons to see how we can collaborate, nothing has worked thusfar.

Anyway, I decided that because this kid couldn't play catcher while having a designated hitter, I had to sit her and use her to pinch run for my pitcher and catcher.

Her parents were livid because she didn't play on that Sunday, but I couldn't just sacrifice that one spot in the batting order for an automatic out.

I told the kids last night that this isn't rec softball and that it is their job to make it difficult for me to pull them out of the lineup on Sunday and that if they decide to give less than 100% on Saturday, then Sunday they are probably going to sit one or more games.

These girls are second year 12U B competitive we have won one tournament and placed second...other finishes were miserable (5-6 and even one 9th place)

I know for a fact other good 12U teams we've played against do this, this is the first time I have not considered batting my lineup of 11.

I have been disuaded by one of our other coaches for doing this but why? ...and what would you tell the parents.

I am not a newbie, but I have always had 11 kids who can get on base.

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
I have been disuaded by one of our other coaches for doing this but why? ...

I would bat them all - assuming good effort and attitude. Not sure that is the case here, but I would not keep a player out of the batting order for lack of performance on a 12U-B team. I did it one time and regretted it. IMO, 12U-B girls do not want to win at the expense of a teammate (or anybody) not batting. But adults (coaches and parents) rationalize it by saying that it teaches them to work harder, etc., when what they really want is to win. I batted all 11 throughout 12U, and I'm sure it cost us a game or two, but I have no regrets.

Huskerdu

With Purpose and Urgency
Sep 4, 2011
Thanks Coogan...I am thinking that maybe it was so traumatic that now they know I will do it if I have to, they will all make it difficult for me to sit them out. I don't care as much about winning...I do care...but I would rather send the message and teach the lesson to these girls that they need to take ownership for their own actions, efforts, attitudes, etc.

A slump is one thing, laziness and defiance is totally another...

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
If your batting 9, why couldn't you use her as the flex? This way you can keep her on the field on defense. Even at 16A if the rules allow, we bat the lineup. I guess the question would be how many games did you play on Sunday, and were there times you could get her in? Even this year in HS, I watched a couple of girls not getting any time at all, ZERO innings (and believe me, when your loosing 13-0 in the 4th inning why not put them in? Or on the other hand when your winning big why not put them in?) You gotta also look at it from the parents perspective, they paid the same amount as everyone else. If your deadset on playing "the best 9" on Sunday, then maybe have a sitdown with the player and parents and show them the numbers. And it may just be that she isn't a softball player, and it's now catching up with her.

Feb 3, 2011
I recognize that all local sanctions have their own participation rules, but even in B ball, we only batted 9 on Sundays. The top 5 were almost always the same, but girls could play their way into the Sunday lineup on Saturday.

I don't know your team's goals for this season, but I see nothing wrong with playing your normal way from Jan-May unless there's a particular tourney you're trying to win. Bat all 11, get everyone in on defense. Then when you get into June-July, it's just my observation that more teams are focused on winning ballgames, so teams generally benefit from a more competitive style of coaching.

May 17, 2012
I would bat them all - assuming good effort and attitude. Not sure that is the case here, but I would not keep a player out of the batting order for lack of performance on a 12U-B team.

Being classified as a "B" team has no bearing on the situation.

If the parents want to complain simply hand them the score book and show her how she hit on Saturday.

Oct 22, 2009
PA
I have a 12U B team. The entire team has been aware since August that everyone plays on Saturdays so that they can all get experience in the infield and outfield, and I bat as many as the rules allow. My goal is to develop 12 utility players (3 of which can play catcher, and 3 or 4 good pitchers - still working on the pitching!:p). But on Sundays, the best 9 play because it is single elimination. I try to get everyone in the game on Sundays, but they are not guaranteed that it will be an at bat or playing time in the field. Even on a B team, it is important to teach the girls how to win, and that usually comes from practice and hard work. To play a kid who won't do that is asking for headaches from the parents. Do what you think is the right thing to do for the team, not just one player.

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
If the parents want to complain simply hand them the score book and show her how she hit on Saturday.

The message you would be sending is that you want to win more than you want to develop that player.

But I'm not concerned about justifying my decisions with parents. It's the kids that I'm beholding to. Most coaches are more concerned with parents because parents complain while kids rarely question adults. They look to us to show them what is right. They trust what they see.

What 12U-B players want is a team with small rosters where everybody who is working hard is in the batting lineup every game. Winning is not that important to them that they want their hard-working teammates to lose her turn at bat. But adults decide that batting 9 is what the kids really need, and they rationalize it.

Not saying that there isn't a time and place to bat only 9, but 12U-B is not it.

That's IMHO, of course, as I understand many will disagree with me.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Even on a B team, it is important to teach the girls how to win, and that usually comes from practice and hard work.

I am not convinced that sitting players on the bench will teach them how to win, or how to work harder. You learn to win by playing and performing in games and playing an integral role in victories. As for work ethic, those batting 11th and playing RF are motivated to bat higher and get more infield time. Those sitting the bench often become motivated to spend their long Sundays doing something else.

I again want to stress that I'm talking 12U. If you want to serve their best interest, let them play, IMO.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32