Odd situation about HC/AC duties

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
Okay, maybe this isn't weird, and maybe it is, but I wanted to ask the group about this one.

How many of you have seen it where the AC coaches third base while the HC coaches first? The AC makes out the lineup, runs practices, and calls the pitches. Last season, the HC coached third until the playoffs when she and him had a big blowout in the dugout. After that, he took over at third, and to be honest, he's clueless.

Has anyone seen a situation like this before?

May 29, 2015
Not sure which part of that, but yes to all.

AC at 3rd, HC at 1st . . . yes . . . check.
AC does the work, HC coasts . . . yes . . . check.
AC and HC have a romantic spat in the dugout . . . yes . . . check.
Man mansplains and runs over woman coach . . . yes . . . check.
AC is revealed to be a moron . . . yes . . . check.

Apr 25, 2019
Yeah my DD's HC is a figurehead. AC's coach both 1st and 3rd. HC calls pitches until she gets bored and let's my DD call from behind the plate.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Over the years I have seen every combination of weirdness in every sport I have ever been involved in.

My favourite college softball one was Joan Joyce (RIP) at FAU in her last few years - she let her AC's do everything. I once ran into her in the concession stand selling coffee during a pre-conference season tournament while her team was playing. "They know what they are doing" she told me.
Of course Joan earned everything she ever got, so not the same situation.

Closer to the OP - one local D2 coach was possible the worst organized person in the world ever. Her AC's had to organize and run most things - except the actual coaching on the field. AC would literally give her a run sheet for practice, organize where the players were and HC ran the drill... and then AC got them all ready for the next. Game day, ACs did lineups, organizing everything... HC would rock up 5 min before the game, coach the game, do a pre-game speech and leave... It was weird. She was at that school for 15 years before they finally let her go.

Jan 22, 2011
"The Story You Are About To See Is True.
The Names Have Been Changed To Protect The Innocent"

I've been doing this way too long, and two different buddies have told me I should write a book about some of the stories I could tell.

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2019
MN
There have been plenty of games where I wish I had been in the other coach's box, no matter what role I was in so I could be closer to our dugout. I also like being a 3rd coach, bench coach or scorekeeper if you will. Being in or close enough to the dugout to teach the girls something about the game as it happens has more value to me than the "prestige" of being the guy swinging his arms in circles to send the winning run home.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles