Pivot Foot Heel on Front of Pitching Plate?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 7, 2008
DFW
Here is a clip I took of Jenny prior to the Oympics in 08. They were in OKC and it was breast cancer awareness day so they were all wearing pink. Check out the blue watching her footwork. Then check out her footwork. I would have considered this a replant but she did this all day long with him watching and never got called. I just happened to have this clip still up on my site due to a similar conversation on another thread about this issue.

YouTube - Jennie Finch Pitching4

You make the call blues.

May 12, 2008
Hal,

CS can explain without me but when the subject comes up, I think of the video clip I saw of Michael White pitching starting with his back foot back off the rubber. I was struck with how smooth he looked. Put both feet on the rubber and now you have to explode more than stride. I'd suggest the stride looks healthier in the long run than having the feet forced close together by the rubber and having to explosively push off to develop any momentum. Has to be easier on the body one way than the other.

Oct 23, 2009
Los Angeles
Here is a clip I took of Jenny prior to the Oympics in 08. They were in OKC and it was breast cancer awareness day so they were all wearing pink. Check out the blue watching her footwork. Then check out her footwork. I would have considered this a replant but she did this all day long with him watching and never got called. I just happened to have this clip still up on my site due to a similar conversation on another thread about this issue.

YouTube - Jennie Finch Pitching4

You make the call blues.

IMO, clearly a hop, then push off, and an IP. At least she has the bottom of her heel on the plate before the motion. Per Hillhouse DVD, the "back" of the pivot foot heel is the only part of the foot touching the plate not the cleats of the heel, however there is no hop.

Dec 23, 2009
San Diego
ASA pitcher's preliminary handout

As promised...:cool:

Hopefully the attachment comes across OK...the photos are kind of dark but the illustrations are pretty clear...

Aug 21, 2008
Thank you to the person who emailed me and told me about this topic, I have not been on this site for quite a while. However, let me say this much... the foot placement part of my DVD is the only part of it I wish I could re-do. There are other things I think I could explain differently and/or better these days but the foot thing has always bothered me because a big part of what I said was edited out (no, I didn't do any of the editing). The heel/toe thing is not illegal and it's how I pitch when I'm playing under the ISF rules. It's not illegal unless the pitcher takes a stride forward prior to the push off. Without the stride, it's fine. There is no physical way to stay on the rubber and throw the ball, assuming he/she is actually taking a step or push forward. Pure momentum takes him/her off the rubber quickly. My personal belief is that if the ground conditions permit, then this is the most effective way to pitch because it allows the pitcher to have the most distance between feet, which is simple leverage. Some organizations may require to have the foot ON TOP of the rubber. But most merely say "contact with rubber". You'll have to consult your local rules.

OMG, I get so sick of people talking about illegal pitches. I don't read hitting threads or baserunning threads at all but do people honestly get as enraged and animated about runners leaving the bag early? Or a slapper being a foot out of the box at contact? NOT REALLY. yet, oh dear God, don't let Jennie Finch's back foot slide off the back of the rubber by an inch or 2.. heavens NO!!!! It's amazing how people only want to keep the pitcher down, while letting others get their form of advantages (high tech bats/balls, leaving early on steals, slappers, etc.)

Bill

May 12, 2008
My personal belief is that if the ground conditions permit, then this is the most effective way to pitch because it allows the pitcher to have the most distance between feet, which is simple leverage. Bill

That's what I'm trying to say. I would add "more distance to develop momentum".

May 13, 2008
Thank you to the person who emailed me and told me about this topic, I have not been on this site for quite a while. However, let me say this much... the foot placement part of my DVD is the only part of it I wish I could re-do. There are other things I think I could explain differently and/or better these days but the foot thing has always bothered me because a big part of what I said was edited out (no, I didn't do any of the editing). The heel/toe thing is not illegal and it's how I pitch when I'm playing under the ISF rules. It's not illegal unless the pitcher takes a stride forward prior to the push off. Without the stride, it's fine. There is no physical way to stay on the rubber and throw the ball, assuming he/she is actually taking a step or push forward. Pure momentum takes him/her off the rubber quickly. My personal belief is that if the ground conditions permit, then this is the most effective way to pitch because it allows the pitcher to have the most distance between feet, which is simple leverage. Some organizations may require to have the foot ON TOP of the rubber. But most merely say "contact with rubber". You'll have to consult your local rules.

OMG, I get so sick of people talking about illegal pitches. I don't read hitting threads or baserunning threads at all but do people honestly get as enraged and animated about runners leaving the bag early? Or a slapper being a foot out of the box at contact? NOT REALLY. yet, oh dear God, don't let Jennie Finch's back foot slide off the back of the rubber by an inch or 2.. heavens NO!!!! It's amazing how people only want to keep the pitcher down, while letting others get their form of advantages (high tech bats/balls, leaving early on steals, slappers, etc.)

Bill

Nice post, Bill.

Oct 23, 2009
Los Angeles

Bill

BH - as the original post for this thread, thanks for the clarification. I just received your DVD and that was the only part that I had questions about and was curious what others thought about the heel stance since I had never seen it taught that way before. For me, the ONLY reason I worry about whether or not the motion produces an illegal pitch is I want my young DD to learn correct techniques before she ingrains bad habits. I'm pro pitcher, believe me.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Preschuck