Pivot Foot Heel on Front of Pitching Plate?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 13, 2008
You gotta love pictures of elite pitchers breaking the rules :)

If she broke the rules I'm sure she'd be called on it. ;)

Rule 6-2c…About the pitch: the pivot foot may remain in contact with or may push off and drag away from the pitching plate prior to the front foot touching the ground, as long as the pivot foot remains in contact with the ground and within the 24-inch length. Pushing off with the pivot foot from a place other than the pitcher’s plate is illegal.

I have some umpire friends and this is how I'm told the rule is interpreted.

The confusing part is...

Pushing off with the pivot foot from a place other than the pitcher’s plate is illegal.

What is referred to here is a leap or crow hop where the pitcher is replanting.

Last edited:

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008

The confusing part is...

If you slide the foot forward of the rubber OR start off with the pivot foot pivot point forward of the rubber, you do not have to leap. crow hop or replant. You are simply pushing off from somewhere other than the pitcher's rubber. You are establishing a 2nd point of impetus. IP!.

Dec 23, 2009
San Diego
At the ASA rules clinic a couple of weeks ago, they gave us handouts with pictures of what is and is not considered illegal foot positioning for FP pitchers. Starting with the pivot foot heel against, not on top of, the pitcher's plate is one of those pictures that was called legal. I will scan it tomorrow and post for all to see.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
At the ASA rules clinic a couple of weeks ago, they gave us handouts with pictures of what is and is not considered illegal foot positioning for FP pitchers. Starting with the pivot foot heel against, not on top of, the pitcher's plate is one of those pictures that was called legal. I will scan it tomorrow and post for all to see.

Is this just a Socal thing? Is it going to be allowed at metro, regional and national tournaments? Is there mention of this in the ASA 2010 rulebook?

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
I stand corrected in my belief. I have heard from 2 umpires and because of the wording in both rulebooks, placing the heel against the front edge of the pitchers rubber will meet the criteria. Even if only 1/8th of an inch of the shoe being on top of the rubber will qualify, that call will never be made.

Placing the heel against the front edge is considered legal. It was not considered legal back when I pitched per the umps that explained it to me back then.

I still would not want to pitch like that as the dirt is never considered stable.

At any rate, I was mistaken and my apologies for any confusion.

Hal

The confusing part is...

So, you're saying that she has already pushed off of the plate, even though her stride foot is still flat on the ground behind her?

Being a VT fan, I followed Tincher's games pretty close when she was in college, and during her senior year, she started having some IP's called, and it was for her push foot coming up off the plate before she pushed off, just like this pic of Finch. I'm not saying Finch is alone, I'm sure if you look at still shots of most pitchers, their foot is actually pushing off from just in front of the plate.

Sorry, but to me, she's obviously "Pushing off with the pivot foot from a place other than the pitcher’s plate..."

Oct 22, 2009
Sorry, but to me, she's obviously "Pushing off with the pivot foot from a place other than the pitcher’s plate..."

I agree.
I can see one of either two things here.
1. She did step forward a little during her backswing--which is IP.
2. She's giving herself an advantage with a wider stance, if you measure her pivot foot to her back toe, that is a good 2 pitchers plates. Which is a much more comfortable position to pitch from.--still looks IP to me.

May 13, 2008
So, you're saying that she has already pushed off of the plate, even though her stride foot is still flat on the ground behind her?

Being a VT fan, I followed Tincher's games pretty close when she was in college, and during her senior year, she started having some IP's called, and it was for her push foot coming up off the plate before she pushed off, just like this pic of Finch. I'm not saying Finch is alone, I'm sure if you look at still shots of most pitchers, their foot is actually pushing off from just in front of the plate.

It is only illegal if the foot slides forward prior to beginning the motion, that is why it is occasionally called, otherwise it is perfectly legal. According to the only poster who has recently been to a rules conference at any rate.

May 5, 2008
Hal: thanks for checking on that and posting a clarification.

Sometimes rule books are just not worded all that well.

May 13, 2008
I still would not want to pitch like that as the dirt is never considered stable.

Possibly, but the wider you can spread your stance prior to pushing off the more you'll be able to engage the lower body and push off harder.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Preschuck