Pivot Foot Heel on Front of Pitching Plate?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 7, 2008
DFW
Thank you to the person who emailed me and told me about this topic, I have not been on this site for quite a while. However, let me say this much... the foot placement part of my DVD is the only part of it I wish I could re-do. There are other things I think I could explain differently and/or better these days but the foot thing has always bothered me because a big part of what I said was edited out (no, I didn't do any of the editing). The heel/toe thing is not illegal and it's how I pitch when I'm playing under the ISF rules. It's not illegal unless the pitcher takes a stride forward prior to the push off. Without the stride, it's fine. There is no physical way to stay on the rubber and throw the ball, assuming he/she is actually taking a step or push forward. Pure momentum takes him/her off the rubber quickly. My personal belief is that if the ground conditions permit, then this is the most effective way to pitch because it allows the pitcher to have the most distance between feet, which is simple leverage. Some organizations may require to have the foot ON TOP of the rubber. But most merely say "contact with rubber". You'll have to consult your local rules.

OMG, I get so sick of people talking about illegal pitches. I don't read hitting threads or baserunning threads at all but do people honestly get as enraged and animated about runners leaving the bag early? Or a slapper being a foot out of the box at contact? NOT REALLY. yet, oh dear God, don't let Jennie Finch's back foot slide off the back of the rubber by an inch or 2.. heavens NO!!!! It's amazing how people only want to keep the pitcher down, while letting others get their form of advantages (high tech bats/balls, leaving early on steals, slappers, etc.)

Bill

Geez Bill. Getting kind of sensitive in your old age aint ya? :) I do think there are a lot of people who would like to see softball become a hitters sport much more than a pitchers sport. When you get to solid pitchers together its often a 1 run game. Personally I like the game the way it is now.

Dana.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
THis is the problem with any DVD. They are good , but you need to work with Bill to understand what he teaches . Go to his web site and he has some good information. Same problems with those that buy Kobata's DVD, without working with him. DVD's just doesn't cover what they teach..

May 22, 2008
NW Pennsylvania
Thank you to the person who emailed me and told me about this topic, I have not been on this site for quite a while. However, let me say this much... the foot placement part of my DVD is the only part of it I wish I could re-do. There are other things I think I could explain differently and/or better these days but the foot thing has always bothered me because a big part of what I said was edited out (no, I didn't do any of the editing). The heel/toe thing is not illegal and it's how I pitch when I'm playing under the ISF rules. It's not illegal unless the pitcher takes a stride forward prior to the push off. Without the stride, it's fine. There is no physical way to stay on the rubber and throw the ball, assuming he/she is actually taking a step or push forward. Pure momentum takes him/her off the rubber quickly. My personal belief is that if the ground conditions permit, then this is the most effective way to pitch because it allows the pitcher to have the most distance between feet, which is simple leverage. Some organizations may require to have the foot ON TOP of the rubber. But most merely say "contact with rubber". You'll have to consult your local rules.

OMG, I get so sick of people talking about illegal pitches. I don't read hitting threads or baserunning threads at all but do people honestly get as enraged and animated about runners leaving the bag early? Or a slapper being a foot out of the box at contact? NOT REALLY. yet, oh dear God, don't let Jennie Finch's back foot slide off the back of the rubber by an inch or 2.. heavens NO!!!! It's amazing how people only want to keep the pitcher down, while letting others get their form of advantages (high tech bats/balls, leaving early on steals, slappers, etc.)

Bill

Bill, I understand completly where you are coming from on the IP thing, however , it seems to me that you are thinking as a pitcher, not a coach. As a pitcher, you are concerned about the matchup between pitcher, & batter in the box. As coach, I am concerned that I , & my pitcher have worked like a dog to make her pitches legal. Now if the opposing pitcher is getting away with an illegal pitch (wether the advantage is real or only percieved), is just wrong....actually I feel the advantage should go to the team with the legal pitcher....blue needs to get their head in the game & make the call.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32